ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 or Mk2 Cup

Im currently selling my 2003 Subaru WRX and I am going to buy a sensible diesel family car and a 172 clio. My question is what is the best buy, a mark one or the later model cup version, my budget will be between £4K and £6K. I prefer the look of the Mk1 it seems to stand out better but I would like a second opinion.

Golf R/Leon FR
definatley go for the mk1 like me by far better looking not as many about as cup's or mk2 172's. plus you get the leather seats, air con etc.

Remapped derv Golf
You'd been very very pushed to get a decent (non cat D) Cup for under £6k.

I'd choose the mk1 172 because £6k would be a decent one and a £6k Cup wouldn't be a great one.

Althought they are getting cheap! Maybe if you wait a couple of days
lol!

Last edited:
phoenixy said:
definatley go for the mk1 like me by far better looking not as many about as cup's or mk2 172's. plus you get the leather seats, air con etc.

So much better looking that a fare few owners on here try and make them look like mark 2 172's. It's a complete no brainer it has to be the Cup over a 172 mark 1 everytime. The mark 1 doesn't handle anywhere near as well, has a horrible looking dash, not very nice 15" wheels and doesn't look as good.

Neil82cup said:
So much better looking that a fare few owners on here try and make them look like mark 2 172's. It's a complete no brainer it has to be the Cup over a 172 mark 1 everytime. The mark 1 doesn't handle anywhere near as well, has a horrible looking dash, not very nice 15" wheels and doesn't look as good.

I don't want to start a war here but I think that a Mk2 looks too similar to say a 16V Dynamique. I'm not too hung up about looks as I might eventually use it on track days so handling and performance are more important to me. So does a Mk2 handle better than a Mk1 ?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
clan2_uk said:
I don't want to start a war here but I think that a Mk2 looks too similar to say a 16V Dynamique. I'm not too hung up about looks as I might eventually use it on track days so handling and performance are more important to me. So does a Mk2 handle better than a Mk1 ?

.... but look at the back of a mk1 and it even has the same bumper as a standard model.....

hhhmmmmmm

EVO VII
phase 1 does it for me ive driven all the clio rs 182 / 182 cup phase 2 172 e.t.c, the phase 1 is just more fun.

plus is only a bit heavier then a cup unlike the fat phase 2 lol ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=293
some of both on here. Ive had 2 mk1 172's a mk2 172 and now got a trophy.

Best looking by miles is the original and best mk1! in silver imho - most common colour but by god they look the bollox!! yeah the dash is dated but so what!? the mk2 is hardly ergonomic excellence. and the mk1 seems to rattle less and is quicker to 60

Cups are not my cuppa.

VaVa
The mk1 is the original. But definitely not the best. I've driven all variants except the Trophy, and the mk1 was the worst in terms of handling... imho.

People rave about the looks, but I think they look all cutesy and bubbly. lol.

I prefer the looks of the Phase 2 over the Phase 1, the front end just looks more business like and meaner.

But at the end of the day its your car and its up to you which one you buy, if you prefer the looks of the phase 1 and only want to spend 5-6k then its a no brainer.

As someone already said your not going to get a 172 Cup for 5-6k, Ain't gonna happen unless you get a cat D or one thats been thrashed to within an inch of its life and is boll*xed!

Liquid yellow R26 F1
cliostatic3.jpg

cliowales2copy.jpg

A 172 Cup every time for me..:)

Clang-N-Ball.jpg

My previous beast.. (on the left) It's a bit white from salt after gritting.. as we did a breakfast run in the snow..:)

Last edited:
  EVO VII
Phase 1 or phase 2 there both great cars :) lets just hope the mk3 is as good. :D

Attachments

• clio snet.JPG
    clio snet.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 35
  • clio snet1.JPG
    clio snet1.JPG
    405.2 KB · Views: 37
  • clio snet2.JPG
    clio snet2.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 33
  Ziel Nurburgring
Tough Call, i've driven all of them except the trophy and id have to say the PH2 is just that bit better (granted it wasnt a long term test).

Looks wise, the PH1 interior is awful (no offence guys and gals), its so dated. A PH1 with the ally bonnet, fitted with a PH2 interior, rear lights and Bumper and cup Turini's would look the nuts.

As someone already said your not going to get a 172 Cup for 5-6k, Ain't gonna happen unless you get a cat D or one thats been thrashed to within an inch of its life and is boll*xed![/QUOTE]

Just thought that I would point this out http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ww...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Two seperate cups for £6495 looks like my £6K budget will stretch to a cup if required, £495 is not much to negotiate off of the screen price as I wont be trading in etc.

There a few Cups for sale at £5~5.5k on autotrader but theres limited choice
How about a full fat 172 that j3ned selling its a cat C repair but £5k for a Mk2 fll fat with Cup wheels and spoiler its cheap.
I'd personally got for a £4k Mk1

clan2_uk said:
As someone already said your not going to get a 172 Cup for 5-6k, Ain't gonna happen unless you get a cat D or one thats been thrashed to within an inch of its life and is boll*xed!

Just thought that I would point this out http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=cup&keywords=&min_pr=75&max_pr=7000&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=g82+1bj&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Two seperate cups for £6495 looks like my £6K budget will stretch to a cup if required, £495 is not much to negotiate off of the screen price as I wont be trading in etc.[/QUOTE]

If you think you can swing it, doesn't mean the car isn't thrashed and f*cked though and with you saying 5-6k I thought you may be looking somewhere in between.

Your choice, your car, I personaly wouldn't take a chance on a Cup that cheap but tis up to you.

Mondeo STTDCI
TBH as its a second car I'd be getting a Mint Mk1. Colour coded. Rear bumper off a MkII and sort the suspension and enjoy the toys.

Cups too risky for me. Wonder how many we'll lose this year?

Remapped derv Golf
There ain't many Cup's for under £6.5k. Even if there is a few it might be a 300 mile trip for him to go get one!

Last edited:
Adamf said:
There ain't many Cup's for under £6.5k. Even if there is a few it might be a 300 mile trip for him to go get one!

There doesn't seem to be much available in Scotland so I know that I will need to travel for the right car as any car enthusiast would.

E91 M Sport
After owning a ph1 V6 with a mk1 interior, I'd never go back to it. I know the cup hasn't got many toys, but the quality of the material is much improved and has a nicer ambiance.

The Cup is stiffer suspension setup (out of the box), so it would be more suited to your trackdays, etc. What's the point of having the diesel runaround if your Clio has more toys?

Octavia VRS
I wouldn't say the cup interior is any better built than a mk1 172. Yes the two interiors are different (and perhaps the cup's looks a little bit more modern) but I like the mk1 interior as well.
Saying that, these cars aren't about the interiors! It's a tough call but I'd choose a Cup if I had the choice

miketheman2k said:
What's the point of having the diesel runaround if your Clio has more toys?

The diesel runaround (probably a leon cupra tdi) is for our main family car, I want the clio to use for work and weekend fun. At the moment the subaru is our main family car and my wife has a corsa sxi to run about it, but the 23 mpg from the scoob is killing me.

172, Tiguan
I'd get the Cup over the Mk1 having driven both. I'd just say get the best one you can afford making sure its been looked after.