ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Molyslip for a whiny gearbox?

My gearbox drones and whines when you ease off the accelerator whilst still in gear. I have been told this could be the bearing but until I get the box out no one will know for sure? Can molyslip or anything dull down the noise? I would post a video but my phone doesn't really pick up the noise over my v6 airbox!

I will be refurbing the box when I have got together enough funds so just looking for something to quieten it down abit for the mean time!

Out of interest, what should I pay for labour in removing/refitting my gearbox? Agency trans seem to be highly recommended so would probably go there unless any of the traders on here can refurb/fit it all themselves?

Cheers for the help

ClioSport 172 Cup
I wouldn`t worry about it. Mine has started to whine a little bit. Highly tuned Touring and GT race cars use Quaife boxes and they whine and drone naturally, I think its quite a cool sound. Listen to the Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak car if you want to hear a real whining box!

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL at cool sound.

If you want it removed and refitted cheaply, you can leave it with me while the box is off being refurbed.. I'm in Chertsey, Surrey.

PM if you want my number/prices etc.

340i
You could swap the gear oil for 75w90, a thicker viscosity to nurse the box and keep it quieter..

ITB'd MK1
You could swap the gear oil for 75w90, a thicker viscosity to nurse the box and keep it quieter..

I even started using 80w90 in my box. WAY cheaper and the box isn't going to last more than a few months anyway. It is a bit like treacle though

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Oddly it's my 5th that crunches, only when cold and it's still the same from when I got it on 11k

Yozz'd up 182
No crunches yet here but a whine in 5th and very faintly in 3rd 4th. Dif im guessing as never affects the changes or pull.