ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mixing 195s & 205s

Clio 172 Cup
Advice needed...

Have a pair of r888 in soft compound in 195x50x15 - bought off eBay and in good nick.

Need another pair - cannot find/order in this size and compound due to lack of availability.

Found a set in 205x50x15....

So I thought about using the 195s at the rear and the new 205s upfront.

Is this a no-no, or would there be no negative effects on handling etc....??

For use on hillclimbs.

Cheers
Dan

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Are you in road going production class? Is it an MSA event? If so, afaik bluebook says R888s are 1b tyres and aren't legal unless there are supplementary regs saying otherwise for your event?

I doubt you'd see any negative effects on handling, just remember that the sidewalls will be bigger on 205/50 than they are on 195/50.

145db Euro'd clio
You wouldnt get any negative effects, it'd just be like running a very slightly staggered set of wheels. although i'd run the wider tyres at the back. the sidewall is smaller on the 195's so surely the handling will be slightly better on these as there is barely any difference in width

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for the replies.

I've been running list 1b at ASWMC events for a while in the series production class. I believe the MSA has now permitted 1a and 1b - so this brings the rest of the country in line with our championship:

Wheels and tyres
Deleted.

11.6.2.​
Except for Period Defined Vehicles (Non-Rally)

A-H inclusive tyres are to L List 1A and List 1B.

I thought of putting the new rubber at the front (205s). What's the reasoning behind sticking the wider tyre at the rear?

Cheers
Dan

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I thought of putting the new rubber at the front (205s). What's the reasoning behind sticking the wider tyre at the rear?

They're already biased towards oversteer so giving a more positive front end from wider tyres (relative to the rear) will exagerate it.

I ran 185s up front and 205s at the back on the road for a few weeks recently. Made quite a change not having to worry about the rear breaking free, and was fun just throwing it into bends knowing it'd stayed planted. The downside is a slight understeer bias, but with a little left foot/trail braking the front can be kept in check.