ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mileage and buying advice

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Hey

Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum but wasn't too sure where to post!!! I'm trying to get a ph2 172 at the mo and I've found one on a 51 plate but it has 68k miles - is this considered high or average? If I was to look at this vehicle, what should I look for and what kinda price should I be looking at? When are the 172's due a cam belt etc??? Cheers.

Dan.

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Well the car is at 4750, I thought it seemed cheap? Maybe suspicious? So what kind of price would I be looking at from renault for the cam belt and a good all round service for peace of mind?

danjacko25 said:
Well the car is at 4750, I thought it seemed cheap? Maybe suspicious? So what kind of price would I be looking at from renault for the cam belt and a good all round service for peace of mind?
Personally I'd do the service myself the parts arn't much and it doesn't take that long.
The cambelt well GDI/Rentech or a Renault minute garage are your best bets preferably one out of town as they have lower labour rates. You'd be looking at I'd guess £250 from GDi (cambridge way) and Rentech (portsmouth way) and say £300 from Renault.

I wouldn't be suspicious at the price they are taking a right hammering at the moment with the release of the 197 so its infact 2 generations old in many people mind (182 is one generation old and you can pick them up for £8k).

You can pick up a phase 1 172 for £3k now quite commonly.

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
Going to look at this car today possibly, got an hours drive ahead of me to see it tho. It's on auto trader and has been there 2 weeks already and the guy on the phone didn't sound very helpful! I'm a bit worried it's gonna be in a mess, any hints n tips for things I should look out for? Thought a flamer at this price would get snapped up quickly!!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
As long as it's got a full service history, don't be put off by the millage, my MK2 172 feels faster now at just under 60K then it did at 45K.

Look out for a banging in low gears when accelerating hard as it's probably the engine mounts.

Clio 197 ('08 R'Blue)
I think that might be the problem - the auto trader ad just says "SH" so not even a FSH which could be a problem. I just wanna make sure I get a decent one first time round rather than a cheaper one which I'll end up spending tonnes on it to make it right! Common sense I know! lol Would it be beneficial to go for one from a trade garage? I've seen quite a nice one here:-

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/pdfs/1961928_130806023325.pdf

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/cla.../is/remotemanaged/AETA57805/AETV350864_1a.jpg