ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More 197 gearbox woes!

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
I was on a track day at the weekend, car ( 07 197 cup) and gearbox going great until I came into the pits. Went to put the car into second gear only to find second gear is now 4th gear! Tried first gear, it goes in but it is now 3rd gear! I manage to get back to the car park, park the car up for 10 minutes then try to give it another go. Went to reverse out of the space and reverse is, yep, you guessed it, 3rd gear!!

So the current gear situation is – reverse is 3rd, reverse and down (which was previously no gear of course!) is 4th gear!, 1st gear is 3rd, 2nd gear is 4th, 5th gear is 5th and 6th gear is 6th!

No 1st gear, no 2nd gear and no reverse gear.

The gearbox was only rebuilt a few weeks ago after the 3rd gear syncro going (as they all seem to do!)

So the question I have is, what do you think has caused this issue?

Is it the linkage (what I’m desperately hoping!!) worked loose, the selector fork, the shaft or worse?!

330i. E30 Touring.
Sounds like linkage needs aligning again to me.

That said, i haven't ever done a 197 one, so can't offer advice on how to.

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
I'm thinking (hoping) linkage as well. I think whatever moves the linkage to the left has worked loose/broken/misaligned. The fact that reverse and down is now a gear (where the gearlever never even went there previously) makes me think this is what it is.

I certainly hope it is this as having to take the gearbox out again after about half an hours driving would be a real ballache!!

330i. E30 Touring.
On a 1*2, it would be the 13mm nut come loose/linkage moved where it joins the box. 30 seconds to fix if you know what you're doing.

996 turbo, R1 & Clio 172
I will actually throw a massive party if it turns out to just be a linkage ha ha!

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I'm guessing it's a good old fashion rod and not cables like the 225..

There should be a nut on the shaft just under the gear stick when under the can, if you crack it off it has (normally has) splines so you can notch it to a new position.. Lock off and test..

If it's cables there might be some adjusters on the rods.. I have no idea I've never had to deal with cables..