ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mini cooper s works v clio 182

Hi all,

This is my first post woohoo but have been reading the forums for a while now...

Ive seen most of the reviews for the clio 182 and how it compares to the cooper s but havent found any with it compared to the cooper s works.

The main bonus is obviously the price difference and all the standard equipment. I saw an all black mini cooper s yesterday and it just looked more solid and better looking compared to the clio. When i test drove the cooper s i loved it but in all the reviews the 182 comes out top.

Anyone driven the cooper s works and the clio 182 and have an opinion? Im pretty sure the clio 182 is what I will go for but just to hear some other opinions.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Cooper s works is £20,000+ isnt it?

for that i could nearly buy 2 182s

says it all really, the mini isnt built much better either, its just made of more expensive stuff.

ive seen them on sale used for 17 :D

doh my post sounds really stupid now when i say that...17 grand ouch...

never mind ignore me...it has to be a 182...:D

near enough tom. the mini is far more pricey the spec as standard is basic to say the least and the options carry a hefty price tag. i used to work for a BMW/mini main dealer and have to say i wasnt im pressed with the cooper s when i drove it, handles nice but never feels as quick as the 172/182 but then it has less power and more weight. the works pack takes it to the same sort of performance but thats about 3.5k ontop of the 14.5k for the car and that before you pay for the options to make it the same spec as the clio. they are the gay man/young girl about towns favourite and to me the interoir is fisher price like in its styling. add that to the faults the mini has and endless recalls/build quality issues and if i were you id save yourelf some cash and get the 182

[Edited by Loony on 9/4/2004 9:55:49 PM]

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

;)

But seriously, ive had my rattles sorted now and the car is bulit proof.

i love it, most of the time.

the only thing is...when i bought my 306 in 2001 i paid 10 grand for it...now ive been quoted 4 grand...thats 6 grand depreciation in a little amount of time...

should i buy new or wait until the new year when there should be more second hand 182s available?

minis hold theyre value well, but they cost alot more to start with!

a mini with the same spec as a 182 is going to cost you alot of money! just get the 182!

thats my non-biased opinion! ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its all relative im afraid.

french cars tend to do that, the only way to not loose much is to not keep it for long.

only you can make that choice depends on how much you can afford to lose on a car. dont pay list screw the dealers down on price or wait for one in a few months time or alternatively look into buying an ex demonstrator that usally takes the sting out of the depreciation as the dealer will have to do it a fair bit cheaper with about 3k on the clock.

Remapped derv Golf

A well speced Cooper S Works is almost Clio V6 money. We (us members here) know which wed rather have :).

Dont think its really fair to compare the two with the price difference! Compare the Works to a Focus RS or 147 GTA

dk

911 GTS Cab

someone at work has a cooper s works and without any of the nice works wheels and satnav etc he paid £23,000!!!!!!

It only has the same spec as my 182.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 05 September 2004

A well speced Cooper S Works is almost Clio V6 money. We (us members here) know which wed rather have :).

Dont think its really fair to compare the two with the price difference! Compare the Works to a Focus RS or 147 GTA
<SCRIPT language=javascript> and my choice would be the 147 GTA :)

as for the mini, i think the works looks nice but there is no way i would pay that amount of money for it

I test drove a mini cooper s works and loved it, it drove and handled nice and looks fantastic....however reality dawns when you look at the price tag, they wanted my car AND 10k and the mini has no improvement in performance over the Clio !!!:eek:

Its good, but not THAT good!!! But the 182 IS that good for the price! :)

Remapped derv Golf

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well said.

It isnt Worth 10k more than a 182. We all know the Cooper S Work is a superb little hot hatch but imo its very overpriced. Id rather spend £23k on a car that had a decent boot. Year old S3 money too!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ agree with all this

Had a couple of long test-drives in the MCS Works before I went with the 182 - without a shadow of a doubt it is a very swift & competent car - almost too smooth in its power delivery though (no real kick at any point made it feel slower than it was looking at the speedo!).

To spec a reasonable one youre looking at £20k; which is just too close to WRX money if you ask me!

[Edited by Matt ATR on 05 September 2004 at 3:27pm]

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 04 September 2004

says it all really, the mini isnt built much better either, its just made of more expensive stuff.
wtf its in a different league m8 in terms of build quality - 2 mates have em they are exqusite!!

i used to work with the things and if you want 4 pages just listing whats wrong with the things what breaks or was poorly designed poorly executed or just fitted wrong at the factory then i could start now, lol. they are sh*te and the build quality is no better than the clio.

Quote: Originally posted by dirtydingo on 05 September 2004

the clio 182 had me after the second post...you have all confirmed that it has to be the 182...

i loved that EVO review as well with it compared to the cooper s, type-r, focus and 206 180. If you havent read it yet I would recommend you do.

http://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/evo.ziphttp://www.leemather.plus.com/stuff/SPAN style=COLOR: #000000; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff66">evo.zip

Does anyone have a copy of this?? its a review ive heard of but never read. cheers in advance

The build quality issues have been adressed with the MINI. The dash is now made from 3 pieces instead of 5, for instance.

Renault dont seem concerned with improving build quality.

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 05 September 2004

wtf its in a different league m8 in terms of build quality - 2 mates have em they are exqusite!!
No chance mate. My gfs mums cooper is a rattling, whining, back-to-garage-three-times-in-a-month, cretinous heap of sh*te, filled with fisher price plastic unashamedly passed off as brushed aluminium. And its supposed to be retro. My arse. Lovely drive , but different league in terms of build?? No way.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 06 September 2004 at 10:45am]

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 05 September 2004

LOL! You reckon? My mates got a Mini One and its been back to BMW 26 times in the last 18 months (none of which are routine servicing). Anyones Clios been back to Reno 26 times in 18 months?

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 06 September 2004

LOL! You reckon? My mates got a Mini One and its been back to BMW 26 times in the last 18 months (none of which are routine servicing). Anyones Clios been back to Reno 26 times in 18 months?
nah not 26, most are still waiting for it to come out of the garage after the first problem... ;)

Clio 200 Cup packed

a girl i work with had a mini one, it returned to garage so many times she wrote a letter and they swapped it for a new cooper 12 month after she originally purchased hter mini one!

My Clio has some faults but the Mini my wife had was a pos. It had design, build and material problems from day one and the BMW dealers had no idea how to fix it. Eventually we rejected it and had our money back.

Ive driven a MCSWorks and it went pretty well and I like the Mini handling but it was no better than the 182 and cost 2/3 as much again! BMW must be laughing all the way to the bank. In compariosn buying a Reno is like a direct payment from the French taxpayer which is a minor miracle all in itself. Vive La Regie!

i aint had one problem so far with me 182 done 3000+ miles now a few very minor rattles but no more than me mates cooper s. his went back to his dealer 8 times before he hit 3000 miles. he has had new front seats fitted new head unit, rattles from behind the dash, rattles from the boot area and a few other minor things. plus he was warned when he bought it that when the cars 3/5 yr free serviceing runs out to expect the price of the car to tumble as people are now going to want to pay bmw prices on serviceing a mini and that was the whole point that bmw done the tlc package with the car in the first place. but for value for money you wont beat the 182 ever.