ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 ph1 Headlight Problems.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I converted my headlights from the standard ph1 lights to the Dual Optics a few months ago. I only changed the wiring, no fuses where added etc. and everything has worked fine ever since.

I'm no good with technical terms, however, this week the second setting (i.e. the one you use in the dark) doesn't change anything from the first setting. So, my only options are sidelights (first setting) or full beam. The fog lights still work.

I've checked the wiring and it seems ok and also used a fuse tester / voltage reader thing to check every fuse inside the car. It didn't light up for any of them so I assume that means they're all ok? I know there are a few more fuses near the battery under the bonnet, but I don't know what they're for or how to check them as I can't see the wire inside or see anywhere to use the tester.

Due to the specific nature of the fault I was sure it must be a fuse or something.

Can anyone help me please. Is it likely to be a fuse? Or a blown bulb? Or...

Thanks for any help
Ian

Ian

Focus TDCi
I've just been to the local car supplies shop and the only thing they can suggest is that it was coincidence that both bulbs have blown at the same time. They're usually pretty helpful, but tbh I think they had no idea. I bought two spare bulbs at a cost of £14, but I don't want to fit them and the same thing happen again.

Both of these type bulbs have blown:
b4a4def4.gif

Setting 1 - Sidelight:
dc9ec65e.gif

(Lower right bulb lit)

Setting 2 - Dipped Lights:
a4b15e41.gif

(Lower right bulb lit)

Setting 2 + Full Beam:
b20ad67d.gif

(Lower and upper right bulbs lit)

Setting 2 + Full Beam + Fog Setting 1:
0d87e560.gif

(Lower and upper right bulbs lit and fog lamp lit)

Setting 2 + Full Beam + Fog Setting 2:
cab26b8a.gif

(Lower and upper right bulbs lit and fog lamp lit fully)

Any help, please?!

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
so theres something wrong with your dipped beam? and how are you making the fogs brighter? im sure theres not a way of doing that is there

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah something appears to have caused both dipped beam lights to blow at the same time. Have you any idea what would do that?

On my left stalk there are two settings for the main lights (sidelight and dipped) and then next to that another switch with two settings which are for the fogs and maybe something else, I don't know tbh. Then if you pull the stalk forward the full beam clicks on.

Thought it made the front fog lamp brighter, but probably just be me seeing things, hard to tell when you're jumping in and out of the car every time.

Stalk:
a27c18b3.gif

Fuses (are these right?):
d3da9d42.gif

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
i think the fogs look abit brighter in the 2nd picture because of the lighting, if you look at the beam thats brighter to, i'll check my fuses and let you know in a few minutes

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah you'll be right, I couldn't be bothered setting up the camera properly, so they're a bit varied! Did have a clearer photo of the fuses too, but it seems to have gone missing.

Thanks for checking. :)

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
d3da9d42.gif

(all of the bellow are from left to right.)

top row.

15. 10. 10. 20 <-- (this one might be the fault on yours not sure though)

2nd row down.

15. (dont have one). 10. (dont have one). 10. (dont have one). 15.

3rd row down.

15. 15. 10. (dont have one). 20. 5. (dont have one). 10

4th row down.

20. 15. 10. (dont have one). (dont have one). 15. (dont have one). 10.

by the way mines a 1.2 RN (i dont have some fuses as i wont have the same things in my car as standard)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers Ya55er, I changed it over with the spare 20 that I had and put the new bulbs in and they are now working as normal. Hopefully this will last, but with it being a Renault I shall remain sceptical :p

Thanks very much for your help dude, I appreciate it. :)

If anyone knows what may have caused the issue in the first place and if it's likely to re-occur then please let me know.

Cheers,
Ian

RIP MK2 PH1/1.4 16v Polo
Cheers Ya55er, I changed it over with the spare 20 that I had and put the new bulbs in and they are now working as normal. Hopefully this will last, but with it being a Renault I shall remain sceptical :p

Thanks very much for your help dude, I appreciate it. :)

If anyone knows what may have caused the issue in the first place and if it's likely to re-occur then please let me know.

Cheers,
Ian
no problem mate:) hopefuly it will be ok now!