ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MK3 Clio Battery running dead

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
I have an '06 mk3 clio, unfortunately need to jumpstart to get it going as the battery keeps going flat! I've had a look at all the engine bay fuses, and the fuses near the steering column. I've had a look for water under the bonet, and loose cables and I can't seem to find anything. Also connected an EOBD reader when the car has had power and it doesn't read any codes.

I just hear a high pitch whine from under the bonnet everytime the car has power, and whatever it is means that the battery keeps decharching. Does anybody have any ideas of what could be going on? :( I could not check all the fuses as I'm not sure how to remove the panels.

Thanks

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
Alternator or the fact that the battery is actually dead?

Alternator seems to be charging the battery fine when it is jump started and driven. And battery seems to hold charge, sometimes the car doesn't turn off though and the battery is still in use.

Megane dci 130
Very common for UPC problems on early clio 3's. Check for water in the unit behind besides the battery.

Megane dci 130
Scrap that, just seen you have already done this in another thread. Seems you already have the modification done aswell. Have you done a battery drain test?

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
Scrap that, just seen you have already done this in another thread. Seems you already have the modification done aswell. Have you done a battery drain test?

Which picture did you see? as I may have not posted a picture of my car. I checked all the fuses (I think now), not tried a drain test, but the battery is actually new! Test couldn't hurt though, how do you do one?

Last edited:
  Megane dci 130
In the other post about the fuse box. I would just remove that upc/fuse box and check it over for any water damage. If all that seems ok, do a drain test.

This basically tests wether the car is pulling a small current all the time, draining your battery.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
In the other post about the fuse box. I would just remove that upc/fuse box and check it over for any water damage. If all that seems ok, do a drain test.

This basically tests wether the car is pulling a small current all the time, draining your battery.

The picture below is a picture of my fusebox, the other picture I posted isn't mine. I'll look up a guide for taking it out and have a gander, I'll also look into a drain test. Thanks! I'll let you know what the result is.

Rp5aefT.jpg

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Alternator seems to be charging the battery fine when it is jump started and driven. And battery seems to hold charge, sometimes the car doesn't turn off though and the battery is still in use.
You say the alternator seems the be charging ok, but have you actually tested it? A fuse being blown wouldn't cause a battery drain as it would just stop all voltage and current in that circuit.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
You say the alternator seems the be charging ok, but have you actually tested it? A fuse being blown wouldn't cause a battery drain as it would just stop all voltage and current in that circuit.

I haven't actually tested it no, but when I drive the car it recharges the battery. I can come back to it about 4 hours later and it will still have power.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V

I thought maybe a fuse could interrupt the ECU, because the car wasn't turning off before. Plus just thought it would be a good learning experience!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I haven't actually tested it no, but when I drive the car it recharges the battery. I can come back to it about 4 hours later and it will still have power.
I'd be testing it if it was my own car. Test it using a multimeter across the battery. First with the engine off, should be getting around 12v. Then with engine on, should be getting 13.5-14.5v. Then test again with engine on, lights on, should be getting 13.5-14.5v.

If an ECU went down, it would more than likely take the engine down with it.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
I'd be testing it if it was my own car. Test it using a multimeter across the battery. First with the engine off, should be getting around 12v. Then with engine on, should be getting 13.5-14.5v. Then test again with engine on, lights on, should be getting 13.5-14.5v.

If an ECU went down, it would more than likely take the engine down with it.

Just had an automobile electrician come give me hand! Reset all the codes through the OBD, turns out the ECU was confused and the immobiliser wouldn't let me turn me car on. We tested battery drain with the multimeter, no drain.

But when the battery was reconnected we can hear a whirring noise from under the bonnet, and something is clearly draining the battery. Disconnected the battery and we are going to check the relays tomorrow.

Megane dci 130
Mate, iv just seen another thread you made about the engine not turning off. I have told you the solution to your problem in that thread.

Why not take the advice i gave you?

You need a new UPC.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
Mate, iv just seen another thread you made about the engine not turning off. I have told you the solution to your problem in that thread.

Why not take the advice i gave you?

You need a new UPC.

I got an auto electrician to come out today, he had a look at the car through the OBD port and reset some ECU errors. The car now turns on and off fine. The only problem is the battery drain, he's going to have a look tomorrow. That is the only problem now.

'06 Clio III 1.2 16V
A second hand one will work. They aren't coded.

I did not know that! I thought they were coded, I'll have a gander on eBay. I heard a few people drying them out with hairdriers, but I don't think that would work.

All I can find are ECU's, is that another name for a UPC?