ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mobile Data Usage

I'm stepping into the modern era and have just ordered my first smart phone, the Nexus 4.

Now, having not used a smart phone before I have no idea how much data i will need/use, my tarrifs seem to include 1gb but i like the idea of having more, even though i have no idea if i will use it or not.

My choices are...

Virgin - £12 - 1200 Minutes - 5000 Texts - 1gb data
TMob - £16 - Unlimited - Unlimited - Unlimited

Essentially, they are about the same, with the exception of the data, so basically, what im asking is, is it worth £48 a year for unlimited data?

DB.

BMW 440i
Unlimited isn't 1GB, don't be daft. ^.

1GB is a good amount tbh, you would only go over that if you were streaming video onto your phone, or just using it loads daily. Fairly hard to go over when your connected to WIFI at home and other places of high usage. Do you have WIFI at home?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
unlimited is 1GB if you have Tesco,

However i've only got to that point once, but i don't have 3G at home or anything, and mostly use WIFI.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
1gb should be more than enough unless your hammering it.

I hammer mine and I use around 2gb a month.

Plus as said, if you connect to your wifi when your at home that will help you lose less anyway.

Get an app in the Android Market called 3g Watchdog. You can input your data allowance and renewal date for your allowance and it will monitor your mobile internet useage in the top left corner. Keeps track of it all for you and warns you when your nearing your limit. You can also set it to cut your mobile internet off should you go over to stop you getting a massive bill.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ive got 1gb on my S3 and somehow manage to use the whole lot! I use it alot though, and im not often connected to wireless!

1gb should be enough tbh!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Tesco smartphone 30 day sim only rolling tariff - £15 a month (2gb data, 5000sms 1000mins).

Sounds like winning to me.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Who's that with, is it really un-capped and is that a 30day contract?

I use the above with my SG Note2 but I took it out at the begining of the year when it was 3gb data... really should check to see if my data limit has been reduced (I suspect it has).

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It depends what you do with your phones I guess. I do alot of email and access Renault and business intranet services so I'd regularly go over that 1gb limit but I'm a business user with a small tv in my pocket. I guess joe bloggs using gmail and facebook wouldn't need anymore.

Who's that with, is it really un-capped and is that a 30day contract?

I use the above with my SG Note2 but I took it out at the begining of the year when it was 3gb data... really should check to see if my data limit has been reduced (I suspect it has).

Mick

Hi Mick,

I checked and it really is uncapped, it is with T-Mobile on a special offer that i think will be starting again this Wednesday, the only down side of it is that it is a 12 month contract instead of 30 day, but for an offer as good as that i wouldnt be against signing up for the year.

I really like the idea of having unlimited data but hate the idea of wasting £48 for something im not going to use.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's not too bad, I dont mind 12 month contracts either but it seems they want you on monthly contracts now (as they can change your terms monthly) unless you've absolutely gotta have that iphone 9 over 3yrs.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
In 3 years of iphone ownership I've only ever once gone over my 1GB limit. I use my phone for emailing, watching the odd video and forum surfing.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Just out of curiosity, do you have to go with Virgin or TMobile? They're probably the two worst service providers I can think of - you'll be able to get unlimited 3G, but good luck getting it anywhere outside built up places - tend to find they, along with 3, offer the lowest prices for a reason.

I may be being naive, but personally wouldn't go anything other than 02 (inc. Tesco Mobile) or Vodafone.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
When I worked for Voda's engineering team (many years ago now mind) there was a reason we referred to "Orange" as "Zero range"

If I had to choose a 2G/3G network on service level it would be Voda but O2 are a close second especially as they are sharing 4G sites so when they launch there will be nothing between them coverage wise other than routing.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, both are good, I've been with a few, and had other mates go with others. These days I get O2 Open through work, so it's a no brainer, but my dads been with Vodafone for years and insists he'd never go anywhere else.

I first went O2 because when I got an iPhone 3GS, it was O2 exclusive at the time, stayed with them since, despite having never had another iPhone/exclusive.

Skoda Fabia vRS
doesnt Virgin use Orange/T-Mobile, where I live they are a lot better than the rest, O2 is pants

Yeah, Virgin use T-Mob/Orange, I'm currently on T-Mob so staying with them or moving to Virgin isn't much of an issue.

Looks like i might give them a call tonight and see if i can sort a cheaper tarrif with less data, no point throwing £48 away.

It gets even better...

Carphone Warehouse promise to be 10% cheaper than any network for Sim Only deals, they were offering the T-Mob Full Monty deal at £21 but since T-Mob have reduced it to £16, CPW are now offering it at £21 still but with £80 automatic cashback, essentially meaning you are paying £14.33 for unlimited calls, texts and data!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Really?

I wish they would have done that when I was lookin for a sim only deal a few months back.