ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk1 Torsion bar question

Clio 172
Hi I'm looking into building a clio race car to compete in the 2011 season of time attack here in ireland, and trying to decide whether to build it on a mk1 1.8 16v or mk2 172 chassis.

I would like to use a mk1 as i've been offered a clean 91 reg one for €300 (about £250), but the only thing that's really holding me back from going ahead with it is the torsion bar rear suspension.

A friend of mine had a vts time attack car, and spent obscene amounts messing around with different sized torsion bars and front spring rates to get the handling right, and in the end sold up to buy a vtec civic.

But i've noticed that the availability of thicker clio torsion bars is almost non-existant? And I'd imagine the standard fitment one won't be stiff enough for a race car?

For those of you with mk1 clio race cars, how do you work around this? Or will I just give up now and start searching for a mk2 172?

Black Clio GT
most of the mk1 track cars handle fine on standard tortion bars just lowered abit with uprated dampers/bushes/strut braces......

Clio 172
most of the mk1 track cars handle fine on standard tortion bars just lowered abit with uprated dampers/bushes/strut braces......
i can't imagine standard torsion bars on a road car being stiff enough for competetive racing though?

is it possible to get uprated torsion bars? what suspension to mk1 cup cars run?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i can't imagine standard torsion bars on a road car being stiff enough for competetive racing though?

is it possible to get uprated torsion bars? what suspension to mk1 cup cars run?

i'm pretty sure (i own one but ive never looked into it :eek:) that the cup cars run standard williams torsion/anti roll bars

i do know that they all used decarbon dampers, pretty stiff setup aswell

best bet is to ask on williamsclio, thats where most of the mk1 cup cars reside