ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megane

Does anyone on here have a new Megane? Im kinda sick of the 1.2 16V Clio and its gutless performance (well total lack of performance tbh). Was thinking of changing for a new Megane (probably a diesel cos my fuel bills are a bit high).

2 main questions are :

--they appear to be "better" built, is this true

--has anyone had any major problems with them.

Looking at a Dci80 (cost being the biggest factor) as they appear to hit the 50mpg average with ease? Other Dci (including Clios) owners, is this true? Do they get such good mpg?

Anyways, any info people can provide the better. Cheers

Erm is the new magane one of the new ugly breed?

Why dont you just get a diesal Clio? Chances are it will be the same or similar engine and you will get better performance out of it becase the clio is lighter. That also translates to better fuel econemy.

Paul

Im one of the seemingly few that loves the look of the new megane, its a fresh design which is rarely seen, so what it has an arse that many people hate, its different and there are some lovely kits available in Europe!!

Thinking of that as the next car!!!

320d M Sport

wish my car did that. I know mailto:m@thew">m@thew from here had one as a courtesy car (clio dci) and said it was fairly nippy, pulled well and was generally surprised.

he even said it was quicker than his 172..........................not really.

i hated the new megane but when i bought my ordered my clio last year i got a lift home in a new megane and it was an amazing car, old buy too from having meganes since they were launched hated it but has ordered one, a cheeky 3 door version with 16" alloys

I think I am going to have to wait until I can afford the 1.9Dci cos I like the idea of 120bhp and nearly 200nm of torque. The 6 speed box and all the toys would make it a nice car.

Would go for a 172 but its just toooo small, fine when only Im in it but an arse if I wanna carry passengers, no one can fit behind me.

I like the idea of driving a car that has genuinely fresh and funky styling. I dont like fitting into the crowd, and the megane doesnt either.

Just seems like a good propersition, even if it is 15.2K with the options i want

new megane makes everything else look old, build quality is good and longer wheelbase for better handling, better than my 172.

I have the Clio DCi 65 and get over 50mpg. The Clio DCi 80 is supposed to be even more economical, so Ive heard!

my clio (65hp) can get upto 72mpg with me behind the wheel but as i have a heavy right foot the rest of the time i get about 50mpg.

i cannot imagine u will feel the diesel clio being much faster, it may feel more so due to the low down torque. But the only fast non modified diesels i know of are

the golf gttdi 150hp (more like 180hp accorig to owners)

and the seat ibiza sport with 130hp (150hp version coming out soon)

skoda fabis 130 (coming out soon)

if u want a fast diesel with different looks then the megan or the ibiza definately different in my opinion for what its worth have a look at the ibiza standand they have 145hp and 230 lft of torque and chiping them hits 185hp and 300lb which is stunning and would shock many petrol drivers. it may be cheaper.

for more info try http://www.seatupra.net www.seatupra.net

if i was lookign for a car with good economy costing about 15k the seat would win every time. The megan wont be as fast or as economical.

it depends on how much driving u do have a look at the figures. sometimes the higher fuel economy and extra resale value dont equal the extra outlay wont equal what u spend on the diesel on the first place. also if u do loads of motorway miles them the higher gearing of the ibiza may be more comfortable and quieter.

also if ur tall them u may have problems finding any car which has space being u for someone to sit even my parents e class there is no space behind where i would sit in the driving seat.

My Dad who works for a Renault Dealer says in his honest opinion that the new Megane is very nice indeed, keyless ignition, cd and aircon as standard and some great engines, 1.6 petrol or the 1.5 common rail diesel would be the nippiest ones, quicker than a 1.2 clio, the 1.4 petrol megane would be the same or there abouts to the 1.2 clio performance wise, my girlfiend is thinking of doing the same thing, trading her 1.2 dynamique in for a new 1.6 or 1.5 dci megane

I have had my megane for 3 months now and it is great. It is the Dynamique (which is supposidly the sporty trim, alloys, sporty seats, etc.) 1.5DCi (80bhp). I got in in black, and when clean it looks the business. However, its not exactly exclusive as Renaut dont seem to be limiting the amount of black ones as I think some manufacturers do.

I travel from Bradford to Oldham every day over the hilly part of the M62 and if I do between 70 and 80 mph, I get about 50 to 55 MPG. If I stick to 60mph (which is sometimes necessary in rush hour) I get over 60 MPG. So getting over 60MPG on a flatish route would be easy.

Its not that fast, but does have a bit more pull up hills being a diesel. Its been back to the dealers twice so far. Once was a bit of trim which was loose, the other was a minor paintwork thing, probably just a one-off.

However, something I reckon may well be a common fault is the boot mechanism. Its not a standard mechanical catch, but a micro-switch that when pressed releases the boot. A couple of weeks ago I opened the boot and when I tried to close it the lock wouldnt engage. I noticed this on a showroom car before I bought it, so as I say, this may be a common problem. Not only would the boot not shut, but because of that none of the doors would lock!! So I had to go to the garage straight away and wait while it was fixed. Only took about 30 minutes as they simply changed it for a new one.

For your interest, I also testdrove the 1.9DCi and I so wish I could have afforded it as it was fantastic. The engine felt very powerful and the only reason I changed into 5th at 70 was through habit. I didnt even remember about 6th gear! Fortunately when we were going back to the garage we went up a road next to the motorway and there was a sluggish looking Vovlo which I decided to overtake. It simply flew past it. I was very very impressed. It is quieter than the 1.5DCi, with less engine noise. Saying that, the 1.5DCi is very quiet for the price of the car.

I really like the look of the new Megane, especially in the same red you can get the 172 in. Dont like the black bumpstrips they have like the lesser model clios. The interior is nice and better grade plastics are used. However despite that i dont think theres any arguement that dynamically the Megane isnt anything special, as someone else said i think a diesel Clio would be a better choice. Though if you carry passengers a lot then fair enough.

-Rob

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!

Quote: Originally posted by SoLow on 10 May 2003

I think I am going to have to wait until I can afford the 1.9Dci cos I like the idea of 120bhp and nearly 200nm of torque. The 6 speed box and all the toys would make it a nice car.

Would go for a 172 but its just toooo small, fine when only Im in it but an arse if I wanna carry passengers, no one can fit behind me.

I like the idea of driving a car that has genuinely fresh and funky styling. I dont like fitting into the crowd, and the megane doesnt either.

Just seems like a good propersition, even if it is 15.2K with the options i want
Do I have to answer this or can someone else do it who was at the meet on Sunday...:oops:

All I can say positive about this car is the funky sunroof and the petol cap......Renault really can do better :eek:

Negatively......the card system drives you nuts, as it usually gets left on the seat next to you at the petrol station so anyone can jump in press the start button and go....You cant open the boot with the drivers door open ?......the sterio in horrid...its horrible in the wet to drive......

I could go on & on & on & on & on

Rant over (for now)

Need to know anymore Pm me :D

My parents have a new Laguna with the 1.9 120bhp DCi engine. The car is the same size a an aeroplane and it still shifts quite nicely. I bet that engine in a Clio or a Megane would be great fun.

Rhys

Quote: Originally posted by Hippychick on 11 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by SoLow on 10 May 2003

Do I have to answer this or can someone else do it who was at the meet on Sunday...:oops:

All I can say positive about this car is the funky sunroof and the petol cap......Renault really can do better :eek:

Negatively......the card system drives you nuts, as it usually gets left on the seat next to you at the petrol station so anyone can jump in press the start button and go....You cant open the boot with the drivers door open ?......the sterio in horrid...its horrible in the wet to drive......

I could go on & on & on & on & on

Rant over (for now)

Need to know anymore Pm me :D

Surely style is a matter of opinion..

I think its a shame that the dare to be different styling from Renault and the new BMWs are criticised, its only because people are used to monotonous shapes which could have any badge slapped on it. Credit should be given to Renault for stepping outside of the box and defining its character and uniqueness.

-Rob