ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot big time rip off

Charged Superleggera
went to get my mot done yesterday morninig at what i thought was a good garage. got a phone call yeserday at about 4pm and the guy at the garage said that it failed. it needed the wheel arches to be secured because they were rubbing on the tyres because the car has been lowered- minor job. it also needed the rear brake light for the spoiler wired up which i cold have done on my own but couldnt be bothered. finally and importantly it needed an abs sensor. while he was on the phone to me i asked him how much the abs sensor will cost. he said "not much" he did not give me a price so i though that since he said "not much" then it cant cost that much. he said that the car will be ready today at 5. so i went to pick it up today and he gave me an invoice of £320.21. i coulnt beleive it and i got very angry because i knew he was trying to rip me off. my dad who gave me a lift to the garage also got angry at the price they wanted.

so i had a look at the work done on the invoice sheet which was aparantly 5 hours labour and the abs sensor apparently cost £106 and the mot cost was £56.

so i started negotiatig with him but i was getting no where so. i told him i am not paying for the work because he never told me a price before he done the work after all he said that it "wouldnt cost much" on te phone so i presumed that it would be no more than £120 for all the wok and mot. when i said that to him he gave in and said ok he will put everything back as it was and u can come back tomorrow to pick up your car. at this time there were customers in the garage office also waiting to pick up their cars so he was very polite. he got one of the mechanics to take us to the car outside and explain what was done. at this point i realised that he was just trying to keep us away so that the customers didnt hear the discussion. 5 mins later and he comes accross and accompanies us. his tone of voice changed and he got angry. now he said that he will take everything off and charge me £95. this was for the mot and now he wanted to charge us for the diagnostic test(about £41) he ran to find out what was wrong with the abs. i thought this was unfair because in the original £320.21 bill this was not included and he said that he will not charge me for it. so i dont know what to do because i did not ask for a diagnostic test and that he did not include it in the original bill which is a sighn that he does not usually charge for diagnostic and that he only done it to get back at us for telling him we will not pay for work we were not given a price for. if he said that it will cost £320.21 on teh phoen i would have told him not to do it and would have taken it to another garage. also find it hard to beleive an abs sensor costs £106. what should i do? any help will be appreciated guys.

172 ph2
£32 an hour labour isn't that excessive.... and I'd describe £106 as 'not much' in context of car parts and what it is.

Mondeo TDCI 130
An ABS sensor for the front of a 172 was no where near that last time we had one!

Really you should have said you wanted a proper quote! Shutting the door after the horse has bolted to be honest!

Charged Superleggera
i never asked him to do any work. i asked him to do an mot. he shouldnt have done any work without giving me a price for the work needed for the car to pas its mot. all the garages i have been to before phone me before doing any work on the car telling me what exactly needs to be done with an exact price. thats the main thing that i am not happy about mate

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You technically gave him the go ahead to do the work without first checking how much you would be charged, he told you "not much" and that your car would be ready at 5pm the next day and you agreed.

I'd say he's got a right to be a bit miffed with you for kicking up a fuss (in front of other customers as well) when all he did was exactly what you asked and authorised him to do.

To you, less than £120 is 'not much' and over £120 is 'too much', how is he to know that?

I'd say if he's only charging you for the MOT and diagnostic test you've got off lightly...so pay up and find someone else.

Charged Superleggera
merk i wouldnt do that but lol. markcup why have i been let off lightly. charging me for 5 hours labour and a car part that i was not told how much would cost seems heavy to me. its his fault and him and the mechanic aknowleged that but they were annoyed because they had to put everything back as it was, so now he wants to charge me for diagnostic.

You should have got a price for the work BEFORE you agree'd to let them do the work.

Folk always say things to me like, it's not that far etc. Sod that, I want to know how far it is in miles etc.

In your case you basically gave him the green light to do the work, because of this he has now stitiched you up.

Charged Superleggera
the garage was called kevin pirrie and son. its oposite matalan-avoid them if i were you. also he said that without the high level brake light it wouldnt pass the mot. and cat171 you are right these garges use vague terms to do you so next time i will get a price written down on paper before they even touch my car. i have learnt my lesson but never the less they shouldnt use your faith in them for their own ends. thanks for all the comments guys. keep them comming

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if i recall the high level brake light is not needed for an mot. cos its not fitted to all cars. even so like yours it might not be wiring up so it doesnt matter so you got to give the customer the benifit and just advise it

visualize whirled pe
I think if you have it it should work so you can chuck the spare in the garage before you take your car for an MOT and pass but will fail if you have a bald spare in the car. If you have lights they must be operational and the glass in one piece. My mate had a pug 205 gti as he rolled in to book his mot the mechanic said "that front fog is cracked so it'll fail, you could just remove both of them before you bring it in"

EDIT or the short version above lol.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
After all that I would'nt trust him to put the car back as it was.

If he's that pissed off he may be tempted to damage something .

Charged Superleggera
thats what i am worried about mate but before i take the car back i will give it a very close inspection and a good drive. if i notice anything wrong then its going right back to his garage.

Da

Less
Offer to pay him for the part and the MOT (£160~) and call it quits.

I don't think they'll want to, as Rory says, undo their work losing labour time once more.

Charged Superleggera
thats what i will probably do mate. it will be a lot cheaper for me as well. hope he agrees to it but i doubt it. plus i very much doubt that it was 5 hours labour to change an abs sensor and wire a brake light.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I was in that situataion, i'd pay the money and just avoid the place from now on.

No point in getting him to put it back, as you will be out of pocket after getting it repaired again.

Lesson learned imo.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if the lights there it prob has to work, like if a spare wheel is present it must be legal.

No test for a spare it doesnt have to be legal mine totally bold and been though 2 mots. yes the rear lights they have nothing to do with the high level one mate just the side postion light custors. also if it was the front fogs that were cracked there not part of the test

clio 1.2 16v dynamique
gutted for you mate as i cant afford to even put tyres on my car let alone pay hundreds of pounds in over priced garage bills.

and just to the guy that said that the car fog lamp was broken and it was an mot fail is wrong as mine has been broken for two years and always sails it as fog lights aint on an mot test just the rear ones

tiTTy & SV650
if the lights there it prob has to work, like if a spare wheel is present it must be legal.

No test for a spare it doesnt have to be legal mine totally bold and been though 2 mots. yes the rear lights they have nothing to do with the high level one mate just the side postion light custors. also if it was the front fogs that were cracked there not part of the test

pretty certain that its meant to be checked if there...

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member

pretty certain that its meant to be checked if there...

No ive checked today when i went on my MOT course they said as long as they have them at the side its fine, the high level one is classed as an accessory and doesnt count, how are you meant to know if its even wired up? you just have to advise it. same as the spare tyre you can only advise on it.

Charged Superleggera
yeh got the car back today guys. i didnt pay the £41 for the diagnostic so all i paid for was the mot at £52. he was wanting me to pay for the diagnostic but i just said no because i never asked for it in the first place and then he just shut up. got it booked in again at a guy on wednesday who said that he will only charge £30 for the work and he started laughing at what this guy was wanting(5 hours labour).

oh and the brake light is not needed to pass an mot because mines is still not working and it wasnt on the mot fail sheet.

RB 182 cup
5 hours does seem way to long for what you have said had been done, does sound like you have been ripped off

oh and the spare wheel can be as bald as u like for a mot as long as its secure. being a tester i get asked that all the time and also the brake light is a fail

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
lol thats funny, u said go ahead not knowing how much it would be lol FAIL! As for agruein infront of other customers in his garage, lol make it 10 times worse

172 Race Car
TBH i have to agree with Mark and Daniel,

I was sure the 3rd brake light was a fail.

Not done an mot test for 6 years or more so im probably wrong.

If there is a high level brake light fitted it has to work.

And why the hell wouldn't you connect it up anyway. Not doing it when you know its going for an MOT just because you 'couldn't be bothered' is just dumb and you get no sympathy

visualize whirled pe
TBH i have to agree with Mark and Daniel,

I was sure the 3rd brake light was a fail.

Not done an mot test for 6 years or more so im probably wrong.

Maybe things have tightend up these days, but I suppose it all depends on the garage and the tester, even though it should all be the same.
There was an MOT place I used to specifically take my cortina mk3 to, year on year there was about 10 things most garages would fail the car on that i couldn't afford to fix.. but they always let me off :)

A few years ago the mot tester in my local area failed a car I took to be tested; it failed on the wipers not clearing the windscreen 'effectivly', this was a 1960's morris minor, they are all like that, in-fact it had new blades, so I took it elsewhere and the guy passed it in less than 30 minutes!!!

The bit about broken lenses has been true most places I've been.

Charged Superleggera
it wasnt my fault that customers came in after me. plus i have the right to argue with him if i am not happy with his service. i mean charging me for 5 hours labour to change an abs sensor is "dumb" especially since i got qouted £30 today from a different garage. i wasnt born yesterday so when someone tries to rip me off like that i wont be happy. hollister when i fitted the spoiler i did wire it up but i got the terminals mixed up and blew a fuse so i just left it and though that i will just get it sorted at mot time. plus its not a failure on an mot if its not working. oh and i dont want ur sympathy.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yer £130 for an abd ring + 5hours labour is a bit cheeky, must be a mickey mouse garage

So what was the outcome of this ? Did the OP go back to the garage ? Did they pay up ?

- I haven't got time to read through from yesterday, sorry.