ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire and speedo dancing

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Got a really bad misfire and the speedo sometimes dances up and down when accelerating. Speedo problem started after the ABS and SERV lights briefly came on. Read that it could be ABS rings but my rears are oem and less than two months old.

No engine management lights have come on since the misfire started. Misfire seems to happen when engine is either under load or doing above 60mph. My spark plugs are two years old so is this the most likely reason for the problem?

Thanks for your help.

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I'm going to try some new spark plugs tomorrow. Are the NGK PFR6E-10 best? If that doesn't work is it worth getting uprated HT leads or should I just stick with oem?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Bumping this as the misfire is back after the new plugs fixing it. Misfire doesn't always happen but when it does it's under load from 3000rpm onward.

Am I right in thinking only possible causes are the ht leads, coilpack or tdc sensor? Don't want to change parts unnecessarily so what is best way to diagnose the problem?

Cheers

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
Awesome :) Thats good!

Cheap fix to!

Yes, you've saved me a fortune, thanks again for sending them so quickly :D

Glad to hear it's sorted Tim.

So am I! It had misfired a few times over last two months but I'd just ignored it until it got very bad this week :eek:

Don't know if its a placebo effect but I took the car out for a play this afternoon and it seems more powerful now :cool:

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
My car misfired a couple of times today. I've changed the spark plugs then fitted Ben's spare set of leads and both fixed the problem temporarily. Any suggestions for what I should do next?