ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mot failure rear compensator 172 cup

Clio 172 cup
Hi all just had my 172 cup fail it's mot. Multiple reasons. But the most expensive part seems to be a failure of the rear compesator valve. They say that it's missing a spring? Does it have spring on the 172? They also say it's seized?

Clio 172 cup
One final point on this came this part seize on a cup? From what I have read it was preset at the factory therefore it would always appear seized. Quite annoyed right now geezer at the garage was quoting £350+ to change it, and when I rang him back questioning this tester opinion he got right stroppy with me

Clio 172 cup
Thanks mate, I'm gonna go a pick up my car in a while fix the other mot issues myself then take it to someone who knows what they are looking at

Clio 172 cup
OK so I showed the tester the download he said that he would be OK with that. However he has said that the arm should still move and I need to try and free it up? Should it move and to what effect would this have on the braking?

My car has also failed on parking brake efficency. I have no idea how to remedy this? any pointers? I don't quite understand what is wrong it holds the car on a hill and underload.

It should still move when the brake is pressed.
When the brake is pressed the lever should move down as the brake pressure pushes a little piston in the compensator, this moves out to reduce rear effort.
If the lever is seized it could either be in the down or up position if it is down it will reduce the rear effort even more.
There is a small return spring attaching the lever to the compensator (I'm not talking about the main bar and spring that definitely should NOT be there).

Clio 172 cup
Thanks for that bud. I'll try freeing it up/see if it moves when the brake pedal is pressed. If it doesn't then I'll have to bite the bullet and get a replacement. I think whilst I'm at it I'll strip the rest of the rear brake components see what else is up