ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mk2 golf gti 16v vs clio v6

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
my mate has a gti 16v with breathing mods, came up against a clio v6 255 the other night onto d/c he was in front v6 behind in 2nd nailed it v6 right on bumper up to silly speeds reckons he pulled slightly on v6 and that he wasnt getting past. does this sound right??? it was defo a v6 btw not some kitted up 172

yeecup said:
my mate has a gti 16v with breathing mods, came up against a clio v6 255 the other night onto d/c he was in front v6 behind in 2nd nailed it v6 right on bumper up to silly speeds reckons he pulled slightly on v6 and that he wasnt getting past. does this sound right??? it was defo a v6 btw not some kitted up 172

no hope ........v6 should av peed him:eek:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
but once up to 60+ due to power weight cant be much in it.

Let me get this right the Golf was in front? If so then surly the V6 could have been quick and the Golf didn't pull ahead bit the V6 just dropped back at high speed for there own safety.

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
pmsl
those golfs are really nice but my cup eats them for breakfast so a vee would have them as a snack between lunch and supper!!!
isnt there a 1.2 v6 look-a-like somewhere? lol

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
LOL ... V6 was behind and was just doing enough to keep on the Golf's bumper. No need for heroics especially with the roads being slippy this time of year.

Nissan 350Z
On paper, theres no way a standard GTI 16v will keep pace with a V6. The 16v are 139 bhp when in good condition, and many that are still standard are probably slightly down on that. 0-60 of one of those is about 7.6 on a good day, and will hit the ton in about 23 seconds.

Of course if it were wet and slippery, then I can possibly see why, as the Golf is a good handling car (i had one, they are excellent), however in a straight line, no way.

Monaro VXR
doesnt the 16v have a 0-60 of around 8-9 seconds?

If it was a real V6 it wasnt trying. If it was a 172 with a V6 bodykit it wasnt trying.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I Had Golf mk2 gti, (very very good cars) but not for one second would i say that i could hold off a v6, not unless i fancied some serious verbal abuse!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
We've got a mk2 gti 8v and it's a quick car, offen i think it's quicker in 3rd than mine.

But the vee would HUMP it.

Ziel Nurburgring
I put it to you Sir, that your friend is a liar, a cad and a bounder. lol

Is this one of those stories from junior school that ends 'and then i woke up'?

al

ST on the way...
Martin. said:
yeah those golfs are like rockets lol

Like the one off button moon?

button_moon3.jpg

megane coupe F7R
TheJesus said:
a golf GTI 16v is slower than a valver...

So true mate and a valver wouldnt keep up with a v6. Load of rubbish imo, you sure the v6 driver wasnt on his mobile or something just chillin out lol

MKV Golf GTi (240bhp)
I had a mk2 git 16v and have just got a 172 mk2 - the 172 s***s all over the gti, specially round corners, my golf was also shocking when wet, would slide all over the place

172 vs mk2 gti - 172 by a mile

172 is faster because it's newer and has aircon though, so that's a completely unfair test. retro fit aircon to the golf and see the difference

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
TheJesus said:
172 is faster because it's newer and has aircon though, so that's a completely unfair test. retro fit aircon to the golf and see the difference

If you painted the wheels gold, it would add 10% bhp across the rev range! ;)

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
davo172cup said:
thejesus im confused, or just mite be me being thick, but how does aircon effect how fast a car is?

The jesus is a very angry little man who loves mk1's. he is extracting the urine.

had to change my approach Rob, there was fear of braincells being developed and my profile De Vinci code being cracked, which may have caused offense to the said person... since then I have taken a sensitivity workshop ;)

Dave, in the world of tuning aircon is commonly thought to be a hindrance to performance, however this is not actually the case. based on extensive studies car manufacturers have found that running aircon can lead to improved performance, efficiency and reliability, as the aircon unit is actually used in conjunction with open filters to cool air commonly associated with heat soak. this leads to increased AFR efficiency, but the earths magnetic field can sometimes cause an adverse affect...

:rasp:

Dan, I'm not angry at all... far from it, I just like to rock the boat and keep you girls on your toes

al

ST on the way...
davo172cup said:
thejesus im confused, or just mite be me being thick, but how does aircon effect how fast a car is?

Because the aircon pump is driven by the aux belt, which if the aircon is on will be putting more strain on the aux belt (or somet like that! ;)), this is why your MPG goes down a bit with aircon on.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I didn't mean angry in that sense mate, i meant it ih the sense of Short man syndrome....;)