ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Motorpoint 197's

White 197
Hi All,

Have just joined Cliosport following our purchase of a 197 in Nimbus Grey from Motorpoint in Newport. We should be collecting it during the 1st week of September.

Can anyone tell me how the cars differ at all, with the exception of the warranty. In particular I am trying to find out if the alarm/imobiliser is the same as a UK car. I'm told that the car has been imported from France, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was actually Cyprus/Malta.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
btw the warranty will still be the full uk renault one, you just have to call them and theyl honour it.

White 197
Hi Iain,

I tried renault in and around Renault. The only deal I could get was £13,500 for a Red 197 with white Speadlines. The car was registered on an 07 plate as a demo and had been run for a couple of thousand miles by the Sales Manager.

Burgandy 174 sport t
hhmmm I know from experience they were trying to throw 197's out the door at crazy prices, Maybe different down ur way!! Enjoy it!

browno

ClioSport Club Member
You should get the full 3 years as long as it's an EU car (motorpoint used to bring some in from Cyprus, which only got 2 years, being non-EU) - only difference is that it runs from date of manufacture, not registration... Our 182 was from motorpoint, and has just gone out of warranty - but have had no problem in getting stuff done on it...

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
You should get the full 3 years as long as it's an EU car (motorpoint used to bring some in from Cyprus, which only got 2 years, being non-EU) - only difference is that it runs from date of manufacture, not registration... Our 182 was from motorpoint, and has just gone out of warranty - but have had no problem in getting stuff done on it...

yeah the warranty will run from date of manufacture not registration. what i want to ask browno if you know is :
is it then the same for the MOT ?
i.e. should the MOT be due after 3 years from date of manufacture or date of registration ?

browno

ClioSport Club Member
According to the website here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112
When your vehicle needs testing If a vehicle is registered with no prior use on the road, the MOT will be required three years after the date of registration. For example, a vehicle registered ‘from new’ on 1 April 2004 will require its MOT no later than 1 April 2007.
If a vehicle is used prior to registration, as would be the case with an import, the MOT will be required three years from the end of the year of manufacture. For example a vehicle manufactured at any time in 2004 will require an MOT no later than 31 December 2007. There is no grace period given after these dates.

Although if they bother to check this, who knows - there must be loads of MG Rovers that were sitting in compounds for 12-18 months before being registered, but I can't see them having to trace the build date for each one to sort out the MOT dates...

Edit - re-reading the above, it says if the vehicle is used before registration, it'll be 3 years after manufacture - so even a parallel import will be 3 years from registration (well mine certainly says on the V5 that it was new at first registration) - guess this applies to cars that are used imports, but are under 3 years old...

clio III dyn s 106 hp
Not sure if your car will come with an alarm. These are fitted at cat uk as are the locking wheel nuts. The immobilizer is part of the car coming from the factory so that will be ok.

My 172 was from motorpoint and they fitted the alarm, it didnt work very well because when you drove off the doors auto lock which is a factory thing I like(which can be turned off) so when you leave the vehicle and arm the alarm it didnt take into account the auto lock and instead of locking the doors on arm it left them open which was very annoying.
Also, everything squeeked and rattled from day one, I know renaults rattle because of the p!ss build quality, but the alarm install made it worse id say.
My point? Dont get a non factory alarm.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
the imports are in theory worth less, but if you trade it in, then you dont have to tell the dealer, they should know - so there problem!!

Peddled device
I bought my 182 from Motorpoint,Burnley last year.It had a temperature sensor fault which caused the car to go 'limp'! I took it to Reno and it was sorted....no hassle.Motorpoint also gave a good trade in on my 172 Cup (£7300,Dec 03,14k) against the 182.

I bought my 182 from Motorpoint,Burnley last year.It had a temperature sensor fault which caused the car to go 'limp'!

Glad to see that after several years of investigation, Renault have finally managed to fix the temp sender wiring issue :rolleyes:

Enjoy the 197 BTW. Lovely cars :)

MTM

Volvo V60 R Design
Hi bought my nimbus 197 from Motorpoint because at the time (about May this year) none of the dealers could beat their price. You get a two years official Warranty from Motorpoint and then they throw in the extra year's warranty too, so as has been said three in total.

The cars come without an alarm but threaten to pull out of the deal having just realised this and they'll throw it in for free. You need to wait about 3 seconds (at least on mine) after you touch the handle (keyless entry) for the alarm to fully deactivate and then you're in. You also won't get locking nuts but I bought them from a dealer (just make sure you get the correct size). Tyre foam and full tool kit should be in the boot and front splitter should be fitted also.

Make sure they don't fill it with normal unleaded petrol (if you got that as part of the deal) as it's super unleaded only.

I'd buy from them again in a shot - very easy transaction although i had to pay a £300 deposit I think it was to ensure I'd hand in the relevant documentation relating to my trade in (private plate coming off etc)

Any questions just ask.

Martin

Motorpoint get their cars from all over the place, you need to be careful. They had a decidedly dodgy batch of Golf GTI's which had sat in a compound in the Dubai desert for 18 months before selling on an 07 plate. The cars were corroded and nearly out of the VW 2 yr warranty but were cheap and sold. You pays your money etc....

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
How can that work? I have a 206 that was bought brand new, the warranty runs till the 10th of this month, which is 3 years from the day I picked it up, not the day it was made...? But then it wasn't an import...

Dan