ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

More fuel for the fire...

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Ah, well, Phil Morrison says buy them.

He would do, seeing as he sells them.

So cynical Gaz. He's bound to be 100% unbiased, it's not like he stands to lose out financially if he makes any negative comments about them....

When you can't find a problem with the article you attack the author, I thought better of you two.

When you can't find a problem with the article you attack the author, I thought better of you two.

Easiest bit to go at. Some more for you.

1. His whole quality down to being cast not forged argument, utter b****cks. I've never gone for the quality argument myself anyway, as they have improved from their Early s**te.
2. Rota don't advertise their "additional quality checks". Probably don't do any, otherwise they'd mention it.
3. Motorsports - I don't exactly see Rota used for high end motorsport series'.
4. Rota make most manufacturer's wheels, would be nice to see some actual proof rather than a random statement. Seeing as German companies tend use BBS and Borbet, Renault use Speedline, Jap manufacturers tend use Rays/Enkei etc.
5. Inspired by other designs - Taking a design and changing one not so easy to notice part isn't "inspired by". it's copying, then changing a small bit they can prove so they can't be sued.

Anything else?

I didn't even waste my time reading it tbh. I've read more than enough pro/against articles regarding Rotas to not feel the need to spend any more time on it, given that I won't be buying any of their products it holds no interest for me. When you have links to a company you are not an unbiased source in my eyes.

I'd sooner read an article written by an independent engineering company who've done exhaustive testing and have zero links to the product being tested, but that's just me.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
So you get sponsorship for your team cars from Rota, you wouldn't run them on your own cars too if you were getting them free or cheap? Blinkered.

Not if I genuinely had reason to think they were unsafe? Regardless of if they were free!?

Turbos.
I thought it funny that because he sold the wheels, it made him a more trusted source. LOL!

It was interesting to read about the history of Rota though. I would be curious to know more definitive information on them being an OEM supplier, and exactly what standards their wheels meet (i.e. is it comparable to the likes of BBS etc, not some national standard as mentioned in the article).

Grouping Rota wheels with all cast wheels (especially OEM) is also misleading. People moan about OEM wheels being heavy, but it is done through purpose, not laziness. They are built to last women smacking kerbs for years. It is great that Rotas are light, but clearly there must be a compromise there. Not that is my issue with Rotas.

The only problem i have with them is that they have copied relentlessly over the years. Its just not ethically right, in my eyes. And then that makes me think, if they are unashamed about copying designs, what else is the company as a whole prepared to compromise on?

Not if I genuinely had reason to think they were unsafe? Regardless of if they were free!?

They've proven that they can build wheels that no longer explode when a feather touches them, unlike their EARLY stuff, so why would he find them unsafe?

Like I said, I don't doubt they can pass a quality standard and I don't go for the quality argument myself. My issue with them is the blatant design copying.

RS172
Funny how its right along a seem of the wheel. On a worse note. The front is cracked too but that one hit the kerb after the blow out. Bent his rack, snapped his wishbone.

034f4e12.jpg

i used to see this car on a daily basis on the trailer he sheds in the background is where i keep my cows!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
i used to see this car on a daily basis on the trailer he sheds in the background is where i keep my cows!!

That's my mates farm. We're always down there. My mate recovered it with his 90 and trailor..haha

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
We used forged Enkei wheels IIRC on the Aston racer. All the wheels came back cracked, one didn't come back. As it broke off.

LET THE GAMES COMMENCE!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Stretch tyres + sideways = bad

Surely that is obvious?

Dude stfu nearly all drifters use stretched rubber...

Big balloon spec tyres come off a rim much easier than stretched! On a stretched tyre the bead is forced out and against the rim, they might deflate but they don't pop off the rim easier...

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Yeah, I broke forged desmonds too, big deal.

DONT TELL 'TOPHER FOR THE SAKE OF CHRIST.

bum unit.

And always thought that Malice, having seen how hard it is to get a stretched tyre on the rim and how much force they are being held on their by, I'd have thought it is indeed stronger. Everyone asked me if my puncture was because of stretched rubber. WTF is with this fear of it?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
But if your drifting around a left corner the load is all on the rear right hand tyre. The tyre would be forced to the outer edge of the wheel creating a good seal as you say but the inner bead of the tyre will be slipping off right? How is that good? Would a tyre that fits the wheel be a better option? Serious question not trolling or anything

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im sure all wheels are a little bit s**t when they break.

If you take even the best alloys to the limit they will break.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No mate they are bolted not glued.

My bad then, the bolts must be still attatched because they are not visible here.

3005190323_193e20b541_o.jpg

Even so, bolted through the rim like that will never be strong enough surely? As all you are relying on is the head of the bolt??

I personally don't see what the point of posting a carbon and magnesium two piece wheel has to do with a thread about one piece forged and cast alloy wheels.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I personally don't see what the point of posting a carbon and magnesium two piece wheel has to do with a thread about one piece forged and cast alloy wheels.

Simply saying that even high end alloys have there problems! As all you boys keep saying you get what you pay for!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've seen expensive rims break in racing, but again Rotas aren't racing rims. You could do donuts, drifting out of junctions/round roundabouts and 140mph all day long but it won't come close to the abuse a wheel 'can' experience in an accident (e.g. hitting a rumble strip whilst braking).

The irony is that most people that moan about them will never take their cars to any such limits.

Lionel Richie
they money we got through on porsche BBS race wheels was silly, we would crack 2-3 centre per race, normal