ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT - What's the damage!

350Z GT
Think this is the right section for this!
Either way have got a 2002 1.4 16v Clio which has got its MOT next week! It sailed through last year and since its had Exhaust, Brakes, Tyres all replaced so am sure they will be fine!

I know the driveshaft is making a knocking noise on full lock also when engine braking so I guess this is a fail, hoping I can escape with just it being the boot at fault! Also the windscreen washers do not work (noise when turned on but nothing comes out even when full of washer fluid). I personally don't have a clue about costs but what approx do we think the damage to my wallet will be for fixing the Driveshaft and Windscreen Washer.

Thanks

GTD, Lupo
Best bet would be to try and get it sorted before the MOT and then you will know a price. Not sure on the shaft but you can fix the washer prerry easy.

If the pump is making a noise then its either going to be a blockage or a break in the water line.

Run the washers and if the water level is dropping or a puddle is under the car you have a break in the line.

If not a blockage try and disconnect one of the water lones before the jets and see if it come out when the pump is run and if this is the case then the jets are blocked which can be cleared with a pin normally. If that fails try blowing back down the line and see if you can see bubbles in the water tanks.

Paul

Astra SRI/ Hornet
You been putting washing up liquid in ya water bottle? Lol that blocks them with sludge. Def sounds like a blockage. If the shaft is knocking it's knackard I'm afraid not sure on a price as never replaced 1 on a Clio I'd hazard a guess at 60 quid maybe. So washers free, drive shaft say 60 plus fitting plus 40 for MOT.

350Z GT
Thanks for the replies :) The shaft is knocking a goodun on full lock and when slowing down so think it's fubard! Been using normal watered down stuff for the washers, has been fine in my other cars! Am hoping it's just a blockage. Is all booked in for Tuesday, will post up how it gets on.
Has cost me so much recently! New exhaust system, new brakes, new tyres!! If it wasn't for the fact it gets almost 45mpg compared to 15-18 in the 350z i'd use that every day!

Renault Clio 1.6 RXE
I just had 2 new drive shafts and cv boots replaced on my rxe and they stung me for £380 at a local garage,

DMS

A thirsty 172
The washer pumps (there are 2) are about £15 - £20 each from a motor factors. Normally only one of them will have broken, but they both have to be working for the washer jets to function. They're a bit fiddly but not too difficult to do yourself if you need to replace them.
For the driveshaft, they're about £90 for a refurbished one IIRC, then you've either got to fit it yourself or pay a couple of hours labour.
Worst case scenario it shouldn't cost more than £200.

350Z GT
Thanks for the warnings! :) Hoping i don't get stung for £380.00. Will see how I do on Tuesday morning!
Thanks again!