ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 3 project

Street Triple R
Next thing to do, which had been on my list for a while was to replace the exhaust with an OEM one, it was just too noisy with the big exhaust on, the drone at 3/4k on a motorway for example just made it really unpleasant, and I didn't mind potentially losing a few hp if it meant a much nicer ride, plus I really dont like the drainpipe look, so a new exhaust was ordered from Mitz

IMG_1948_zps69ce8e86.jpg

And I borrowed some ramps so that we could get underneath and swap the exhausts over

IMG_1985_zps36a01ccc.jpg

IMG_1983_zpsbd8e2eef.jpg

IMG_1990_zps931829f4.jpg

IMG_1989_zpsfa616266.jpg

Old exhaust off

IMG_1992_zps8d7bc9e8.jpg

And sold!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
What a cool car! Brilliant work so far!

Will keep an eye on this, going to turn out great by the looks of it.

Street Triple R
Then on to fitting the new one, this included lots of new exhaust hangers and gaskets too as some of them had perished a bit

IMG_2006_zpsc40a116d.jpg

IMG_2004_zps5843cf90.jpg

And fitted :)

IMG_2061_zps4f45938d.jpg

Ive left the decat in for now, but for me this has massively improved the way the car drives, its so much more comfortable and the performance has surprisingly not changed all that much, if anything all its done is move the powerband very slightly down the rev range, I imagine if I had any other mods then the standard exhuast could prove restrictive but im not planning on modding at all apart from maybe a remap, so im quite happy with this :)

Street Triple R
Next thing on the list was the wheels, I already had a set of the original wheels that id bought not long after buying the car, so I took these ones off and sold them

IMG_2018_zps87c86b9f.jpg

This went some of the way for paying for the other set I had to be refurbed by Lepsoms in Kent, while I was at it I had them fit a set of brand new Goodyears :) so off they went....

IMG_1886_zps8f892e83.jpg

and came back fully refurbished with new tyres

IMG_1938_zps324e55f4.jpg

and new OZ wheel caps as well, surprised Mitz still stocked them but they have been very good for parts, cant complain at all

IMG_1348_zpsbf1d4d84.jpg

IMG_2066_zpsc9e53739.jpg

Street Triple R
And fitted :)

IMG_2062_zps1a012321.jpg

IMG_2014_zps3ee299a2.jpg

IMG_2015_zps64871687.jpg

I know the wheels look tiny, and for some reason my suspension, despite being standard, seems to be riding much higher than it should be, bit stumped about that one at the mo :S but there is a 16" version of this wheel available and I may look to get those at some point in the future but this will do for now...plus its very fast on the 15s :)

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that the wind deflectors have gone...wasnt really a fan of those

Street Triple R
So, there is still a fair bit to do to this car, mostly bodywork, cosmetic but the list is

Boot sill still needs repairing/welding
Need to refit roof rail trims on both sides
Air Con has stopped working, hopefully just needs regassing
left side skirt needs taking off and refitting as it seems to have dropped a bit
Various paintwork bits and pieces here and there
Door window frames need repainting as they have faded

Mechanically, the only thing at the moment is a very slight whining noise that increases with road speed, cant work out at the moment if it is transmission related or wheel bearing, haven't really had a chance to investigate yet

Its getting there though!

Thanks for looking :)

JDM Dc2
Ah i love this, an evo 3 is on my list of cars to own, I'd love a red one!

Awesome work and attention to detail, keep it up!

Street Triple R
Hi Guys

Little bit of an update :)

One of the things that was bugging me was the door frames, the paint had completely faded in some areas and it made it look really tatty

DSCF0478_zps28a9fb3c.jpg

So, we decided to paint them....not sure why it took us so long to get round to this but oh well :)

the frames were carefully masked up (this takes ages!)

IMG_2207_zps9d197440.jpg

Then sanded down to give the new paint a good key, and primered

IMG_2213_zpsaee7af9f.jpg

and painted black

IMG_2218_zpse26dbe30.jpg

This was done for both sides

IMG_2649_zps6fc3aa4d.jpg

Painted the other side in the garage....bad idea!...the fumes!! just lucky I was wearing a mask!

And a couple of afters

IMG_2221_zpse879a168.jpg

IMG_2219_zps778db06d.jpg

Luckily the primer overspray you can see on the last picture came off quite easily!

Street Triple R
Yesterday there was a meeting arranged by the MLR at Devils Dyke near Brighton, Never been there before but a really nice spot, good place for a date probably lol

Took a couple of pics before I left

IMG_2654_zpse042f489.jpg

IMG_2655_zpsadf896cb.jpg

When we got there we met up with a few other Evos

DSCF2124_zps1768047a.jpg

Including this lovely Makkinen edition

DSCF2152_zps53e3cda5.jpg

In the car park, parked up behind an Evo 2 RS, the dent in my rear passenger door still needs to be attended to

IMG_2666_zps46978f68.jpg

and met up with a few other early Evo owners, according to howmanyleft there are only 20 Early Evos on the road in the UK today (although there are somes sorned) so to get 4 out together in one go is pretty good going! :D

IMG_2673_zps451bb1d3.jpg

So there is mine, could well be one of the very few OEM Evos in existance! certainly Evo 1-3 anyway, also an Evo 3 RS, Evo 2 RS and another 3 GSR, The RSs are around 70 odd kilos lighter than the (already light!) GSR models, wighing in at around 1170kgs and are distinguishable by the black bonnet vents, door mirrors and door handles

IMG_2668_zps1ffaa8ba.jpg

So, we had a bit of a blast around the back roads, nice burger at the pub overlooking the sea and then another b-road blast on the way back :) car performed brilliantly all day...although the Recaros are a bit hard after a while and I must get the air con refilled! but apart from that it was great!

On the way home we also made a bit of a diversion to Bentley Motor museum to look at my Dads Sierra Cosworth, was great seeing it again :) all in all a pretty good day!

IMG_2688_zpsb53351ba.jpg

That's an awesome job you did! I agree with the wheels. They look so much better. I'm looking forward to seeing the interior being completed.

Street Triple R
Hi Guys

Well, not a huge update really as the the car has been sorned over the winter, just done a few little bits and pieces while its been off the road, Im going to look at getting the car booked into a bodyshop in the spring to have the scuff in the rear door fixed as well as a couple of other bits like fix the leaky boot sill

Firstly the Evo has a new stablemate!

DC1C0008-FCF9-4C3E-886F-26BC424552EC_zpsiv9o8gux.jpg

Its very interesting comparing the 2 cars, both absolutely fantastic to drive although completely different really!

Back to the Evo! when I bought the car, the air con control unit display had failed, still worked but you couldn't tell what it was doing.

DSCF0635_zpsfmthzbax.jpg

Lucky enough a guy living a few miles away from me had one from his old Evo 1, so that was bought

_75_zpsxzvu4t0a.jpg

and fitted, you also can see the awful jap stereo has gone

DSCF0636_zpsykg7lp9k.jpg

and been replaced with a more up to date, Pioneer USB ipod player, but not too flashy as it would stand out quite a bit in the dash otherwise, also got a little cubby hole underneath where i keep an old ipod to connect to the radio

IMG_3824_zpsf4sum7hz.jpg

IMG_3821_zpst5nffbbz.jpg

The speakers have all been replaced for new ones as well :)

Before the car was sorned, i had the air con regassed as i really needed it on that day out in the summer! the Evo interiors do get hot!

IMG_2695_zpsop2iwfap.jpg

Another job that needed doing was replacing the leaking decat pipe! as it could get pretty fumey sometimes, you can see from this picture how bad it was, looked like it had been chopped in half and badly welded back together

IMG_3751_zps9apxbmvb.jpg

Replaced with this one

35efbc13-5008-4e92-98ce-df0bede2ea96_zpsnnv9ldul.jpg

Much better! doesnt leak!

Another job that has been done is to replace the gear shift bushings from rubber ones to brass ones, The
problem with the rubber ones is that over time they perish, which makes the gearchange become slack and inprecise, on mine it wasnt too bad but you could tell it needed doing

The new bushings were ordered from the USA as the Early Evos share a lot of parts with the DSM cars in America

IMG_3675_zps2g4sjinn.jpg

and here you can see the new Brass bush along with one of the perished rubber ones

Fitting was a bit of a nightmare mainly because the access to the gear cables was pretty tight, having to remove all the turbo pipework etc as well, but here is a picture of one of them fitted

IMG_1245_zps7bkjep3e.jpg

It should hopefully tighten up the gearchange a bit, but i'll be able to report back once I retax the car in the spring

Apart from these things there hasn't been a huge amount going on

The engine bay has had a good old clean..

Before
DSCF0554_zpsjwtpidqa.jpg

after
IMG_3820_zpsfzgxvtbo.jpg

Including a new dip stick as the rubber had seemingly gone hard on the old one and didnt really fit well in the pipe any more, new one fitted perfectly

IMG_1236_zpse5uda94a.jpg

The next thing on my to do list is to get the steering wheel retrimmed, I saw this Evo 2 which had the Tommi Makkinen Interior fitted from the Evo 6 TME as well as the alcantara steering wheel

S6002512_zpsryifixxb.jpg

Also the M3 has an Alcantara wheel and I really like it

AE807C9F-5BA1-48D4-8B9C-C1CAB8C50A49_zpsyh7hxicp.jpg

So Ive bought a replacement Evo 3 Momo wheel (just in case I wanted to go back to standard leather) and this will soon be getting sent off for a retrim :)

IMG_3808_zpsorhhqnx8.jpg

IMG_3809_zpsviflxqnk.jpg

Also bought my first mod! (apart from the decat!) a HKS panel filter!

IMG_3817_zpscdfpghy0.jpg

Thats it for now but there will be a lot more when I get the car out in the spring :)

IMG_2547_zps1971a9a4.jpg

Also does anyone know how I can edit my post on the front page, to fix the photos? the option for me to edit seems to have gone?

Octavia VRS
Brilliant thread. I envy people who do these projects. I would love to do one but I don't have the time, money or skill!