ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mintex M1166 .........thoughts please

I considered then right up to yesterday, found so many poor reviews it put me off. My RC6 have performed perfectly but annoyed they're almost dead after two track days 😧 I think I'm going DS3000 from George next time.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Needing something to replace my DS3000 (that replaced my DS2500). Wasnt impressed by either! 3000 work well but wore out so quickly.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just googled and found this

M1144

Designed for the fast road car and track day market, the M1144 compound from Mintex delivers a medium torque level with a coefficient of friction of just over 0.4. With medium fade resistance and positive pressure modulation, this compound proves to be a good all round pad which won’t need any more bedding in than a standard road pad.

Key Points:
• Medium Torque Level
• Medium Fade Resistance
• Positive Pressure Modulation

M1155

Produced for the track, the M1155 Compound has a medium friction level of just over 0.4 which is available at temperatures of up to 700°C. With a flat friction curve, the braking performance remains stable at any temperature, giving the driver confidence at any point of a race or stage. With positive brake pressure modulation and a high fade resistance up to 600°C, the M1155 compound is ideal for Group A and Group N Rally cars, Dirt track and Circuit use.

Key Points:
• Friction Coefficient of 0.4 up to 700°C
• Stable Performance at Any Temperature
• High Fade Resistance

M1166

Manufactured to work from cold and keep on working until hot, while holding its friction level, the M1166 compound has been designed to provide consistent braking performance. With an optimum working temperature between 200°C and 400°C, this compound works well in long distance events where the demands on the braking system do not reach high temperatures. Positive pressure modulation and stable braking performance make this compound suitable for saloon car, single seater and sportscar use.

Key Points:
• High Performance from Cold
• Flat Friction Curve Across the Temperature Range
• Average Friction Coefficient of 0.45
• Suitable For Medium to Long Distance Use

So 1155 seem to be the ones to try

CLIO 172,CLIO182
Just found this........
M1166
The M1166 is purely for competition use and is produced to work from cold and keep on working until hot, while holding its friction level, the M1166 compound has been designed to provide consistent braking performance. With an optimum working temperature between 200°C and 400°C but stable until 700°C, this compound works well in long distance events where the demands on the braking system do not reach high temperatures. Positive pressure modulation and stable braking performance make this compound suitable for saloon car endurance racing, single seater and sportscar use.

CLIO 172,CLIO182
The M1166 seems to have a higher coefficient of friction over the complete heat range..............

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm in need of pads or discs at the least. May go trusty £18 pagids or stump the cash up for these depending on user reviews

Track 172 Cup
I like my RC6 but as MarkX has pointed out the do seem to be wearing down quick (mine dont seem to wear as bad as his but driving styles differ and all that) I'm keen to either try the next level of carbon lorraine (RC8 or something) or maybe the DS1.11 although it was mentioned about the quality of the OEM Brembo after they have been run in heated up then left too cool. Although im not too keep to test them out yet lol

Anyone else tried Pagid Blues?

I had them on for over two years of road driving - good from cold (although not as good as RC5+), consistent brake feel (whereas the RC5+ could be difficult to modulate from cold as they'd warm up while you had your braking foot in one position, increasing stopping power without you moving your foot... lol), and not too silly a price.

I would note that I don't brake much, though.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not bothered at all about how they work from cold as I just use standard cheap ones for the road. However I track the car round Knockhill which has 2/3 massive stops, roughly a 100>70, 80>40 and 100>30. And being such a short track they never get much time to cool down!
I think that's why I'm so hard on them these days. Maybe race pads are the next step, it's just £200 for pads is hard to stomach!

Track 172 Cup
Same here now I use the Brembo OEM stuff from George on the road to save my RC6 for track as they seem to wear pretty quick (plus the squeal does my head in on the road lol) but found the RC6 were fine performance wise on the road never had any issues bar noise I'm also keen to try something else just like @Djw John says £200 for pads is £50 more than the RC6 which seem to do what i need for now.

Anyone have any idea how the DS1.11 last (maybe @George@RTR_Parts can shed some light) like how many days you get from them, which i know is hard as we will all drive different and at different tracks (I'm mainly Oulton as its local)

Also sorry OP for going slightly off topic in your thread.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
How long is a piece of string Stu :tongueout: @StuOwen86 , lots of factors come in to play mate -driving style and length of stints on track to name a couple

What I will say is the DS1.11 do wear very well for the type of pad it is, also kind on discs aswel. They are the control pads for the Clio Cup cars (with DS2500 in the rear) , they are proper pads. Few lads running them now @AdamR @sonny172cup @MicKPM @Dan@SJM

Track 172 Cup
Yeah George that's why I think it's hard to ask what people think about pads sometimes you'll have to bite the bullet and just try some different pads too see what you find best for yourself, just with the cost it's not something i can justify swapping out if you don't like them.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I do know the answer to this but I'm tired, second opinion and all that.

Will check pad life but I need discs they wobble like I used too after a few pints. Do both together?

Track 172 Cup
Off topic but just found out apparently my VXR8 AP Racing setup run's DS2500 and I don't think they're that impressive tbh although 600hp and 1900kg takes some stopping lol and I HATE the amount of dust they give off. Good job the clio is only 167hp and 1000kg (ish) lol

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I've managed to get some 1166 cheap for my megane so can offer brembo related opinion after next weekend. All reviews point towards not being an out and out track day hero pad but still capable of both.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm not bothered at all about how they work from cold as I just use standard cheap ones for the road. However I track the car round Knockhill which has 2/3 massive stops, roughly a 100>70, 80>40 and 100>30. And being such a short track they never get much time to cool down!
I think that's why I'm so hard on them these days. Maybe race pads are the next step, it's just £200 for pads is hard to stomach!

I've never had a problem with my RC5's round Knockhill yet John. Only thing I ever feel is the tyres going off and ABS kicking in. Granted I might no be as hard on the brakes as you oldies :wink: but they seem more than up for the job! Last well too.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yep, love the DS1.11s. Great feel, don't fade, last ages. Used them on the road (with non-servoed brakes and twin masters) and no issues there either, fine from cold as long as you remember!

1144s: s**t.
RC5: Also very good.
DS2500s: Decent if you can get through the fiddly bedding in process correctly.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Oh, had some 1155s on the back of a car once too, weren't any better than OE pads and didn't last any longer either.