ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More advice on car bought

Right folks, I'm back again... Bought a 200 from carshop about 2month back. Box failed had a new one put in paid for by renault. Picked it up still had a knocking noise when at slow speed and shifting gears. Took it back they put a new driveshaft seal on. Picked it up again an it's still doing it!! Now the garage are saying to fix the knock a new driveshaft may work.... Plus I have to pay for driveshaft £504. I'm not convinced they know what's wrong and are guessing. What rights do I have to get a full refund from where I bought it from? Any help would be once again massively appreciated. Thanks Gary.

Listerine & Poledo
They shouldn't be forcing the cost onto you. If a fault picked up at time of purchase has not been rectified then you may have the right to just hand it back.

If it was an all-new fault, different story, but the fault is a legacy of that you had since day 1

Before the new box was replaced it never made a knocking noise it's just proving that to them. I think they have had enough of fixing it for free an have given up now.

Listerine & Poledo
3 strike isn't a rule. In fact, I dont know where that idea comes from, I've heard it before but it's nothing legal.

They're not able to "give up" on fixing the fault. Unless you bought it with full knowledge of the fault, which I assume you did not.

They must remedy the fault, without undue inconvenience to yourself. Or they replace the vehicle (less likely) or accept that you return the vehicle for a refund of the full cost of purchase.

Sure, used cars will come with problems, but they began the fix and thus they need to ensure that the fix is complete. Which, currently, it is not

Listerine & Poledo
Problem is he didn't buy car from renault.

Irrelephant.

#notsureiftrolling?

But seriously, it doesn't matter, so long as he bought it from a garage (or other "trader") then the SOGA will still be in effect. However the garage wants to remedy the issue is up to them, do it in-house or use a 3rd party, however teh work must be done, without unnecessary inconvenience to the buyer.

Dems the rules.

Or Gazza takes it back ,drops them the keys and asks for the money back. Alternatively, if bought using a credit card, tell the card issuer and they'll just recall the funds for you.

GTD, Lupo
Hand it back and get a full refund. Write a letter to the branch explaining what has happened and what you want. Send it recorded delivery and explain they have 14 days to respond. Make sure you put the wording "without prejudice" at the top in bold.

Thanks guys, at wits end here, not been able to enjoy the potential of this car as much as I had hoped recently. Il get on to them as soon as I'm home from work. Thanks again.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Jeez Renault, I know service isn't great but it just seems truly awful now

Renault have been good up to now, and RUK brilliant. Just seems now they have got to the point at this renault garage where my car is at and they don't know what's wrong. Basically saying we aren't sure give us £504 for a new drive shaft and it might work...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Seems very steep for a drive shaft, what else are the replacing in that cost?

172cup
I'd take it to good renault garage and pay them just to find the fault then when they locate the problem I'd take it back to the garage you got if from with paper work saying what's wrong and ask them to fix it and pay you back for the renault garage bill

182 FF
Got it down to £150 fitted with renault and dealership discount.
Why not agree to pay ONLY if it fixes the issue. If not, they suck up the cost themselves and try another option.
That'll make them think a bit harder before doing guess work fixes

Why not agree to pay ONLY if it fixes the issue. If not, they suck up the cost themselves and try another option.
That'll make them think a bit harder before doing guess work fixes

yeah that's what I have done mate, only time will tell lol.

RB 182 195bhp
I wouldn't pay a penny. If you buy a car from a dealer, it should be in working order, unless described otherwise. I'd go down there, tell them you don't want it anymore due to the hassle and time wasting and buy another car elsewhere.