ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Michelin pilot 4 tyres, any good in the wet ?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I need some tyres for the MINI and fancy MPS4 as a road tyre and can be used as winter/wet track tyre ? Are they any good or would you recommend something else ? I presume Rainsports are good in the wet or cold but what are they like on a winter track if its dry ?
Cheers

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I have PS4s all round on my daily, and theyre fine. Better than most others Ive had, other than the PS3s as it happens- slightly preferred the PS3s

PS4s seem pretty good in both rain and dry, other than can be a little noisy i find. Nothin exceptional, just a bit rumbly.

I would have them again

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
They seem to get good all round reviews so probably go with them or maybe AD08RS but I am sure a few have said they were not that impressed by them

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Unless I'm really sharp on the throttle, on my M140i the PS4 tyres stay hooked the entire way through second gear.

They're mightily impressive in the wet.

I honestly have no idea how they can do that, they seem to have almost as much grip in the wet as they do in the dry.

I've not done a wet trackday on them yet, but might get a chance early December depending on lockdown etc. If so, I'm kinda hoping it's a wet day.

I need some tyres for the MINI and fancy MPS4 as a road tyre and can be used as winter/wet track tyre ? Are they any good or would you recommend something else ? I presume Rainsports are good in the wet or cold but what are they like on a winter track if its dry ?
Cheers

Get PS4 over rain sports for circuit use, they are just too soft. I've switched between both for years (well, for wet use). They are average on a dry track, as with any road tyres, but I suppose that depends how fast you are going and level your at. You can get them warm quickly.

I've ran PS4 on road cars since they were released... currently have no problem doing 20-25k with them @ 400hp/750nm 535d in the wet either!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Get PS4 over rain sports for circuit use, they are just too soft. I've switched between both for years (well, for wet use). They are average on a dry track, as with any road tyres, but I suppose that depends how fast you are going and level your at. You can get them warm quickly.

I've ran PS4 on road cars since they were released... currently have no problem doing 20-25k with them @ 400hp/750nm 535d in the wet either!

They last 20 25k on that?!

PS4's are brilliant in the wet, and dry for that matter. The only better road tyre in the wet IME is the Rainsport 5, however these are nowhere near as good in the dry but not terrible like the old Rainsport 3 which were far to soft.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
They are pretty good tyres not the miracle worker some are saying in here mind but they will grip quite easily in a straight line. Comparing it to dry in the corners though it's not even close imo but then what tyre is? I'll be replacing with them again when they're due a change. Have considered Rainsport 5 but the dry grip compromise wouldn't be worth it I don't think.

They last 20 25k on that?!

Yes, I suppose it depends how you drive... I don't launch it every time I set off!
The key I found with any of them is alignment... the E series I had previously and F series are terrible for tyre wear otherwise.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Bad alignment munched through my PS4's, common issue on Mk5/6 Golf platform cars tho.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
what makes you say this?
what would you suggest is better?

If you noticed in my post you'd see I said I'll be replacing mine with them again so I'm not suggesting anything is better. The rainsports could arguably be better in the wet but as I said the dry grip compromise wouldn't be worth it imo. I only said that because some of the comments in here would have you believe they grip in the wet as well as they do in the dry and I feel like I'm staying the obvious here but that's not true 😂.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I did read your post, I just thought with your last one that you were implying you had another alternative.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
They are pretty good tyres not the miracle worker some are saying in here mind but they will grip quite easily in a straight line.

Agreed- they are a good tyre (My experience is just roaduse not track) but not sure they are a a panacea, as Adam says
They are good both straight and cornering, good wet, but for track use ive not got experience bcos they are then pushed to the limit
Certainly worth the money

I did read your post, I just thought with your last one that you were implying you had another alternative.
The Goodyear F1 Supersports are at least on a par for dry/wet grip and potentially better depending on who you talk to (they are comparable to the PS4S whereas the lesser F1 Asymmetric is the direct competitor to the PS4).

Wear rate not as good as PS4 though. Michelin have perfected a secret sauce of grip + wear that other tyre brands have never matched.

One thing to bear in mind is the sidewalls on the PS4 are quite soft, which has its pros and cons (better compliance, poorer turn-in).

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Cheers chaps I’ll have a read up on the Goodyear’s as not seen them mentioned before.

@shiftspark just realised you're on 17" wheels. A good compromise between the PS4 and RS5 is Falkens FK510. They are bloody brilliant. Just fitted them to my F30 330d and also had them on my Mondeo ST.

I've mentioned it before in other threads they are very similar to PS4's in performance, they even have very similar tread pattern.

For 215 45 17 they're just £64 from Demon Tweeks. Cheapest PS4 i could find was £96. That's near 50% more expensive.

Screenshot_20201114-085307_Samsung Internet.jpg

PS4 below for comparison.

Screenshot_20201114-085459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Interesting read guys. I'm just about to replace all 4 tyres on my Turinis, so size will be 195\45\16. I was just going to get PS3s but man are they expensive!

Is there any other tyre out there that people would recommend for fast road driving? The car wont be going near a track.

Thanks

Have you got direct experience mate? I‘ll stump up for the PS3s if I have to as I know they are a great tyre. I just didnt want to fork out the best part of 100 quid a corner if there were comparable ( cheaper ) alternatives out there.

Im just out of touch with other performance tyres these days as I’m normally driving a lease car which is never old enough to need tyres.

Thanks.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
@shiftspark just realised you're on 17" wheels. A good compromise between the PS4 and RS5 is Falkens FK510. They are bloody brilliant. Just fitted them to my F30 330d and also had them on my Mondeo ST.

I've mentioned it before in other threads they are very similar to PS4's in performance, they even have very similar tread pattern.

For 215 45 17 they're just £64 from Demon Tweeks. Cheapest PS4 i could find was £96. That's near 50% more expensive.

View attachment 1505759

PS4 below for comparison.

View attachment 1505760

I can second this, got the FK510 in 17" on my wife's Civic Type S!

RS 200
Cheers
I have Pilots as a wet set for my clio racer - I had them on at Brands on a very wet track a few weeks back and they were brilliant - dont pay more than £110 / £120 each fitted. They can be really expensive some places.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Formula 1 autocenter has a good deal in these at the minute. I have 3mm left so decided to get them done now 4 x 235/45/18 £420 after a discount code and then another £50 cash back through Michelin so £370 for 4 tyres fully fitted seems like a good deal. Think their discounts vary for tyre size. For reference it's £112/tyre on camskill for that size.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Just put a set on my daily. 18’s and came in under £300 all in through Costco. Watched the whole process and came away mighty impressed. They seem to work well in the wet - night and day better than the Bridgestones they replaced 👍