ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Most VFM way to get performance from a 1*2

Ph1
There is no answer to this thread. Its all down to personal opinions.

Im more than happy with my cam based set up.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
To be honest your best off deciding how much power and torque you want then working out the cheapest way to get there. As mentioned forced induction provides the biggest gains but will be costly, however if you go down the route of cams, headwork, itbs etc your still loking at the thick end of £4000 unless as Bazzon/Barron say and you can pick it up second hand for cheap.

I totally see the point of having a tuned road car and enjoy the ability of making fast progress with out having to screw it to death I don't however see the fascination with car trackdays, I'd much rather take my bike, as a biker and car driver the skill difference involved between the two is vast. And becides to put it into perspective I can lap croft sub 1.30 on a naked road bike with 90bhp and road tyres, how much would you need to spend on clio to get anywhere near that?

Steve

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
To be honest your best off deciding how much power and torque you want then working out the cheapest way to get there. As mentioned forced induction provides the biggest gains but will be costly, however if you go down the route of cams, headwork, itbs etc your still loking at the thick end of £4000 unless as Bazzon/Barron say and you can pick it up second hand for cheap.

I totally see the point of having a tuned road car and enjoy the ability of making fast progress with out having to screw it to death I don't however see the fascination with car trackdays, I'd much rather take my bike, as a biker and car driver the skill difference involved between the two is vast. And becides to put it into perspective I can lap croft sub 1.30 on a naked road bike with 90bhp and road tyres, how much would you need to spend on clio to get anywhere near that?

Steve

Well, my father isnt able to walk due to a bike accident, so this is my reason not to be a biker/bike fan.

I do think bikes are exciting and produce awesome racing but not something i will ever do.

I was lapping croft in 1.46 in our clio.

But id never spend 4k making a clio quicker for the road.

Ph1
Just been on Passionford and the outlay some of them are paying out makes a charger kit look like pocket money!

Yeah its expensive to tune a Clio but so is every other car

ITB'd 182...
Bigger brakes and uprated suspension and some track day tutoring will make you a "quicker" driver

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Sorry to hear about your dad, as someone who does a lot of organsised bike riding it's never good to hear of someone being hurt doing something they love.

I really think were getiing off on the wrong foot here but the opening poster asked about VFM tuning only to be told how theres no point tuning his car for the road and subtle accusations of street racing?

If both you and your brother religiously stick to the speed limits and never drive in a spirited manner on the road then why do you both own capable hot hatches? Why not trade them in and buy a couple of 1.2 clios that will still do 70mph? plus as an added bonus you'd have extra cash to tune your track car.

The reason I had mine turbocharged was because I could'nt find a faster replacement for the same price (ie the sale value of the trophy and the cost of the conversion) obviously I could of bought an older car with more mileage but I've owned mine from new and know everything about it so it was a logical decision as far as i was concerned. Besides the price I paid for the conversion was to good to miss and I only use it as weekend toy anyway.

At the end of the day it really is each to there own, you love your trackday clio and I love my turbo trophy.

Everones a winner.

Steve

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Sorry to hear about your dad, as someone who does a lot of organsised bike riding it's never good to hear of someone being hurt doing something they love.

I really think were getiing off on the wrong foot here but the opening poster asked about VFM tuning only to be told how theres no point tuning his car for the road and subtle accusations of street racing?

If both you and your brother religiously stick to the speed limits and never drive in a spirited manner on the road then why do you both own capable hot hatches? Why not trade them in and buy a couple of 1.2 clios that will still do 70mph? plus as an added bonus you'd have extra cash to tune your track car.

The reason I had mine turbocharged was because I could'nt find a faster replacement for the same price (ie the sale value of the trophy and the cost of the conversion) obviously I could of bought an older car with more mileage but I've owned mine from new and know everything about it so it was a logical decision as far as i was concerned. Besides the price I paid for the conversion was to good to miss and I only use it as weekend toy anyway.

At the end of the day it really is each to there own, you love your trackday clio and I love my turbo trophy.

Everones a winner.

Steve

We both do drive quick on the roads occasionally, on weekends up the dales, But we both think, for roads a 182 and a 172 is more than capable. Because of other road users road conditions, you still never use 100% of the cars capability.

Before having track experience we thought we were on the limits or the cars cabability, but getting on track has convinced us we were nowhere near.
My parents and girlfriend will be the first to say that track driving has changed my road driving for the better.

To get the most out of a conversion we feel that the car should be stripped and on decent suspension etc, this therefore makes our car not great on the road.

But the 4k bill for a 1second quicker to 60 on the road dooes nothing for me.

Using it for a weekend toy is no different to having a track car then. ;)

rps13
But the 4k bill for a 1second quicker to 60 on the road dooes nothing for me.

Those of us who purely drive fast road will naturally feel different then.

Track driving is not the pinnacle of having fun in a clio.

yes and as a road car a standard 172/182 is more then fast enough, with so many variable road conditions and risks of being banned or having a accident i dont see the point in spending a fortune on them to make them faster,

no one is saying you cant have fun in a clio on the road at all as you can, and i do enjoy driving my 182 and having fun in it but its rarely pushed to its limits, for someone to say they push there car to the limits on the road all the time i find both amusing and worrying.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Bazzon I understand what your saying about pushing the limits on track compared to the road.

Before I started doing bike track days I used to ride quickly and get my knee down at every opportunity, since doing TD's I just don't see the point in risking it.

However there's no need to ram it down everyones throat, yes we all know you've got a track clio and were all very pleased that you enjoy tracking it and tinkering on with it, but theres no need to spam this thread with non constructive comments.

If it was your thread asking for advice I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy someone else coming along saying don't waste your time etc....

Just out of curiosity where has this 4k figure come from that you keep reffering to? As if your hinting at thats how much my turbo cost then your very much mistaken.

Steve

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Bazzon I understand what your saying about pushing the limits on track compared to the road.

Before I started doing bike track days I used to ride quickly and get my knee down at every opportunity, since doing TD's I just don't see the point in risking it.

However there's no need to ram it down everyones throat, yes we all know you've got a track clio and were all very pleased that you enjoy tracking it and tinkering on with it, but theres no need to spam this thread with non constructive comments.

If it was your thread asking for advice I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy someone else coming along saying don't waste your time etc....

Just out of curiosity where has this 4k figure come from that you keep reffering to? As if your hinting at thats how much my turbo cost then your very much mistaken.

Steve

Lolz, we were having a discussion. which is fair enough, both butting across a sensible arguement either way. so i really dont see where you coming from, you have "spammed" as much in this thread as if you look at it that way.

4 K is somewhere between the cost of a ITB kit and a big turbo/supercharger kit. If you want to tell me the exact price you paid great, but it doesnt really bother me.

I am not saying dont through money in to a road clio, its your choice if you want to, but so many of these threads start, "i want to do big mods" then when people actually think about the benefits of spending there £2.599 +VAT ;) on a low pressure turbo kit, some people then feel its not worth it.

By all means go spend the cash but have a hard think about what you will benefit and why you think you need the extra power in a clio on the road.

If its to boast about figure to mate in the pub is it worth it? is it cos you enjoy working on the car? is it just because you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

The guy asked for advice, i just advicing him to think wether he will really benefit from the mods?
And as others have said you can do whatever you want to your car, but you will never see the full benefits of it on the road.

I have friends that spend a fortune on their road cars (mainly hondas) and i just can not see the benefit.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Lolz, we were having a discussion. which is fair enough, both butting across a sensible arguement either way. so i really dont see where you coming from, you have "spammed" as much in this thread as if you look at it that way.

4 K is somewhere between the cost of a ITB kit and a big turbo/supercharger kit. If you want to tell me the exact price you paid great, but it doesnt really bother me.

I am not saying dont through money in to a road clio, its your choice if you want to, but so many of these threads start, "i want to do big mods" then when people actually think about the benefits of spending there £2.599 +VAT ;) on a low pressure turbo kit, some people then feel its not worth it.

By all means go spend the cash but have a hard think about what you will benefit and why you think you need the extra power in a clio on the road.

If its to boast about figure to mate in the pub is it worth it? is it cos you enjoy working on the car? is it just because you have money burning a hole in your pocket?

The guy asked for advice, i just advicing him to think wether he will really benefit from the mods?
And as others have said you can do whatever you want to your car, but you will never see the full benefits of it on the road.

I have friends that spend a fortune on their road cars (mainly hondas) and i just can not see the benefit.

I'm really not that interested in bragging to people etc.. otherwise there'd be a thread in the project section as Ktec were kind enough to give me the photographs from the full installation. Besides It is the only Turbo Trophy in the country don't ya know. LOL

For people considering tuning on a mk2 clio ITB's roll in at £2390 compared to Turbo £2599 It really is a lot of cash to throw at any car. Whilst loads of people would love to indulge, realistically its not an option. You only have to look at the actual number of turbo'd, supercharged and ITB'd clios out there.

Anyway I'm lucky enough to have access to a number of cars of various states of tune, in what I percieve various classes bmws,seats, hondas etc.. and after driving them all actually prefered the Trophy, the only car that I really did consider buying was a new S3 but TBH I'm past the stage of having to have a brand new car on the drive every 2 years and having wasted a ridiculous amount of money in doing so can't see me doing it again soon.

So the dilema was what to do? I have a GSXR 750 track bike, a Triumph Speed Four road bike, a Vectra SRi Diesel for my work shed and a Mint condition low mileage Trophy.

To me it seemed like a no brainer rather than get rid of the Trophy and buy something else that had been used and abused I decided to just get some form of crazy tuning.

Admittedly my first choice was ITB's as spending the £5200+VAT for the stage 1 turbo conversion was unrealistic besides evryone knows 250bhp is about the fine line for a front wheel drive car. However I was also hankering after the SC conversions that everyone was talking about, but due to the sketchy info that was coming through and the ever increasing prices I decided against it.

Then just before before I orderd the ITB's ktec advertised there new Turbo kit.

I enquired about it and was offered the first customer kit I then drove all the way from Sunderland to Southampton on the condition of If liked it then I'd leave the Trophy there for the conversion. When I arrived and drove Seans car I was blown away by the difference it was genuinly night and day.

The rest you already know :)

I honestly can't think of another car that I'd want to replace the Trophy with It manages to retain all the qualities of a clio just with more grunt and urgency with the power delivery and it still retains a little bit of exclusitivity by being a Trophy. Some people will tell you that your gearbox will die a horrible death but I'm pretty sure your box on track will die well before mine.

So there we go a brief insight into the thought process before my purchase.

Steve

Ph1
Are these track / pointless modding a road car opinions all from folk who happen to live in the city? because i can tell you i use all my available ponys, you have to if you want to get from A to B past paddy wagons, caravan's and sunday driving tourists where i come from!
Its called reducing the TTTD (time taken to danger) or in over words overtaking.

Are these track / pointless modding a road car opinions all from folk who happen to live in the city? because i can tell you i use all my available ponys, you have to if you want to get from A to B past paddy wagons, caravan's and sunday driving tourists where i come from!
Its called reducing the TTTD (time taken to danger) or in over words overtaking.

for me personally i live on the edge of the town boundarys, ie if i turn right onto the DC theres lots of fields and small country roads, if i turn left theres just housing estates etc right until you hit town centre, so a mix for me tbh

@ stevieh, thats not a bad price for turbo conversion, is that a low pressure conversion then(std internals) ??

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
@ stevieh, thats not a bad price for turbo conversion, is that a low pressure conversion then(std internals) ??

Yes it is mate, it uses the same turbo (GT28R) as the high boost conversion and all the rest of the kit's capabale of running 300bhp if you want to upgrade the internals at a later date.

Steve