ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk 3 grille removal?

Clio 1.2 tce
has anyone taken off the top grilles on a mk3 and if so how is it done?
wana either get myself some 197 top grilles or paint the standard ones!
not sure yet but either way need to get them out!
cheers!

2007 MK3 Clio
You can either take the whole front bumper off or just loosen the top of the bumper!
The easier way is just to loosen the top BUT it's fiddly as F**K and can give you a few scrapes (on you, not the car)!
Lift up the bonnet, there will be bolts to hold in your lights (furthest back) and bolts + 2 black clips/plastics screws holding on the bumper!
Undo the bolts and the 2 black clips/plastics screws holding on the bumper on either side, pull on the bumper, you'll hear a "snap" kind of sound (nothing broke it's just the clips holding in the bumper), you have to reach down in behind the bumper, down under the grille, push up on the 3 clips along the bottom of the grille and push out at the same time (it is an absolute pain in the arse) then went putting them back in put the top of the grilles in first and just push! Then push the bumper back into the clips, refit the bolts and 2 clips/plastic screws!
The way I done this though to fit the RS grilles was: I got a medium sized flathead screwdriver, covered it with a cloth, went round the grille to loosen it out a bit and then basically just used brute force and yanked them out (didn't brake anything) but it's not really to everyone's taste!
If you get the clip out that's nearer the light the rest of the grille basically falls out (exaggerating a wee bit but you know what I mean)
Hope this helps & good luck :)!

Clio 1.2 tce
thanks a lot mate!!!
im servicing the clio later on today so il take the laptop down to the garage and try and follow that again with the car infront of me! have a vague idea what ya mean!
was sorta hoping i could just reach down inside the engine bay a pop a few clips out but obv that aint the case!!!! :(:(
also just noticed the ballymena bit on location there! iv maybe seen ya about then!
What clio is it?

2007 MK3 Clio
No bother man!
It's easier than it sounds trust me on that but it's just......while fiddly (cut the arms off me), they don't really wanna play ball but just lay down the law and you're sorted ;) haha!
Naw you NEED the bumper off or loose at the top!
You from town yourself? If so I could give you a hand!
Black MK3 dynamique s, canasta's, sx kit, tinted windows, sunstrip, rs grilles, just got it colour coded last week and coilovers in there at the weekend!
USED to have taz on the back window and a silver stripe along the bottom of the sunstrip!

Clio 1.2 tce
Hmmmm not sure if I have seen ya! There's a couple of black ones about there. Got a single exhaust pipe coming out the left hand side?
N nah more kells direction but not too far away!
Havnt had a chance to get it off yet mate. Was serving the car there then put in a full cold air induction kit! ;)

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
My made Clio made me bleed too its the black plastic beam were the lights are attached to its sharpe as f**k!

Clio 1.2 tce
ooo aye well between servicing and fitting the induction kit my hands r covered in little slices! stings like a b**ch! hahaha

2007 MK3 Clio
Naw i haven't touched the engine or exhaust........yet ;)!
Aye not too far away!
Good luck with the grilles =)!

Clio 1.2 tce
Hmmmm don't think iv seen ya about then!
I'm in a silver SX with twin exit exhaust on momo 10spokes!
Not yet lowered but I'm saving haha don't all my sounds and engine n stuff first so coils is the last major thing I needa do!
what coils you get?

2007 MK3 Clio
Aye the car was basically standard until last week there, it was off the road for 3 weeks getting a bita work done so it's only a bit "eye catching" now and the alloys have just been orderd there now ;)!
Don't think I've seen ye about =/!
AP's and they are GREAT, handling is supurb and so easy to lower/raise the car, really smooth ride aswell (which I was surprised with haha!)

2007 MK3 Clio
Was off the road from 2nd february until 19th february cause of no insurance so I got:
Colour coded (side strips, rear moulds, front lower grille & moulds coming out from number plate)
Full SX Kit, Top RS Grilles, Tinted Wind Deflectors, Tinted Side Indicators (to blend in with coded side strips)
Clarion speakers fitted in the front doors & the rear panels where there are no speakers standard :S
AND most importantly, AP Coily's :approve:!
AP's FTW mate, I was gonna just get 45mm lowering springs and save a bita money but I saved for the AP's & they are WELL worth the money!

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
A might be getting some coilies next week or in the next month so al have my 45mm springs for sale. 45mm is the lowest drop av seen for springs too.

2007 MK3 Clio
45mm is the lowest you can go before you have to get a shorter shock (i think)!
You're wiser getting coilys in the first place anyway =)!

Homo spec mazda

you need to post some pics of all the work you had done, sounds good, well maybe except the SX kit, ive never been a fan of that.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172

Av seen springs lower than 45mm tbh i dont think the shock will bottom out until about 60mm. A would propz just sell them for £60. Am going for the FK coilies on the spec they go lower than AP's and sofaboy had some trouble with his being raked. Plus av never seen anyone else with them. If your after a exhaust i got a ulter one for £160 build quality is top notch but am yet to put it on. What wheels your ordered?

Clio 1.2 tce
Was off the road from 2nd february until 19th february cause of no insurance so I got:
Colour coded (side strips, rear moulds, front lower grille & moulds coming out from number plate)
Full SX Kit, Top RS Grilles, Tinted Wind Deflectors, Tinted Side Indicators (to blend in with coded side strips)
Clarion speakers fitted in the front doors & the rear panels where there are no speakers standard :S
AND most importantly, AP Coily's :approve:!
AP's FTW mate, I was gonna just get 45mm lowering springs and save a bita money but I saved for the AP's & they are WELL worth the money!

Done a fair bitta work then mate! Haha how much is it to colour code?

2007 MK3 Clio
you need to post some pics of all the work you had done, sounds good, well maybe except the SX kit, ive never been a fan of that.

Cheers mate =)
Aye i'm waiting til I get the wheels on and give it a good polish, then i'll get it up!
Some people are a fan, some people aren't, personally i LOVE it but each to their own =)!

2007 MK3 Clio
Av seen springs lower than 45mm tbh i dont think the shock will bottom out until about 60mm. A would propz just sell them for £60. Am going for the FK coilies on the spec they go lower than AP's and sofaboy had some trouble with his being raked. Plus av never seen anyone else with them. If your after a exhaust i got a ulter one for £160 build quality is top notch but am yet to put it on. What wheels your ordered?

Well you learn something new everyday =)!
You wouldn't need much lower than the AP's, i had them down at 20mm thread left and the front spoiler was about 5 - 10 mm off the ground :) but i've got 16" canasta's on and the sx front spoiler so i suppose that'll make it look lower!
I'm not petrol though, i'm diesel so i don't think the exhaust would go with my car =/ but cheers for the offer!
16" deep dishes :p!

2007 MK3 Clio
Done a fair bitta work then mate! Haha how much is it to colour code?

Well the guy that done it for me his mate does all my tinting and i always send people to get their tinting done by him so i got it for a really good price and it's the exact same colour as the car =) he done it for £200!

Clio 1.2 tce
Yea I got quoted about that for colour coding mine!
Also after reading your comment then about how low the ap's go and seeing as I have the SX and so obv the SX kit on it I am looking forward to it sitting low! :D
My biggest fear was spending all that money and still not being low enuf!
How much did you get the coils for and where?

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
Also after reading your comment then about how low the ap's go and seeing as I have the SX and so obv the SX kit on it I am looking forward to it sitting low! :D

Cheating SX body kits whores ;) AP's have like a weird stance the front sits lower than the back so thats whats put me off, am just gonna wait and see how the FK's go.

Clio 1.2 tce
Well tbh I see that as a good thing! That's the way a car should sit! Reverse rake is a bad thing!

Clio 1.2 tce
Haha not that much now! Lol either perfectly level or the front ever so slightly lower but this is why they are adjustable to set things like this! :D

2007 MK3 Clio

Scared of it not sitting low enough? You can make the front sit on the ground :eek: haha!
I'll try get a picture up and let you see what I mean ;)!
Well my mate paid £650 for weitec gt's, I paid £560 for my AP's (that's delivered and all)!
Read reviews about AP's & Weitec's before I decided, there were people that had a set of both and said the Weitec's had nothing on the AP's!
And from personal experience, the AP's are WELL worth the money and more, I've got no body roll AT ALL when going around corners and you still get the ride comfort when the springs set in!
But as stuiemc said the front goes lower than the back but it looks really good IMO :)!

2007 MK3 Clio
Cheating SX body kits whores ;) AP's have like a weird stance the front sits lower than the back so thats whats put me off, am just gonna wait and see how the FK's go.

You know you want one now haha ;)!
Aye they do but I think it looks great :)!

Clio 1.2 tce
Scared of it not sitting low enough? You can make the front sit on the ground :eek: haha!
I'll try get a picture up and let you see what I mean ;)!
Well my mate paid £650 for weitec gt's, I paid £560 for my AP's (that's delivered and all)!
Read reviews about AP's & Weitec's before I decided, there were people that had a set of both and said the Weitec's had nothing on the AP's!
And from personal experience, the AP's are WELL worth the money and more, I've got no body roll AT ALL when going around corners and you still get the ride comfort when the springs set in!
But as stuiemc said the front goes lower than the back but it looks really good IMO :)!

well yea most coils will go lower at the front which tbh looks better than reverse rake IMO!
but good jesus its alot of money! haha but guess its just what il have to do!
aye please do get some pics up mate! or even pm me a link or somthing!

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
You paid 560? am sure Demon tweeks do them for 550 and they offer a 10% discount to this site!

2007 MK3 Clio
Got LOADS up on faccebook, wanna wait til I get the new alloys & cliosport.net decal (arrived today =D) on before I put pictures up on this =)!