ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire - changed lots but it's still there!

Liquid yellow 182
Done a lot of searching already but obviously a very common problem with lots of potential causes.
If i could get some feedback on the comments below that would be great.

Had emissions light come on solid periodically. But it goes off so had ignored it.

Misfire started gradually e.g. on motorway slight hesitation.
Changed coil pack to £30 ebay special. seemed OK

Developed into full blown misfire. Flashing emissions light. Towed home by RAC. Fault code lambda bank 1 sensor 1.

Changed plugs - found cylinder 1 plug well, and spark plug covered in oil from spill while topping up.
Changed leads to magnecor blue.

Misfire went away on idle, but came straight back when up to temp

Changed Lambda sensor.
Checked plugs - still slight oil residue on new no. 1 plug. Cleaned it off.

Misfire went away at idle, and on 15 min test drive. Next day moving the car around misfire came back.

Checked plugs no oil residue.
Cleaned throttle body and inside manifold. Fair bit of oil / gunge in there.
Cleaned MAP sensor, Cleaned plenum sensor (temp??) used brake cleaner... probably fucked MAP up more?

Plugging and unplugging MAP sensor doesn't seem to make a difference... what SHOULD happen if you do??
Haven't checked injectors - do i need special tool?
Where is TDC sensor??

Will the missfire kill my new lambda and coil pack?
How sensitive is the car to proper NGK spark plugs - I just put in the reccomended Bosch plugs from eurocarparts.

I've dropped the oil and filters while we're at it too. but can't see how this would have an effect.

Thanks for reading this far!

Hero Spec Nimbus 200
Yup stick ngk's in or doesnt provide and efficient burn and can damage the cat.

But don't keep spending money on parts, the money you've spent replacing things you could have had it diagnosed proffesionaly and repaired by now. just a tip anyway.

Liquid yellow 182
Yeah, no more new parts! Had tried to work through the parts in a logical order, but it hasn't worked.

Question is... Renault garage or find someone with RS Tuner??

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, can't offer any help.

Maybe post in your area's meet section, see if anyone local will lend you an RSTuner :)

Da

Less
Sounds like the MAP sensor. If it's misfiring/idling rough and you unplug the sensor then nothing will change (I think).

Do you know anyone local that can lend you their sensor to try?

Liquid yellow 182
OK... in case anyone is searching for the same issue here's an update. I put the car into Renault today to get the Aux belt done, and diagnose the misfire.

Don't think Renault found anything useful on diagnostics. They tried changing the spark plugs, and it wasn't that. They did a compression test and it was OK, so tomorrow they're going to check the injectors.

So far for the bill for Diagnostic and 1.5hrs labour to check the injectors is £180.

Some info I got from a bloke on Pistonheads which sounds credible...

Bloke on PH said:
There is no cam sensor on a 182. Crank sensors on 182s rarely fail as this part was an update on the older version for the 182 due to issues with the original 172 Ph1/Ph2 sensor.

There is also no MAF sensor, the Sirus ECU on the 182 is pressure based via a MAP sensor on the end of plenum, if this fails gracefully it'll run throttle based in limp mode.

You likely have a failing injector. Measure the resistance of each injector with a meter, if one is high/low compared to the other three change it. You will need to remove the crash cover on the fuel rail to access the injectors (deep 10mm socket with a 1/4 drive on the end will just fit). This would also match in with the lambda fault as the adaptions will be pulled to the limit with a failing injector which the ECU will assume is a lambda fault if the adaptions are pinned at the end of the range for a decent amount of time.

Clio sport 182
Tbh if you're handy yourself getting an injector out isn't to hard... 180 is a nasty bill :(. If you do do this yourself take them out keep them plugged in and turn the key over and place a sheet of paper over all 4 injectors you should see 2 squirts per injector I think its 2 on these. The one with 1 or no squirts is the problem ;)

172 ph1
You sure you routed the leads through the proper clearing in the intake manifold? I didn't (was my first time working on the car) and destroyed some new leads as they got clamped when the manifold was bolted back on.

OK... in case anyone is searching for the same issue here's an update. I put the car into Renault today to get the Aux belt done, and diagnose the misfire.

Don't think Renault found anything useful on diagnostics. They tried changing the spark plugs, and it wasn't that. They did a compression test and it was OK, so tomorrow they're going to check the injectors.

So far for the bill for Diagnostic and 1.5hrs labour to check the injectors is £180.

Some info I got from a bloke on Pistonheads which sounds credible...

Hello I'm the bloke on PH. Where are you based?

Liquid yellow 182
Swindon....

...and you were right. Thanks for the advice. (If i had more time, I would have done the checks you advised - but the Mrs needs the car on the road so it had to go in).

Renault found a problem with one of the injectors. They wanted to change all 4 for £600. (plus the aux belt that was also getting done)

In the end I've got them to change just the broken one, and do the aux belt.

so... £300 for aux belt, £356 for Diagnostics & replacing one injector. Picking the car up tomorrow.

TBH I think that if anyone gets a misfire, and you have the time... its probably cheaper to replace everything, than it would be at a dealership for diagnostics to get the single item replaced!(and then maybe you get an improvement for new lambda etc anyway)

Swindon....

...and you were right. Thanks for the advice. (If i had more time, I would have done the checks you advised - but the Mrs needs the car on the road so it had to go in).

Renault found a problem with one of the injectors. They wanted to change all 4 for £600. (plus the aux belt that was also getting done)

In the end I've got them to change just the broken one, and do the aux belt.

so... £300 for aux belt, £356 for Diagnostics & replacing one injector. Picking the car up tomorrow.

TBH I think that if anyone gets a misfire, and you have the time... its probably cheaper to replace everything, than it would be at a dealership for diagnostics to get the single item replaced!(and then maybe you get an improvement for new lambda etc anyway)

Glad it's fixed but It's even cheaper if you speak to us (or Fred at BTM, Paul at RS, the Kevs at Birchdown etc. etc.) i.e. companies that have the required knowledge and experience to accurately diagnose an issue and resolve it.

For what it's worth the last failed injector Clio we had in came to 1 hour to diagnose and replace + cost of injector, about £130 plus the VAT if I remember correctly.

It's a rubbish situation that what are realisticaly the best hot hatches made in the past decade are backed up but a consistantly piss poor dealership chain (aside from a couple of shining examples of how it should be done).

Liquid yellow 182
I'd like to add, I'm not getting at Renault here though, went there with my eyes open.
Their labour rate has to support all the showroom overheads, so thats what you're paying for unfortunately.

Next time will look for an indy... cambelt etc... but by the time you need one, it's often too late!!
(and then you have to get the car there!)

Last edited: