ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Justs died while driving

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
Driving along at around 30mph and our car has just completely died and wont start back up. It went completely silently (no knocks or bangs etc) and will try and turn over but wont start. We had the AA out and they seem to think the timing chain has gone. I'm pretty sure it's a belt not a chain though and if the cambelt had gone it should of at least made a noise or something when it snapped?

If anyone has any advice that'd be great.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
If the Cambelt has gone, it'll crank over a little quicker and "smoother" than normal.

Not sure if it's an interference engine either.

Mk1 Clio + Mk5 Jetta
I'm not too sure if its an interference engine tbh. I'll try and crank it again and see if it seems quicker and smoother :)

Edit - Just tried it and it is alot smoother and quicker. Looks like it is the belt then. Hopefully it hasn't done too much damage.