ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire Issue

Evo 8 MR
I seem to be cursed somehow because every new years eve my car develops a fault. Weirdly the car runs fine and there are no lights on the dash until I put my foot down, as soon as the throttle position is around 50% or greater the car judders, loses power and I can hear the engine struggling like it's sort of choking and if I'm aggresive enough on the pedal it pops too even when warm which never normally happens. As soon as I let off or just decrease the accelerator it's fine again.

I can drive around just going easy on it and it runs fine, it's kind of weird because I thought there would be a light up on the dash.

At the moment I'm guessing it's an issue with either the coilpack, spark plugs or throttle body. The coilpack however has been changed about 12 months ago. If it was a sensor there should be a light on the dash surely?

If anyone can shine some light on this it would be much appreciated.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Have you got an RSTuner to plug it into to have a look at the previous fault codes?

Evo 8 MR
No and no.

I've been advised to check the map sensor so I went to remove it this morning and it came off in my hand, with part of the sensor still inside.

Just my luck. I've ordered a new one but it wont be in stock until tomorrow.

Now it wont even idle properly, £70 bill before I even start to diagnose the problem, great!

I don't think it's even driveable now.

Evo 8 MR
I've removed the inlet plenum and got rid of the remaining old sensor. I noticed the inlet is full of oil though and the throttle body was gunked up to fook!

I gave the throttle body a clean and emptied out some of the oil from the plenum lol and then re-fitted including a new map sensor.

Promptly started it up and it idle'd like a beaut. However...the underlying issue is still there. I've now ordered a coilpack from Renault, picking it up tomorrow morning.

Evo 8 MR
Fitted the new genuine coilpack this morning, the old one was infact non gen, wasn't me who fitted it btw.

The old one was also damaged on lead 1 so I'm wondering if it caused it to produce a weak spark on cylinder 1 maybe?

Anyway the new one is on and it was a damn sight easier to do the bolts up than it was to remove them on the old one and it runs sweet as a nut.

I'd like to say thanks to f0xy as he was the one who advised me to check that first.

I think the moral of the story is don't buy non genuine coilpacks, this one has been on for just over 12 months and has now failed.