ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Missfiring, now it wont start (PH2-172)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
So, i was just out getting fuel before picking up my girlfriend, came off a roundabout in second gear and started to accelorate up through the revs as you do, got to about 3.5-4k rpm and the car started to missfire/splutter.
There was a really strong smell of like eggs or something similiar smelling.

I slowed down to try and make it home but then all the lights came on flashing at me on the dash, then the one in the centre (looks like a heart moniter) stayed on along with the engine managment light.

Ive spoken to Yellow_Chris and my brother and they both think it could be CAT related?

Now, the thing is, i put the car into halfrauds last week or the week before to get my manifold-CAT gasket changed and the polish technician took 3 hours to change it, i supplied the parts as i had previously read that you should only use Renault parts.

Another thing, my lambda(?) sensor was rubbing on my exhaust for a while ad was partially worn but my cousin cable tied it up to the heatshield and it was fine, could it be this?

The car isnt starting at all now.

If anyone could give me some information on this i would really appreciate it!

Thanks, Liam.

clio 182
could be a variation of things mate and the lambda sensor is one of which it could be, best bet chuck a fault code reader on the ecu and get the codes of that then you'll be sure as to what it is

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Would the lambda cause it not to start though?

Im a bit fussy about putting it to renault and paying 60 incase they dont find anything s money is really tight at the moment, couldnt of happened at a better time tbh :s

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Coilpack pal. Try and start the engine and use a bit of throttle to keep it going.

Mine did this and it STUNK of egg when the car was running. So bad it made my ex missus vomit after we got out of the car.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
It does sound like its something to do with the coils, its got new plugs and leads on it, how would i know if it was the coilpack or not?

Thanks!!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It does sound like its something to do with the coils, its got new plugs and leads on it, how would i know if it was the coilpack or not?

Thanks!!

Couple of ways, best of them being find someone with one you can borrow.

Other than that if you get someone in the car, and take the coils out 1 at a time and lie them on something metal where they wont roll off etc. Get someone to crank the engine and if there is a spark that coil is fine. Then proceed to try each one.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Are 182 and 172 coilpacks ke 1 the same?

Sorry im a biit of a thicko when it comes to engines...

Take 1 lead off, or 1 plug out? :S

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Are 182 and 172 coilpacks ke 1 the same?

Sorry im a biit of a thicko when it comes to engines...

Take 1 lead off, or 1 plug out? :S

From the coilpack there is a lead that goes all the way to sit on top of the spark plug. Unplug it from the spark plug end leaving the spark plug in the engine.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Alright, so i need to take the top part of the inlets off to get into the leads on the plugs?

Ive just read on the net that theres an Idle control valve which could be dirty? or it could be dirty injectors?

Really sick about this as the mrs needs the car for work and im meant to be going to a meet on sunday :S

Cheers mate

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'm 99% sure it's the coilpack pal.

Take the inlet plenum off (the bit with "RenaultSport" on it), this will reveal the top of the coils which plug onto the spark plugs. To remove them simply give them a firm pull. Then 1 at a time lie them on something metal and get someone to turn the key and watch for a spark jumping from the end of the coil (don't touch the bit of metal that the coil is lying on). 1 of them won't spark, or if it does it will be very weak.

And yes as far as I'm aware, the coilpack on both the 172 and 182 is the same.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
No problem. Don't be one of those people that doesn't come back in to post the solution. So annoying going through threads of problems with no definitive answer LOL.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ill be looking at it in about half an hour so ill post once ive looked :)

Yeah i hate threads like that too, no help what-so-ever haha

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok so, Yellow_Chris came to mine a while ago and tried his coilpack and leads on the car, when we were removing my coilpack, he noticed that it had 'exploded' and there was a lump of melted plastic stuck to the bottom where the pack had split.

The car still didnt start with his magnecor leads and his pack.

The Electic fault warning light is staying on... (squigily line under petrol light)

Pics of my coilpack...

cracked coilpack.jpg

coilpack...plastic.jpgcoilpack.jpgI know that ill need a new coilpack obviously but does anyone have any other ideas as to what the problem could be?
Could the damaged coilpack cause a problem with the ECU or anything?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Its as if theres been a surge of power sent through he coilpack and its blown the botton off it, almost. all 4 corners are cracked.

Ly Megane 230 F1
as i was saying it looks like its exploded the bits inside it pushing the bottom bit down and cracking the plastic..then some of the inside plastic melted and came out of the crack (hence the bit of melted plastic on the outside) if you get a replacement crack that one open :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to take the coilpack into renault in elgin tomorrow and see if they can give me any advice before i book it in for diagnostics!

Ly Megane 230 F1
just take the fuses out one by one and check them liam :) might take you a wee while but will be worth it if you find a blown one

SQ5
Have you checked the wires on the lambda sensor?

If its been shorting out the car won't start, and with it sitting on the exhaust there is a good chance two cables have melted and touching.

I'd look at that first

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've just got your PM mate so sorry for the slow replying. Not had chance to get on CS this week as I've had AIDS and been mega busy!

Really you are going to need diagnostics and if that coil has indeed blown and the vehicle will now no longer start then a fuse is sounding like the least of your problems. If that has backfed to the ECM it will have damaged the ignition drivers hence the no start. Honestly, you really should consider spending some cash on getting it properly looked at mate if only to save you spending a wedge on something that's not worth it. Initially it needs code reading and if all is clear the ignition drivers will need scoping to check for activity and you can form a plan from there.

Mick

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, Noticed today that the green 30 amp fuse was blown so i replaced that, and the electric fault light went off and the car started but only if i kept my foot on the throttle..

Got a new coilpack and the car starts and stays going itself but its only running on 3 cylinders, which my dad and i narrowed down to number 1.

Anyone got any ideas about this? would some injector cleaner be worth a shot?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
So after replacing the fuse and coilpack... my neighbour and his mate gave me a hand and they figured out that my ignition lead (1) is not working properly.

We swapped mine with one of the boys from his 182 and it runs sweet so ill be buying one first thing tomorrow morning!

Thanks for the replies and info.