ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 172 too Mk2 172 - I Fancy a Change

Hello All,

I am thinking of selling/part exchanging my Mk1 172 for a Mk2 172. This is proberally likely to cost me a grand or so but is there a really advantage. Your thoughts, advice and experience would be appriciated.

Thanks for all replies in advance

Astra 1.9cdti XP

As a driving experience I prefer my MK1 but for comfort/refinement then it would have to be my MK2.

My personal opinion is that its simply not worth it!

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

nae too much difference bar a few toys ( i think) and better (imo) alloys

id save up for the 182 with cup packs

all i can see as an advantage is that you may have a year or so warranty on an RS2.

thinkin like that, is it worth spending probably 2k for a few years warranty?

Black 182 + Recaros

Although I suggested keeping your MK1, I swapped mine and the difference was very noticable.

I think the inside is much nicer. It looks nicer and is put together very well compared to the MK1. The handling is a lot better and perforance is also better. All round, there are a lot of small (but important) changes. Deffo worth it. Although I still prefer the external look of the MK1.

Go for it, if thats what you want.

[Edited by MattyMarsh on 03 February 2005 at 6:47pm]

Suzuki SV1000S

^^^ interesting

Think you should test drive both matey. I went from a Cup to a mk1 and have never looked back. No more rattles and the performance is about the same as the cup but with air con etc..

Quote: Originally posted by R20 CWH on 03 February 2005

nae too much difference bar a few toys ( i think) and better (imo) alloys

id save up for the 182 with cup packs
i would do the above

Black 182 + Recaros

George - I thought the 172 MK2 felt far more reponsive than the MK1. Whats the difference 0-60 time ?

Its a difficult one, lots of different opinions....good stuff! :D

I have seen a couple of nice Mk2s for around the 8k mark how much do you think I would get if I part-exchanged my Y-reg (2001) Mk1 172, 22k on the clock?

I have just been in my sisters other halfs 172 Mk2. He picked it up yesterday 02 plate, black, 7k on the clock for £10k! First time I had been in a Mk2 and it felt so much more solid, a lot less rattles than my Mk1 and the interior is stunning!

Definatly looking at getting a 172 Mk2/182 now :D

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

The Ph2 doesnt come in yellow....

But apart from that, its ok ;)

oh and its Mrk2 ph1 & ph2 (the Mrk1 is the old shape!)

Quote: Originally posted by Bubbles on 03 February 2005
oh and its Mrk2 ph1 & ph2 (the Mrk1 is the old shape!)

Dont be such a pedant! ;)

RS1 & RS2 like they say in Eurozone.

Suzuki SV1000S

Am shocked at the reaction I seen on this post guys, But each to there own I guess. firstly I was forced to get rid of the Cup as I wrote it off. Would like to pint out it was after we beat Australia in the final. No hadnt been drinking just F**cking happy. oops.

The insurance paid out an extra 1500 on the price I paid for the car I bought for 12k.

Also dont forget the mnk1 172 was a 16500 car when new and so IMO the quality is soooo much better. I have zero rattles and the cornering just after and spring change is sooo much better. Back used to come out well easy on the cup were as my mk1 172 just grip s the tracl like a beast, even with sh*t tyres I may add.

Am so happy with the mk1 although it is different to the cup in many ways, and in my opinion better ways as standard, but I have forgotten the standard diference is mine is far from standard now, but each to there own matey.

In my true opinion it really depends what you want.

If you wantr a more luxurious car as it sounds like you do then maybe you should look at a lexus Altezza for about 10k, Or maybe a Audi A3 1.8T.

BUT I would not go from a mk1 172 to a mk2 172 as in about a week you will be well disappointed.

I dont know maybe I was really lucky in finding a fast mk1 but I am sooo much happier with my mk1 172 than I was with my Cup.

And at least with my current car the women say hpw nice it is! were as with the cup (which lets be honest looks like any other mk2 172) the girls just said it was a nice coloured clio, LOL

Lionel Richie

my ULTIMATE clio would be a mk1 172 fully stripped out, caged, 1 bucket seat, slammed on coilovers, with the "fred special" megane RS engine

mk1s kick ass, mk2s are too "limp wristed" (unless modified)

[Edited by Fred2001Dynamic on 04 February 2005 at 6:19am]

in yellow too

Having been to see a Ph1 172 recently, I was taken aback at the interior - particularly the dash.

My other half and my mum both have MK2 Ph2 non-Renaultsport Clios and their interiors are way nicer (aside from the leather of course).

I personally wouldnt change from a Ph1 172 to a Ph2 172, unless there was a reason like it was a much newer or less mileaged car. I could see why the change itself would hold appeal were it a change to a Cup, or from a 16V to a Williams - but not from a Ph1 to Ph2 172 (or 182) in substance alone.

I suspect that the Ph1 172 was a "more expensive" car in price tag alone. Car prices went through a period of adjustment in the early 2000s to match with other EU countries prices. Does anyone else remember how popular importing once was? I dont think the Ph2 is cheaper because of economies in quality.

Suzuki SV1000S

I do agree that the dash is pretty lame on the mk1. But the seats, performance and the aggressive front bumper make up for it

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 04 February 2005

my ULTIMATE clio would be a mk1 172 fully stripped out, caged, 1 bucket seat, slammed on coilovers, with the "fred special" megane RS engine

mk1s kick ass, mk2s are too "limp wristed" (unless modified)

[Edited by Fred2001Dynamic on 04 February 2005 at 6:19am]

in yellow too
Was that a good comment about yellow? or a bad one? ;)

Golf R32 & 172 CUP

drove both - bought the mk2 - better ride a hell of a lot better interior, better looking imho. as for that blue dash :( such a shame though i have seen ahandfull that have had black dashes they look far better, however i do like the front bumper on the mk1.

had a nice play with a local 172 mk1 and the difference if there really is one was not apparent, in fact i would have swayed in mine had the edge!!

Everyone going to have different views, thats why you should go with how you feel. but there really is no noticeable difference if any in performance or handeling.

good luck which ever you decide to do

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Yes.. Kinda (legal before the law came in! all tints on the front windows are now illegal)

i have light smoke on the front and slightly darker on the back. The lighting makes them look dark there but there not too bad.

Sinclair C5

it maybe just a coincidence but it seems everybody suggests the clio that they own, very childish in my opinion.

phase 2 mate, because they are better. :D

get a cup and make it yours - "personalisation package"

my personalisation package with lots of Japanese influence - minimalist.

:-D

/y0z

Ph1

Stick with the mk1.

loads more rarer than the mk2s plus the originals are always the best !!

Bet the RS boys have had a similar debates about series 1 and 2 RS Turbos !! LOL

ANDYMAN- yeah we do but i think the S2 is best lol

p.s i have never driven a ph1 172 but i do think the interior is better in the ph2 but other than that an the rear of the ph2 is better. i dont realy know alot bout the ph1!!

i would say get a ph2 but both are very nice cars