ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Minor Gearbox oil leak

Corsa 1.8 SRi
Hi all,

I'm a new member to the forum who has been looking for a decent 182 for some time.

I *think* I may have potentially found a good candidate (just under 90k miles, cam belt, aux belt and dephaser pulley changed less than 3 years ago, Speedline Turini's and a price of about £3.1K).

However, the seller has just mentioned that there is a "Slight gearbox oil leak...". I will ask him what constitutes "slight" (as it's a fairly subjective term!), but just wanted to check in with people who are more knowledgeable about 1*2's and their foibles whether I should run for the hills and find another car or whether this isn't something to worry about.

(Yes, I did use the search button beforehand but figured this would be a good way to introduce myself to the forum).

Thanks,
Adam

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
All sport boxes leak from the selector seal and it’s typical unless the box has been rebuilt - even then it’s only temporary.

You will need to have a look at it really but they only tend to leak from a few places, driveshaft seals (easy to fix) and the selector seal (rebuild).

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
They all leak, as long as it's not pissing out don't worry.

Just top it up every so often like all other owners do.

RB 182 FF
Yeah I wouldn't worry... My 182 has been very wet underneath for years, the undertray is always sodden... I see it as an anti corrosion device.. 😀👍🏻

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
All sport boxes leak from the selector seal and it’s typical unless the box has been rebuilt - even then it’s only temporary.

You will need to have a look at it really but they only tend to leak from a few places, driveshaft seals (easy to fix) and the selector seal (rebuild).
Oh I just assumed that the oil dripped down and happened to collect at the selector area - makes sense that its actually leaking from there!

Are the driveshaft seals an easy remove and replace job?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Mines leaked for the past 4 years! A top up sees you alright.

As mentioned, they all leak unless they've been rebuilt. Its normally the selector seal that goes, which causes the leak and has to be fitted from inside the box. I think rebuilds are around £300-£400 if you decide to go down that route but if it drives ok with no crunches then a £10 top bottle will do 👍