ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

missfirey problems would cylinderhead cause this?K4M

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
hi everybody,
as above iv got a missfire under revs and low idle which drops on clio's own accord, Car is a - 99 v reg 1.6 16v Si k4m 102k

car has been off road for a long time(prob over a year) in this year ive needed new radiator and manifold, clio has been overheated a few times and manifold sounding like a rally car as one of the 4 branches was burnt right threw.
iv replaced rad+mani and since then i have had a lumpy idle and missfire threw rev range,
ive drained and flushed coolant and oil yesterday(sunday 24th) to which its slightly helped thou still got the dut-dut-drrr-dut-dut-drrr-dut-dut on idle then once revs are on off course the drrr becomes more constant.

im thinking since its been overheated a few times maybe the head has been caused sum damage....
ive replaced my battery and was given a 063 not the 065 so unsure whether this would cause anything...
i took my compression tester yesterday to test cylinders thou i couldnt get a hold of the spark plug with the long sockets i had and then just got on with oil+coolant change...

kinda stuck now between sending it to garage for head treatments or investigating plugs+leads further myself.....ANY CLIOSPORT HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!

MANY THANKS :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Compression test is a good place to start, if the gasket is yielding between a couple of cylinders it could cause the sort of issues you are talking about.

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
yeah i need to find the right socket to get to the spark plug tried everything i had yesterday and couldn't get it with it needing a long socket

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do you not have an extension you can use? Thats all I do, normal plug socket on a long extension.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I would suspect a pencil coil has failed, the description makes me think its running on 3 cylinders. These engines eat pencil coils!

CLIO-Si

ClioSport Club Member
  1.6Si + 182
swapped coils to ones i had changed last year as i bought a new set to see if they improved..
one spark plug was fried the rest ok so after checking all plugs and compression im started and no missfire..so all good untill i try start it from cold and it struggles again....

.... not starting and im swapping coils and plugs to try anything an nothing...so i try start it in first to move car a little bit an next turn of the key it starts...so away fior drives and all seems ok and good threw the gears...
left while had tea and a cuppy and not starting again so i dunno...