ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk1 1.4rt

Beetle
Taken from original sales brochure:

1.4rt - 1390cc
Bhp - 80
0-62mph - 11.3
Max mph - 109
Mpg @ 56mph 58.8
Mpg @ 75mph 43.5
Urban cycle - 36.2
:)
Scott.

172 ph1
I just bought a 172 but still have my mk1 1.4RT.

When I bought it almost 4 years ago I'm sure parkers said it had 80bhp?

Anyway I've had it reading 115 on the speedo on a few occasions but that's its limit.

Good wee car hardly cost me anything to run apart from insurance :)

172 ph1
I bought mine in 02 and it was then for me.

Insurance is a bit steep as older cars generally are higher groups. Think 1.4rt is 5 or 6? But its not too bad as cars aren't worth that much anymore.

I loved mine. Gutsy little motor, decent handling and a huge boot for a small car.

However it is a Renault so can be unreliable and fall to bits. Mine is starting to rust around wheel arches and heater is very poor but apart from that fine. Engine seems to be bullit-proof or at least mine is.

My car is a 92 (K) for reference.

As for good first car? Yes but only if you get a good one.

looks like you would need, new bonnet, wings? tints, wheels and lowered.. i had one for my first car and loved it! think its 75bhp for some, and 80bhp for some others, not sure, as 5bhp doesnt make any difference..

was a nice car to drive, seats were so comfy, though not that supportive. lol.. watch out for leaking sunroofs, and rusty arches! and make sure the timing belt has been changed, as its quite pricey to do

Clio 197 F1
ahh cool, so basically, i think it would need valver wings, bonnet and bumper mayeb? is it differ from an rt one?

also wondering, how many gears does a 1.4rt have, a later one?

think all of them have 5 gears mate, and yeah the bumpers are slightly different, but you can pick these up cheap enough these days.. without the bonnet wings and bumper, they are still a decent looking car

Clio 197 F1
cool, so they have 5 years on the mk1, just proving my mate wrong who seems to say they have 4 haha... i wana blow him out

S2000
all the 1.4's have 5 gears. That car in the picture has an RT bumper on it, 16v bonnet and I can't tell if it's got RT or 16v wings on it from that picture - they look like standard RT wings.

I think the 75BHP is for the cars with power steering as the power steering uses about 5bhp so the ones without power steering have 80bhp. Almost all RT's, apart from some phase 1's, have power steering.

Ive got a phase 3 RT, its my 1st car.

Cracking car to start out with, looks decent, handles well, alot of kit (for its age) (electric everything), can keep up with more modern 1.2 16v's etc..

..Find a good'un and enjoy :)

Clio 197 F1
coool, all sounds good then, my m8 is gutted now haha! whats mods are best for them then? things that may cause problems?

Things to look out for - Timing belt should be changed before 70k to be safe, so ask if it has..
Leaking sunroof..
Rust around the arches..

Mods - upgrade to 16v/RSI/Willy parts - e.g. Spolier, skirts, alloys etc

Clio Trophy 463
Dono if anyone is interested (lol) but I found out the other day that all RT's made after 96' are 75BHP and all made before are 80BHP. Not sure why, maybe because it a renault??

Dan

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
something to do with the power sterring taking bhp or summink... sum1 said it above i think

Fiesta ST
I think the Ph3 have 75bhp but more torque. The head is different to improve MPG. Ph1+2 ( <96 ) have 80bhp. :) As far as I'm aware.

Clio 197 F1
yeah cool cool, so basically im after a pre 96, in black/dark blue, 3 door and low mileage... o and if higher mileage, with the timing belt allready done....

... i better get looking! hahaha

nearly forgot...without a leaking sunroof!..... and no rust......

... damn it

lol, this is a clio forum and hardly anyone knew that ph1/2 had 80bhp and the ph3's had 75. and who ever it was that the said RT's are unreliable was wrong. the energy lump is very reliable.

S2000
markknightpz said:
lol, this is a clio forum and hardly anyone knew that ph1/2 had 80bhp and the ph3's had 75. and who ever it was that the said RT's are unreliable was wrong. the energy lump is very reliable.

very true!! The energy lump seems near enough indestructable.

As has been said above look out for the rear arches rusting, check when the timing belt was done and also find out when, if at all the wheel bearings were done, as they often go around the 60 to 70k miles.

Clio 197 F1
cool, looking forward to gettin one now! how much do you 17year olds pay on a 1.4rt for insurance?

S2000
The best thing to do is just get some quotes on the internet, as there are so many factors that come into it. TBH as a 17 year old it will not be cheap on any car at all. Mine is under my mums name at the moment because as a 17 year old I was being quoted about £1800 which I simply could not afford, and given the choice of no car and going on my mums insurance I decided to put it under her name.

However, if you can afford it in your own name please do as it's not a good idea going under your parents name. I'm going to be changing to a 16v or CRX soon and I should be getting that under my own name because my insurance is so much less now having had my license 14 months.

For cheap insurance I would recommend Elephant.co.uk and bell.co.uk. They are basically the same company but I have found that bell.co.uk is generally cheaper.

Clio 197 F1
cool cool, i have spotted a 1.4 rt 1993 in my local magazine. in black, 3 dr and has done 103,000miles! eek. how many miles do these last for? is it gona blow up? lol

cheers

Clio 197 F1
hmm, its a bargain too lol, rang him up b4.... he thinks the timing belt has been done, says it runs sweet as a nut, little rust bubble on the rear arch but nuttin serious!.....gona see it soon i hope

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Scott-16v! said:
Taken from original sales brochure:

1.4rt - 1390cc
Bhp - 80
0-62mph - 11.3
Max mph - 109!!!!!!!!
Mpg @ 56mph 58.8
Mpg @ 75mph 43.5
Urban cycle - 36.2
:)