ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk 2 172 - brake warning lights coming on

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
My wife mentioned that this morning, the ABS, handbrake and "SERV" lights suddenly all came on together on her 172. She was on a dual carriageway and thought the braking performance was much reduced as she braked for a roundabout. In due course, when the engine was stopped and restarted, the lights extinguished and braking seemed fine. It actually did the same to me, driving about town this afternoon, though it was hard to say if braking performance was down - I was in traffic and had just reached where I was going.

Oddly enough she said all this was accompanied by a strong smell; and though I can't be sure (blocked up with a heavy cold), I thought I could smell something - not petrol, but perhaps a bit like hot oil (not like overheated brake pads or clutch).

Car's completely standard, but did have new discs and pads fitted by the dealer about a month ago. It'll certainly need to go into the dealer to get checked out, but I wondered if these symptons meant anything to anyone. Does look like it might be a sporadic problem; as it was fine after I had restarted it.