ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failure

Clio 1.5dci
I was expecting a failure, what with my decat - which is why I took it in early, even slightly before it was due so I could get it all sorted it time.

I had the MOT done at a local garage, but I will get the repair, MOT and service booked in with rentech.

I wondered out of the following what people thought I could take care of myself.

1 - Nearside Front position lamp(s) not in good working order (function impaired)
2 - Offside Front position lamp(s) not in good working order (function impaired)
3 - Nearside Rear position lamp(s) adversely affected by the operation of another lamp
4 - Nearside Rear fog lamp adversely affect by the operation of another lamp
5 - Offside Headlamp aim too high
6 - Nearside Headlamp aim too low
7 - Brake cable has wires broken and is significantly weakened (handbrake)
8 - Rear Brake disc(s) excessively pitted
9 - Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive
10 - Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits
11 - Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

Advisories (i can probably ignore these...)

12 - Offside front seat belt slight fluffing or fraying
13 - Windscreen chip
14 - Front inside edge brake disc(s) slightly pitted
15 - Engine light on (probably decat emissions)
16 - Offside rear tyre slightly perished.

Cheers, Dan

182 Full of Fat
You must of took it to a really harsh MOT tester lol

Surely you can sort 1-8 (not sure how easy 1*2 handbrake cables are to sort but on most small cars they are quite an easy job) out quite easily yourself and 9-11 will be sorted by fitting you cat for the MOT.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Not much wrong with it, few bulbs/earths/alignment, new handbrake cable, rear brake discs, and change the cat. Sorted.

Clio 1.5dci
I'll see if I can see what's actually up with the lights, might be earthing with the rear?

I'll see if I can find guides for the brake cable and discs, and recommendations on what to buy.

Not sure how I'm supposed to level the lights.

I'm think i'm going to order a sports cat so I don't have to worry about finding a cat and switching the decat for each mot in the future.

:) I'm just glad they didn't impound the car as not safe to drive until I handed them wads of cash!

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Lol! I'd let the MOT level the lights for you, there's an adjustment on them. Brake cables you have to go to Renault for iirc, universal ones wont fit. If I was you I'd pop a PM over to West Renaults on here for a price on two rear discs with bearings and pads, and the handbrake cables.

Clio 1.5dci
Lol! I'd let the MOT level the lights for you, there's an adjustment on them. Brake cables you have to go to Renault for iirc, universal ones wont fit. If I was you I'd pop a PM over to West Renaults on here for a price on two rear discs with bearings and pads, and the handbrake cables.

Thanks!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
3 - Nearside Rear position lamp(s) adversely affected by the operation of another lamp

These could be the connection to the lamps, if water goes into them they start to rust and cause the lights to go bonkers when breaking/indicating etc, just file the rust down and spray Wd40 should do the trick..

Clio 1.5dci

These could be the connection to the lamps, if water goes into them they start to rust and cause the lights to go bonkers when breaking/indicating etc, just file the rust down and spray Wd40 should do the trick..

Cheers, I'll look into that