ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 1.8 RSI - what to look out for?

Clio Dynamique DCI (80)
Hi all,

Looking into possibly buying a 1.8 rsi to strip out and use as a budget track / weekend toy.

Would look at valvers but tbh with my budget (sub 1k) I think I will get a more sound RSI for the cash, most of the valvers around for this money all look rather knackered...

Just wondered if there are any weaknesses I should be looking out for when looking at them, when does the cambelt need doing, etc...

Thanks,
Lee.

2010 focus Rs
if your after a track car dont worry about the condition go for a valver! you can get a good one for around a grand, problems on my old rsi was gearbox, track rod ends + other little wear and tear things just like any normal clio,there great fun when lowerd around 60mm :evil:

Clio Rsi
sunroof leaking and obviously check the clutch unless your gonna replace it cos they can be a bit of a pig to change (from experience). Also check sump for signs of oil as the sump gasket went on mine, dropping all of the oil!

Monaco RS Clio 172
loved my rsi.. clutch cable snapped, and was a right bark to replace, apart from that, when I first got it (dirt cheap in reasonable condition with no mot or tax).. the mot failed first time round on a rear brake valve of some sort costing 250 quid just for the part! had to wait 2 weeks for it to be delivered to the garage too! no idea what it was.

it got me 6-8 months of happy motoring and they are very fun toys indeed. obviously the valver is quicker and better looking but who gives a stuff.. for a grand you'll prob get a nice one too :)

1.8 8v RSi
rsi engines are usually pretty indestructable as long as they been threated right. but still the bodywork is french so expect it to rattle.

check the air box pipe around the throttle body as people have a tendancy to tighten these too much and cause the pipe to split allowing crap to get sucked into the engine.

check the ignition leads to for and splits as they have a tendancy to split due to where they're placed to hold them still.

the rsi is only just slower than a valver if its running on full power. so with it stripped out it will run equal or faster. so make sure its been serviced regularly as the car sufferers from massive power loss if its not serviced regularly.

if the cars been used by someone who likes to thrash it around then check the track rod ends as they have a tendancys to go(owned mine 2 yrs and replace 3times)

also check brake pads and discs. if you only driven small engined cars you will notice the rsi bites hard when you press the brake pedal. if it doesnt make you jolt forward a lil when you press it then it needs new pads and discs.

hope this helps. just a few things i picked up along the way of my rsi ownership.
Si

Clio Dynamique DCI (80)
Cheers all,

Going to look at one tomorrow night and have also seen a valver thats cheap and looks alrite aswell so may go look at that thursday.