ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK1 V6 for 11.5k

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Got the opportunity to get a MK1 V6 (51 plate) with 18k miles on the clock for £11.5k!

Now I dont particularly want to get into finance again on a car but this price is particularly tempting given the low milage.

Is this a good deal for a MK1...is it worth it? I am really tempted :confused:

Please try and talk me out of it!

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

Sounds like a good deal to me, if you can live with the 2 seats and sub-standard handling, that is ;)

E91 M Sport

Get it. Youll have a higher power/weight ratio than those lardy R32s ;)

Just make sure its not that price because of any accidents, dodgy history, etc. Like the others say, if it doesnt float your boat, you can sell it for more.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Insruance is putting me off a little! Mate works for Renault so I can get it at trade value....they are reluctant to take one in part ex and they have a agreed a low trade in price with the seller so I can have it at that. Depends on condition though!

172, Tiguan

Same situation as I was in 16 months ago. Had the chance of a 52 plate for 12.5.

Go for it!

3.0ltr V6

Hey geordie sounds good to me. Im selling mine at the moment and its a 52 plate with 19k miles for 14K but in MINT condition. If you can get one for 11.5K then I would get it. Depends on the condition though and how well its been looked after? Has a boy racer had it and driven it like mad? The insurance is a group 20 so be prepared.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 23 February 2005

where is it and if you dont want it will he do someone else a favour????

YES! Ive told him I could find a buyer if I dont want it!

If in good condition and looked after most definately worth it.. Test drive it as think that will make your mind up

Clio v6

The obvious things to look for as Im sure you know, are tyres, pads and does the front need a quart of paint.

All these wee things need to be added to the price.

sod that sub-standard handling.

people with small balls think they dont handle.

my pal in leeds has a pulsar GTiR and we were racing round on sunday through the yorkshire lanes, ( but we were not road racing and did not go over any speed limits ) he could not get me off his tail, except for a couple of low visibility bends cos he knew the roads well.

they handle very well, just gotta put some faith into the car as it can feel like its gonna go

[Edited by iwantaV6 on 23 February 2005 at 6:01pm]

v6 mk2

i agree, defo people with small balls and journalists who think they cant handle well, they are a bit floaty but once you get used to the car you can push them more and more!!!

they just twitch a bit when the rear tyres are shot (which happens alot!):D

i would bite their hand off at that price!!!!

Clio v6

Quote: they just twitch a bit when the rear tyres are shot

Yes. I have said this many times. I tried everything I knew to get the bugger to slip away. Balding tyres did the trick.

Quote: Originally posted by cliov6-230 on 23 February 2005

i would bite their hand off at that price!!!!

yep me too :D

Its only peeps who have NOT driven a Vee who say "will I wont I".......................once driven never forgoten and ALWAYS wanted................as Mike says get a test drive BUT take your cheque book :D

Cya (in yer Vee) Stu

if he doest buy it for that money, someone else will and youll probably not get another chance.

i know someone thatll buy it today!

Id buy it no problem I wouldnt pay that sort of money for a 182 but a V6 even if its a few yrs old is well worth it.

Jas

ClioSport Admin
  Maserati Ghibli S

haha, good to see all the mk1 v6 owners come out the woodwork ;)

If it wasnt for the littleun id consider it goerdiepaul. go for it.!

Mark 1 Clio V6

The V6 mk1 is far better than the writers and so called "experts" (who have driven it for a few hours) would like to lead you to believe.

It handles well (even when compared to a mk2 - we have seen as people start to feel more comfortable and push their mk2s more that it will bite your hand off in the wrong hands), looks great (better than the mk2 IMO) and isnt a slouch (0-62 in 6.5s).

If you can handle all of the attention which really got to me and was the main reason I couldnt keep my V any longer (coupled with a slight practicality issue), then £11.5k is an absolute snip (I sold mine for quite a bit more than that and still thought the new owner got an absolute bargain)!

Also insurance might be an issue. I am getting a Megane 225 (group 17) and will be saving £200 a year on insurance alone!

Its your call in the end. It will be a fantastic car to own................................ for a while.................................................

Get the V6! I got one recently (thanks again craig & stu & stus dad) & it was the best purchase ive made. My missus has a cup, which i thought was the dogs, then i got the chance to get a bargin V6 & nothing can prepare you for the noise, drama & reactions you get from everyone. Plenty of power & on the right roads, in the right conditions, handles really well, with loads of feedback.

YOU WONT REGRET IT!!

as said elsewhere, if you can live with the impractical side, & its in good nick buy it.

Good luck & dont hesitate, just get it!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I am just waiting to see the car and get a drive in it. TBH handling doesnt even bother me nor does outright pace....I want something that stands out and rear wheel drive and I think the vee hits the nail on the head!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Just been to see and drive the v6!

Exterior is in excellent condition only a few stone chips on the front bumber and some fairly major scratches where the bumber has hit a kerb when being parked but you have to look underneath to see these!

As for the interior well the same problem that hit all MK1s are evident...paint coming off the door grab handles and on the centre console with the v6 plaque....the steering wheel was in the worst condition have have seen but then I blame Renault for that!!! Most of these can be tidied up with some new parts but there was a slight tear on the drivers seat...it could be repaired but it was unsightly. At the end of the day I could take all these parts off my car and put them on the v6

As for the drive....drives very well....gearbox is a bit clunky and the brakes to a while to warm up. Not any quicker than my 172 off the line to about 50/60 but after that the v6 wins by a bit. So nice to drive a rear drive car with bags of traction off the line. Was out for about an hour and I was trying my damndest to get the back to come out. It did once or twice twards the end of the drive and my mates face was a picture (I had it all under control ;)) Once thing i found was more understeer than I expected and it always lead to oversteer which took some getting used too as you never felt totally in control. 20mpg wasnt all the impressive either!

Pretty much everyone looked as I drove by!! :devilish:

Off to sort some figures now :D abnd cry at the insurance quotes :cry:

go get it mate, it sounds like your impressed already.

mine has none of the wear you mention inside, so perhaps a one off?

the gearbox clunkiness is the notchy sound as you change gear, its a really tight gearbox, no slack at all on the gear lever - i like that.

also my brakes work straight away, theyd throw me throw the windscreen if i didnt have my belt on, so perhaps sh*te pads or something?

either way, sounds like a bargain.

GW Clio 200

** dons flame suit ** i wouldnt buy it. the mk2 is a load better and a 2nd hand one can be had for a smidgeon more money??? i think the mk2 looks loads better as well. but then again i wouldnt have neither, was gonna buy a brand new mk2 but just dont think they are worth the money. no disrespect to v owners but they just arent fast enough for what they cost. looks, yes, unbeatable and sounds lovely but i think for a 3litre engine in such a little car, they underperform massively. JUST MY OPINION THOUGH

** looks for fire extinguisher **

GW Clio 200

Quote: Originally posted by jon_r on 23 February 2005

Same situation as I was in 16 months ago. Had the chance of a 52 plate for 12.5.

Go for it!
a 52 plate would be a mk 2 or not? 1k a smidgeon?? not even 10%??? i would think so. u can buy em brand new for 20k.

GW Clio 200

my local renault (middlesbrough) offered me one brand new for 21k. if theres isnt a car supermarket/another dealer than can knock a grand off that i will be very surprised. if i am wrong, YOU CAN GET EM NEW FOR 21K. are you sure a 52 would be a mk1?????