ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving into a new place... TV question

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Moving out for the first time... just got a standard aerial on my house at the moment. Noticed today that the block I'm moving to doesn't have aerials, it's all dishes. Now I've never had Sky and I don't want it now. What's my options? Freesat HD? I don't know much about it.

There's a funny looking wire coming out the wall lol, though I noticed a standard looking socket which has 'TV' labelled above it too, and to be honest it just looked like the aerial one I have here. If I go with Freesat HD or whatever, I'm presuming this is just like Freeview HD and there are no monthly costs etc. also does the TV I get need any specific requirements?

Clio200 EDC Lux
If the aerial in the flat looks like a standard aerial socket then it should be able to receive normal tv, if its coming from a dish it will have a threaded end as apposed to a push in type.
Looks like this:
f_connector_cable_250x250.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Yes it has two of those coming out.

However there is a separate socket on the wall that looks like this...

tv-aerial-rf-coax-wall-plate-40-p.jpg

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
that's a normal aerial socket (providing it is actually connected to an aerial of course!)
Have you never seen a tv aerial socket before?! that's worrying!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
There is probably just a big communal aerial somewhere..

Clio200 EDC Lux
U will need to get a male to male aerial lead to connect the socket to the tv as said hopefully it is connected to an aerial.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
that's a normal aerial socket (providing it is actually connected to an aerial of course!)
Have you never seen a tv aerial socket before?! that's worrying!

Of course I have :smile: I was just bemused by the fact there's no aerial on top of the house... I guess the obvious answer is just to plug in my TV and see what happens lol, but I haven't quite got to that stage yet.

Another complete n00b question for a first time mover outer! TV license, can I just apply for this online when I actually physically move in? (we have the keys, but no bed or sofa yet lol, so it's a gradual move in)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
you only need a tv license for watching live tv and you wont be watching it until you get there, so only need to apply when you are in.