ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missed my 330, so i bought another ...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Basically i was going to sell the 320d & the Trophy, so test drove a few e46 M3's with a view to buying one. Now, here are the words that i never thought would exit my mouth.

Utter disappointment.

Nowhere near as raw as my old Z3M, quick, but no real feeling of speed, & certainly not as fun as the Trophy, unless you're being daft, which is difficult unless you're on a track, where you will be hassled by clio's on 888's, especially once your standard brakes have wilted. Put simply, it wasnt worth flogging both my cars to buy/afford to run one.

As such, i taxed the Trophy for another 6 months, and starting looking for another 330 :eek:

Found one on eBay, liked the description, was owned by a member of detailingworld, so sounded like it would be decent enough. Put in an insulting offer. Accepted. Collected on Saturday. Exactly as described, ie really rather nice :cool:

Compared to the non-facelift 330ci Sport i had before, the 6 speed box makes a MASSIVE difference to mpg for the type of driving i do, i.e. mostly motorway. Revs at sat at just under 2.5k at 80 leptons ... 5 sp was about 700rpm higher iircc. So gives a good 4-6mpg more. Xurrently averaging 35.3mpg after 600 miles.

Sat with cruise at 70 yesterday saw 39mpg, from a 231bhp, 3.0 straight six ;)

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

To be fair, the 320d does about 15-18mpg more to the gallon, no matter how you drive it. I would imagine that after a month or so, 330 mpg will be at 33, whereas the derv will constantly sit at 48mpg (saving approx. £100 a month for circa 25k miles a year).

Very pleased :D

Mk5 golf gti
Is this a mpg thread? Lol

I love 330 s but you already know that

How long till you sell it and buy an m3?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I'm sure this will be the stop gap car before actually buying an M3.

I think it looks pretty mundane in blue with black leather.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'm sure this will be the stop gap car before actually buying an M3.

I think it looks pretty mundane in blue with black leather.

Oh yeah, it will be, when the Trophy gets part-ex'd for a house, ill buy an M3 as it still offers a very good blend of mile munching motorway ability/handling/speed, etc. But for the moment, whilst i can afford it, i feel that two cars are still the better option.

Colour wise, i like blue 3 series lol. Already had: avus (e36), le mans (e92), orient & estoril (e46's), so mystic was next on the list ;)

330's are a utter disapointment tbh.

Why just out of interest? I guess it depends what you expect from the car - its a big smooth, comfy, motorway barge, nothing more.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Why just out of interest? I guess it depends what you expect from the car - its a big smooth, comfy, motorway barge, nothing more.

My mother has one. Tbh i find it so bland. They are pokey but not quick. I guess for what you require it ticks all the boxes but then id say the 320d would too.

Evo 5 RS
Scrubbed up well compared to the old add pics..

It's a comfortable mile eater with a nice engine. They're not neck rippingly fast, but if you look at what you could spec up from the factory when new they're seriously cool. I wouldn't say bland.. I can think of a lot more blander cars for the money..

VW Touran, BeetleCab
Hi,
Big sis has just bought a 330d on a 60plate. None of us are big BM fans, but she loves it already. A comfy mileater that will accomodate 4 and get you from A to B at a good pace. All boxes ticked. Hoping to take it for a spin next week when I see her.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dave, how many cars has your plate been on now? It must be the most featured number plate on the HPI register! lol.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
They are pokey but not quick. I guess for what you require it ticks all the boxes but then id say the 320d would too.

You're right, they dont feel especially quick, too smooth for their own good really. But it will pull from 1k rpm in 6th, & when you spend a lot of time in rush hour, on the M3, a lazy/torquey drive is more important than outright speed tbh.

And yeah, the 320d does the job very well, but i simply prefer a petrol engine.

Dave, how many cars has your plate been on now? It must be the most featured number plate on the HPI register! lol.

This will be the 12th car in 7 years .... nearly £1300 to the DVLA :dapprove:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You're right, they dont feel especially quick, too smooth for their own good really. But it will pull from 1k rpm in 6th, & when you spend a lot of time in rush hour, on the M3, a lazy/torquey drive is more important than outright speed tbh.

And yeah, the 320d does the job very well, but i simply prefer a petrol engine.

Well there you are then. They are good cars and it sounds like it ticks all your boxes. I hope you enjoy her..:)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I like your 320D.The colour and how it looks.

As the 330i is more sporty i would have liked to have seen maybe black with red leather seats.? i dont know...lol

Im a big bmw fan, nearly bought a 320td, but got the clio instead.

How many cars do you need? LOL

LOL I ask myself the same thing sometimes, dont know about the OP
I have 2 at the mo, and I always want 3, but when I do have 3 one never gets a look in.

I still can't get over your gangster lean.

Driving out the rear windows, yo.

hahah I just noticed that - looks more like a bed than a seat!

LOL I ask myself the same thing sometimes, dont know about the OP
I have 2 at the mo, and I always want 3, but when I do have 3 one never gets a look in.

LOL I have 2 - I don't think I'd be able to stomach paying 3 lots of tax/mot/insurance - 2 is bad enough!

320d
A E46 coupé must be the best way to make yourself look a lot richer than what you are. I'm not saying that as an insult by the way but they look so much more expensive than they actually are.

You can pick up a leggy one for as little as £2K, stick a private plate on it and average joe thinks your a high roller.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
A E46 coupé must be the best way to make yourself look a lot richer than what you are.

lol, couldnt agree more. Turned up to work in it on Monday and the new guy at work was like 'wow, how do you manage to buy so many nice cars-you must be minted!!'.

Little does he realise that the '11 plate Fiesta he just bought is probably worth considerably more than both my 330 & Trophy combined ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Would probably be quite nice to watch the breakfast news whilst sat in the morning M3 traffic jam tbh ...

But no, probably not, more likely to browse CS instead ;)

(30 seconds onwards)

Last edited by a moderator:

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yes forgot you were a Motorway cruiser.... Cs on the move is definitely needed.... Heaven forbid a BMW thread is posted and you are driving so don't get the 1st post in it ;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Right ho, back from Thailand now so been doing some looking into the Dynavin a little more & well, its just seemed a little unfinished to be spending £600 on tbh. The bluetooth connection to the phone doesnt pull up your contacts list apparently, so you still need to use the phone to dial - so id still need to buy a Parrot handsfree in order for it to work properly. In addition, the Sat nav is also rather average compared to a TomTom :dapprove:

As such, i've just ordered another Parrot MKi9200 instead. Was awesome in the 320d, so seems like the best option. Will also be keeping the retro tape player in the dash instead of upgrading to CD. I've got a 6 disc changer, & will shortly have full iPod access, so spending another £100 on a single disc seems rather pointless!!

Other purchases include:

1. Proper Bosch flat wipers as the current ones are absolutely terrible. More smears than the local clap clinic.
2. New wheel bolts, the current ones are rusty, & whilst i could probably clean them up/paint them, i cant be bothered.

Over the next month or so, i will also be carrying out an Inspection 2 (done in Feb when the previous owner bought it, but i dont trust other peoples work, especially 2nd hand car dealers) & its only £120 or so in parts. I'll also be getting it up in the air so that i can check all the bushes etc, before i get the geo done & 4 new FK452's fitted. To be honest, only the rears need replacing, but for the sake of another £150 or so, i'd much rather have a full matching set of tyres.

Mpg is currently at 35.3, so i've lost 12mpg over the derv, but gained a far better drive. Happy.

53 Clio's & counting
Looks lovely - many miles? Mind saying what you paid mate? As you were saying, good idea for a nice run around....