ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 or Mk2 172!

2003 1.2 16v Dynamique

Right Im gonna take the plunge and get myself a 172, I had my heart set on a Mk2, but then I watched a video of a black Mk1 (in the for sale section) and I think that has just changed my mind.

What does everybody reckon? Which would you say was the better car and why?

Cheers guys

Biased opinion, however....

The Mk1 172 was only made at the end of production of the older style clio, therefore there arent too many about.

The Mk2 172 was made throughout the production of the newer style clio, therefore there are more of them about.

Performance will be more or less the same whichever you go for... people will say that one is faster, however in reality they are all the same.

I could afford either, however i opted for a late Mk1 172... http://www.fubarnet.com/gallery1.htmlPICS

/Dan.

The Mk1 has a more raw feel to it imo. If you are looking at the mk2 then you really should be looking at the cup version.

I am considering a 172 Cup soon however it wont be a blue one!

Quote: Originally posted by scoobytyper26 on 25 July 2005

what would a 52 plate 172 be mk1 or mk2 ?

does the 172 mk1 and mk2 have different interiors?
52 plate would be a Mk2...

the interiors arent the same. the front seats on the Mk1 have a coloured RenaultSport logo... the Mk2s have a silver logo and a sort of honeycombe pattern in the alcantera.

The Mk2s have the later style dash.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Driving wise I didnt find much of a difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 172s (but found the 182 quite different).

Looks wise its personal taste really. I like bits of both but prefer the Mk2 overall, mainly down to the interior, rear bumper & lights clusters.

A Mk1.5 seems a popular choice on here, getting the MK1 front end, but with all the mk2 bits elsewhere :D.

VaVa

Depends what you look for in a car. The people telling you to get a Cup probably do track days - and if you going to track it the Cup is definitely the best choice. If its a daily driver, I would pick a mk2 172. Looks better, better interior, xenons, better suspension (imho) amd in reality theres little to choose betwen them on the road.

They dont cost a great deal more than a mk1 172, and unlike the mk1 172 there are plenty of nearly new, low mileage examples still with some warranty going for absolutely no money.

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 25 July 2005 at 12:07pm]

If you can afford it, get a Cup - if not get a Mk2 Ph1 (wink to TheJesus), thats what I did. Either way, you wont be disappointed. The term "baws hair" comes to mind.

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 25 July 2005

If you can afford it, get a Cup - if not get a Mk2 Ph1 (wink to TheJesus), thats what I did. Either way, you wont be disappointed. The term "baws hair" comes to mind.
:D ^^^ this man knows! now just to re-educate the rest of you fools ;)

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 25 July 2005

The front bumper on the mk1 sends me running to the mk2.

My only criticism.
Glad its not just me. Dont like the lights on the mk1 172 either. So round and cutesy. lol. looks like a bubble car.

Suzuki SV1000S

I went from a 172 Cup to a phase 1 172 and the drive is soooo much better - Also you dont get al the bloody rattles that you get with the phase 2 172s.

IMO the phase 2 172s feel alot more sluggish in a straight line and round corners.

For fun factor I would go for phase 1 for newness go for phase 2 cup.

MK1 and change bits you dont like... bump strips rear clusters etc.. Better car all day long!!!

My oppinion before all you MK 2 peeps jump in.. Course mine is faster!

172 ph1

One thing that has not been mentioned is the gearing.

In a mk 1 cruising at 90 on the motorway you are doing around 4k rpm, in a mk 2 its more like 4.4k rpm. so may be slightly noisier.

I wonder if the mk1 has better fuel economy:p

BMW E46 330i Touring

Im a Phase 1 fan all the way, although I would prefer to stay away from the silver that 9 out of every 10 Phase 1 172s seems to have been made in.

I actually like the cute look that the front displays, with the rounded lights and smooth bumper, although Im not a huge fan of the side-on stance it has and the 15s.

Overall, Phase 1 for me... Ill be getting one, soon!

Mini Cooper S sport

LOL at the can of worms! (phunkeh sneaked in between)

Again, its all down to personal taste. I prefer the phase 2 look because Im not as keen on the phase 1 lights and bumpers, although they look much better in the metal than they do in pictures.

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 25 July 2005

LOL at the can of worms! (phunkeh sneaked in between)
Again, its all down to personal taste. I prefer the phase 2 look because Im not as keen on the phase 1 lights and bumpers, although they look much better in the metal than they do in pictures.
So when do you want to swap Ali?

EVO VII

ive driven a 182 cup a mk 2 172 and i own a mk 1 172

i prefer the handling on my mk 1, i also think the mk 1 is slighter faster aswell

i did a 14.8 down the 1/4 mile the 182 cup only pulled 15.5 i was driving both :)

you can pick them up dirt cheep now aswell

LY182/NHB CTR

I would say you have your own mind so use it...

test drive them both have a good look at them both and see which one suits you after all its you that will be driving and owning the car so therefore its you that has to be happy with the decision you make...

Golf R/Leon FR

Mk1 all the way they looks better especailly the front

they arent as common as the Mk2s. and theyre faster!!!!

i chose a mk1. better looking, slightly nippier (for sum reason) very rare compared to a mk2 and 15s instead of 16s for better handling. in my opinion of course