ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk3 1.4 16v - Opinions, etc.

Clio 1.2 16v
The company that made me redundant are taking ages with my 'compensation' money (The longer they take, the more I get!) and I am now able to consider a Mk3 as my first car.

I'm looking for opinions, advice and maybe alternative first cars. Anyone own a Mk3? Be interested to know what they're like!

Italian 3.2 V6
Get the mk3 1.2turbo Clio (100bhp), cheap insurance and but still nippy, especially since it's possible to remap it to 120bhp If you get bored and fancy abit more poke! Either that or look into the 1.5 desiel clio (106bhp) am sure you will also be able to remap that at a later date to around 130bhp MABY LOL

Hope this helps.

Clio 1.2 16v
Get the mk3 1.2turbo Clio (100bhp), cheap insurance and but still nippy, especially since it's possible to remap it to 120bhp If you get bored and fancy abit more poke! Either that or look into the 1.5 desiel clio (106bhp) am sure you will also be able to remap that at a later date to around 130bhp MABY LOL

Hope this helps.

The problem with this is that the 1.2 TCE is quite a bit more expensive than the 1.4 due to it being newer and 'more desirable'. I've also heard that the TCE isn't as good as people say.

On the subject of diesels: NO! :rasp:

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I bought a brand new 54 plate megane 1.4 16v dynamique 3 dr, my mrs used it as her motor, the engine was the biggest pile of s**t i have ever driven, i refused to drive the thing in the end, there is no guts in it what so ever, weight wise theres not much different between the clio and the meg these days, fuel use was crap 34 combined and a crap gearbox, i would'nt recomend that 1.4 engine to my worst enemy. the car was great but that engine / gearbox was pathetic.

BMW M135i
I've only driven a 1.2 Mk3 and i'd forgotten they made cars that slow I could've ran to 60 faster, tbh with the extra weight I would imagine it'll only be the same as a Mk2 1.2 performance wise.

Clio 1.2 16v
I've only driven a 1.2 Mk3 and i'd forgotten they made cars that slow I could've ran to 60 faster, tbh with the extra weight I would imagine it'll only be the same as a Mk2 1.2 performance wise.

TBH as my first car it's going to be slow whichever way I go, but in a choice between an older 1.4 or a newer 1.4 i'd rather have the newer one with more technology, etc.

98bhp or w/e they claim the power to be is fine for me, not looking for a road rocket. More interested in hearing what the build quality, etc is like.

BMW M135i
Build quality is better than a Mk2 but still imo has that "cheap" feel to it, that might be different in a dynamique as the one I drove was an expression. And I understand that it won't be quick but that thing was dangerously slow.

Clio 1.2 16v
Build quality is better than a Mk2 but still imo has that "cheap" feel to it, that might be different in a dynamique as the one I drove was an expression. And I understand that it won't be quick but that thing was dangerously slow.

I'd probs be looking at a Dynamique/Dynamique S, but if the interior isn't up to scratch i'll give it the 197 treatment to make myself feel better :approve:

I understand what you're saying with the 1.2 being dangerous, hopefully the 1.4 has enough poke to not see me killed joining a motorway!

wouldnt buy a clio personally, depends what your budget is

the dynamique s is a good looking car though

Clio 1.2 16v
wouldnt buy a clio personally, depends what your budget is

the dynamique s is a good looking car though

If you have alternatives, suggest away! I'm open to looking into all suggestions, will take up some time until I get my cash anyway! :rasp:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
weve got a mk3 1.2 16v expression, its well built, handles brilliant, slow, crap to drive being a 1.2

BUT....
its reliable, has a 3yr warranty, spacious, well built, good on petrol etc etc. its a good boring car

If you have alternatives, suggest away! I'm open to looking into all suggestions, will take up some time until I get my cash anyway! :rasp:

if you can get a clio in warranty then fair enough

golf,polo,civic,ibiza,corsa etc, like i say depends on budget

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
1.6 petrol or 1.5 dci 105, would'nt bother with anything under those 2 engines as they are hard work . clios are heavy old things.

320d
if you can get a clio in warranty then fair enough

golf,polo,civic,ibiza,corsa etc, like i say depends on budget

Clios are good cars mate, just because you've got VAG don't need to piss on everyonr with a humble clio ;)

1.6 petrol or 1.5 dci 105, would'nt bother with anything under those 2 engines as they are hard work . clios are heavy old things.

I'd add the TCE but agree. Although the TCE is expensive to buy and the 106 dci and 1.6 are expensive to insure.

Tbh the difference is how hard you have to work the engine tbh, sometimes you just have to rev the balls off mine especially on uphill sliproads to DC/Motorways which isnt great for fuel consumption or everyday driveability.

I'd imagine the 1.4 16v in the MK3 is the same as the 1.2 16v MK2 as its only 6bhp/ton more than the MK2 1.2 16v.

I'd say go for it tbh mate, it will make a good 1st car.

320d
Was only joking mate, Guess i've been lucky with mine mind you its only a month out of warranty so you wouldnt expect many isssues at this age bar rattles etc.

Up to now i'm all set to buy another clio next year tbh, i love them. No idea why.

Clio 1.2 16v
mines a 1.4, does me nicely.

its 98bhp and the TCE is 100, marginal difference...

What's the 0-60 and top speed for the Mk3 1.4?

I've been doing my research :)o) and the Mk3 1.2 TCE does 0-60 in (according to Renault) 11 seconds and tops out at 114, while the Mk3 1.2 16v does 0-60 in 13.4 and tops out at 104.

Going by this surely the Mk3 1.4 16v is the best deal? It must be close to the TCE's times/speeds, is the same insurance group(4) but costs £2k less to buy (used).

So stock-for-stock the Mk3 1.4 16v and Mk3 1.2 TCE should be pretty evenly matched, with the TCE maybe having slightly more pull during acceleration.

Obviously modified-vs-modified is another story, with the TCE apparently being able to be remapped to 120bhp before intake and exhaust modifications, the 1.4 16v probably being able to reach 110bhp with a remap, intake and exhaust.

Phew...

if you want to base it purely on performance then you can go for the one thats best on paper but youl just be kidding yourself i really dont think there will be a noticable diff in the car. Saying that i dont really care, i dont have my car for its speed, i have it as i like the colour, styling, build etc and a 1.4 was plenty for me as a first car insurance wise.

differences in the TCE are the bodykit and the S wheels.... actually i heard they dont do a 1.4 anymore from new, i thought the 1.2 TCE was its replacement.

Scirocco GT 2.0
I have owned a Mk3 1.4 Dynamique S Clio since June and I so far so good tbh! I don't have many niggles since I had the MPG problem sorted thanks to DrRollo.

It's nippy, has a far bit of mid range torque for motorway driving, it likes to get away at round-a-bouts quickly if needed, suprises me sometimes how much power it does have for a 1.4 now it has fully run in.

The cornering lights actually come in handy, especially when pulling on to the drive when it's dark, you can check for the recycling bags/cats etc with ease, it is also handy for turning into non-lit roads.

It's quiet at cruise speed, seats are comfy, plenty of room in the back, nice trim, doesn't rattle except when it is uber cold, nice driving postion

The only niggles I have picked up on so far are:

The door handles are too close to the hinges which makes the doors quite awkward to open/close especially for the passenger.

And imo it really needs a 6th gear for motorway driving, 4/5k revs at 70/80mph can be a bit loud, but the radio soon covers that no problem, although without the radio it isn't THAT noisy, but it can grate after a while.

Also my car came with no speakers in the side panels in the back so I had to purchase and with the help of Pettsi install them, but the wiring was already in place so it was fairly easy.

Don't know what else so say really, any questions - fire away!

:approve:

EDIT: I have also driven the 1.2 TCE on test drive and a mates 55' 1.4 Clio, and I prefered the Mk3 1.4 hands down

BTW do you want to buy mine? LOL! jokes

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16v
if you want to base it purely on performance then you can go for the one thats best on paper but youl just be kidding yourself i really dont think there will be a noticable diff in the car. Saying that i dont really care, i dont have my car for its speed, i have it as i like the colour, styling, build etc and a 1.4 was plenty for me as a first car insurance wise.

differences in the TCE are the bodykit and the S wheels.... actually i heard they dont do a 1.4 anymore from new, i thought the 1.2 TCE was its replacement.

The reason why I was basing on performance was because the rest of the car will be the same. I'll likely be getting a Dynam/Dynam S which have the same equipment (excluding the optional extras) across the range of engines.

The 1.2 TCE did replace the 1.4 16v, and Renault kept a 1.2 16v as the entry-level car.

As long as the 1.4 16v gets from 0-60 in 11-12 seconds i'm not really fussed. I know it will do over 90mph which is more than enough top end for me. The rest of the car sounds great, cornering lights FTW, what a great idea! :p Also like the idea of lead foot = best MPG :approve:

If I get bored i'll stick a 1.2 TCE turbo on the 1.4, job's a good 'un! :rasp:

Cheers everyone, especially oz and scotty, very helpful! :)

Mk2 Clio dci
If your after a bit of poke go for the TCE. 1.4 is so slow compare to the TCE. They may be only 100bhp, but they do keep up with 1.6s, and the mpg is better.
Or get a twingo RS, only group 8E!

Scirocco GT 2.0
The reason why I was basing on performance was because the rest of the car will be the same. I'll likely be getting a Dynam/Dyman S which have the same equipment (excluding the optional extras) across the range of engines.

The 1.2 TCE did replace the 1.4 16v, and Renault kept a 1.2 16v as the entry-level car.

As long as the 1.4 16v gets from 0-60 in 11-12 seconds i'm not really fussed. I know it will do over 90mph which is more than enough top end for me. The rest of the car sounds great, cornering lights FTW, what a great idea! :p Also like the idea of lead foot = best MPG :approve:

If I get bored i'll stick a 1.2 TCE turbo on the 1.4, job's a good 'un! :rasp:

Cheers everyone, especially oz and scotty, very helpful! :)

Can you actually do that? I've thought about doing that myself.

No problem btw PM if you want more info/pics/what ever

Scirocco GT 2.0
If your after a bit of poke go for the TCE. 1.4 is so slow compare to the TCE. They may be only 100bhp, but they do keep up with 1.6s, and the mpg is better.
Or get a twingo RS, only group 8E!

IMO the 1.2 TCE has no proper poke at all!

You get sudden bursts of power, then it just kinda becomes a 1.2 again, was really not impressed after test driving it a couple of times, hate the way it attempts to become a 1.6 when it isn't.

Also at round-a-bouts it was rubbash at pulling away, then the turbo kicked in and you end up in the middle of the it!

Clio 1.2 16v
Can you actually do that? I've thought about doing that myself.

No problem btw PM if you want more info/pics/what ever

Not really sure, probably could at a price... hmmm, 1.4 16v turbo, what a tempting 'waste' of money :D Better start looking on ebay for TCEs being parted out!

TBH i'd rather have constant smooth power delivery than a turbo that speaks up every now and then. I doubt that the TCE is really much hassle for an average 1.6

Twingo is slightly out of my range... a brand new car (£££) and group 8 insurance (£££).

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
small engine petrols imo are a bit crap to drive, our 1.2 isnt that smooth when changing gear or pulling away, where my dci with 3x more miles on the clock feels so much more refined!

id go for at least 1.6 16v if not dci, my dci doesnt feel that much slower around town than my 172 does due to the torque (although its been a while since ive driven the 172 lol)

Clio 1.2 16v
small engine petrols imo are a bit crap to drive, our 1.2 isnt that smooth when changing gear or pulling away, where my dci with 3x more miles on the clock feels so much more refined!

id go for at least 1.6 16v if not dci, my dci doesnt feel that much slower around town than my 172 does due to the torque (although its been a while since ive driven the 172 lol)

I don't want a diesel, no particular reason not to but I just don't want one :rasp:

I'd love a 1.6 16v but insurance is too high on one. Group 5 is the highest i'd let myself go at a push. The 1.4 16v seems to be the perfect compromise between affordability, practicality, performance and efficiency.

White Sti Hatch
1.4 engine is being phased out and the 1.2TCE is taking over from it so id go with the TCE if it has to be a low insurance group

Clio Mk3
I've got a Mk3 1.4 16v Dynamique myself, which i've had since about July and would definitely recommend them. I had a Mk2 Phase 2 1.4 16v Dynamique before, which i'd still have if it didn't get written off my a Landrover and have to say the Mk3 is better in every way. The gear stick is better as you don't have to faff around with pulling levers up for reverse, the brakes are savage compared to that of the Phase 2, the power steering does so much more for you and the boot is alot bigger as well, due to the spair wheel being under the car now. It also feels like there's a lot more room in the back and the front seats are more confortable. The only down side i can think to of the car is that it isn't that great if you're a passenger in the back as it is very bumpy and noisy back there. I'd definetly recommend getting one though. Imo it's in a different league to the Phase 2.

Scirocco GT 2.0
I've got a Mk3 1.4 16v Dynamique myself, which i've had since about July and would definitely recommend them. I had a Mk2 Phase 2 1.4 16v Dynamique before, which i'd still have if it didn't get written off my a Landrover and have to say the Mk3 is better in every way. The gear stick is better as you don't have to faff around with pulling levers up for reverse, the brakes are savage compared to that of the Phase 2, the power steering does so much more for you and the boot is alot bigger as well, due to the spair wheel being under the car now. It also feels like there's a lot more room in the back and the front seats are more confortable. The only down side i can think to of the car is that it isn't that great if you're a passenger in the back as it is very bumpy and noisy back there. I'd definetly recommend getting one though. Imo it's in a different league to the Phase 2.

+1 Gear change is very neat! on the Mk2s I drove it was like sturring coal.

Hydraulic clutch too which helps for a quick gear change, my car loves a bit of quick change action.

Do you find that reverse gear doesn't want to engage sometimes? You have to keep trying a couple of times before it finally goes in.

Clio Mk3
I've had that a couple of times, but not enough that i even thought of mentioning it tbh. You only realise it's not in gear when you actually put your foot down and all you get is reving. lol It's better than the Phase 2's issue though of thinking it's in reverse when it's actually in gear 1, which isn't great when in a car park. lol

Scirocco GT 2.0
I've had that a couple of times, but not enough that i even thought of mentioning it tbh. You only realise it's not in gear when you actually put your foot down and all you get is reving. lol It's better than the Phase 2's issue though of thinking it's in reverse when it's actually in gear 1, which isn't great when in a car park. lol

Oh right maybe theres something wrong with mine then.

Sometimes (seems to be getting worse) it will not even try to go into reverse, feels like there is something stopping it.

But once you re-engage the clutch a few times and try again it slips in nicely. I think it has only started doing it since I had it serviced, so I will prob take it in sometime to be looked at.

Also, does anyone get a high pitched electrical twitching noise sometimes? coming from the steering wheel area.

Last edited: