ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT question

Matt e

ClioSport Club Member
ive fitted a after market steering wheel and the serv and air bag light came on, my MOT is due this month and i was wondering if it would fail, as ive read they changed or changing the regulations on dash lights

i would put resistors in but i broke the wires when i pulled the steering wheel off lol

thanks

172 cup
If you take the top cover off the steering column (just pops off) you will see a black plug, take that off and put the resistors into there. I did the same with mine.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
this is not a fail, my car passed with this like 2 weeks ago, none of my seats are plugged in so my lights are on aswell. whoever told you it is a fail is full of it, apparently it will be a fail when the mot laws change, but i dont know if this is 100% true and im pretty sure the laws arent changing soon

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
it will be failable very soon, cannot remember the exact date, i dont take much notice of my emails from vosa, oppss

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Under present testing rules the SRS abd SERV light being on is not a valid reason to refuse the issue of an MOT Certificate. From January 2012 it will be and as above taking the lights out will not help you circumvent this ruling new either... infact it will hinder you even more as the light must not only come on but it must go out and stay out to pass. Really, MOT testers aren't as stupid as some of you think.

Be sure to fit the resistors well and insulate them correctly as poor condition and actual wiring will also be looked at under the new rules also. If you've broken the connectors you will have to disconnect the battery and have them soldered in place.

Mick

AFIK the airbag thing isn't actually happening yet. Try a different MOT station.

DSC_0320-1.jpg

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
According to the information we've had in from VOSA it is - Time will tell as there's a long way between now and January but its inevitable that SRS systems and component become part of the test eventually. I'm not sure about the 2yr testing law that they're considering as personally, I think 2yrs is too long to go between inspections as some people already struggle to keep silly things like tyres, brakes and suspension in safe working order.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Under present testing rules the SRS abd SERV light being on is not a valid reason to refuse the issue of an MOT Certificate. From January 2012 it will be and as above taking the lights out will not help you circumvent this ruling new either... infact it will hinder you even more as the light must not only come on but it must go out and stay out to pass. Really, MOT testers aren't as stupid as some of you think.

Be sure to fit the resistors well and insulate them correctly as poor condition and actual wiring will also be looked at under the new rules also. If you've broken the connectors you will have to disconnect the battery and have them soldered in place.

Mick
Surely people to this anyway? Altho im sure theres 1 or 2 running about with the resistors taped in place :rolleyes:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
LoL no - they shove the resistors into the connector and *sometimes* tape them in place.

Clio 172 Cup
I had the SERV and AIR BAG light on mine, they are NOT blubs you can just click out so I took the dash apart, took the clock panel out and instead of ripping the blubs out I just put black electric tape over the holes were the SERV and AIR BAG light is, job done! Took me just under an hour!