ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mrk 1 or mrk 2 172 which looks the best

which one of the clio 172s do you think looks the best mrk 1 or mrk2

i like the mrk 1 best with its bulldog get out of my way face

the mrk 2 just looks like a namby pamby 1.2 district nurses car

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

MK1 front, with hid kit

Mk2 rear end

Mk2 dash

Toms ideal 172

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by saintbishop on 15 October 2003

This comment will just cause arguments. I take it you own a Mk1, and arent biased in anyway:D

Generally agree with what tom says. But was happy to have either. Just when i was buying xreg Mk1 172 were 10k and I paid 11.8K for and 02 reg which was 2years newer. Plus like the climate and xenons on the Mk2.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 15 October 2003

Mk1 front

Mk2 rear

Mk1 gear knob

Mk1 seats

Mk1 wheels

Yeah, I really wanted the coloured renaultsport stitching.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Mk1 can be very discreet if you de-badge it (my mate has) and not as obvious as the mk2

The Cup looks the best IMO.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Mk2.. i dislike the front of the mk1.. those lights.. i just prefure the mk2

mark 1 = styling of a JELLY MOULD, but is faster than a mk2, but not as fast as a cup, which is faster than a CTR only on mondays, thursdays, friday mornings, if driven on the twisties getting chased by a P1 Scoob who couldnt get the power down at the lights..........

just thought i would take this thread to its obvious conclusion.....:p

Quote: Originally posted by saintbishop on 15 October 2003

You just answered your own question. so just incase you cant figure it out here it is again.

mk1 - best

m2 - namby pamby

MK2 for me -

having seen the new stlye Clio I doubt I would get the next version - its been well and truely beaten with the ugly stick!

Could help resale prices on the current range tho.

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 15 October 2003

Just when i was buying xreg Mk1 172 were 10k and I paid 11.8K for and 02 reg which was 2years newer. Plus like the climate and xenons on the Mk2.
Exactly what happened to me, except the x reg (30k on the clock) was only 1 grand cheaper than my mk2 02 with 7k :)

And as for which is best.........................:sleep:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Mk2 everything except its weight which would be the same as mk1.

RE: what admits said, I walked out to my car last night after just cleaning it all up and though to myself im really lucky to own this car.. !

Im the opposite to you KDF I looked at my dirty car after getting home and thought why did I get this car! just after seeing a brand new black CTR on the back of the transporter heading towards some lucky punter.. test drive the weekend me thinks...

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 15 October 2003

Mk2 everything except its weight which would be the same as mk1.

RE: what admits said, I walked out to my car last night after just cleaning it all up and though to myself im really lucky to own this car.. !

Not too sure what I said, lol. But have agree when ive cleaned it, and take a step back, Im proud to own one. Pic momenthttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/Cliosport/Gallery/Full/1065996255__DSCF0013.jpg

But at the end of the day thats the point, as long as your happy with what youve got, the who cares.......

Mines looking especially shiny ready for the wigan bolton mini meet.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by adtmits on 15 October 2003

Mines looking especially shiny ready for the wigan bolton mini meet.
LOL

Same here mate! :D

Gonna be setting off soon, so look out for an 03 Cup as thats me...

Quote: Originally posted by 172gal on 15 October 2003

Got to be the MK2!! I mean the MK1 doesnt even have colour coded strips...
Weight saving......

Having given it great deliberation, and having reviewed pics of the MK1 and MK2, Ive decided that the MK2 is the more intimidating rear view mirror effect, but the MK1 is more easily distinguishable as a 172.

I definitely prefer the rear bumper on the mk2 and yes, I suppose the colour coded strips do look better, especially when you end up with polish smeared all over the black (now grey) strips.

When it comes down to it though, neither mk1 or mk2 are going to win any beauty contests...!

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 15 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by The Monk on 15 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 15 October 2003

MK1 front, with hid kit

Mk2 rear end

Mk2 dash

Cup blue

Monks ideal 172
Would have loved a MkII 172 in the cup blue. The best of both worlds IMHO.
:confused: Do you mean a MK1 in cup blue???

Mk1. The alloys are better. You can easily recognise it as a 172. Where as the the mk2s are harder to distinguish.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Biggy on 16 October 2003

Mk1. The alloys are better. You can easily recognise it as a 172. Where as the the mk2s are harder to distinguish.
Shame theyre only 15" though...

Cup alloys are best!

CTR EK9 turbo

had a choice to buy a mk.2 or mk.1 for same price, made my choice, bought a mk.1, solely because of looks - didnt know anything about weight etc... Each to their own.

Prefer the looks of mk.2s in photos/internet but prefer the looks of mk.1 in the flesh. Actually, i like both.

Cups definately the best looking out of the lot of them....

Quote: Originally posted by Simon172 on 16 October 2003
Cups definately the best looking out of the lot of them....
Definitely. You ever had a Cup following you? They look brilliant in the rear view mirror. Very "get the f**k outta my way".

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 16 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Biggy on 16 October 2003

Shame theyre only 15" though...

Cup alloys are best!
Ye if I was gonna have any alloys of the Clio range it would be the Cup ones, not the mk1, 16s look too small on the clio, 15s look silly.

Clio Trophy ,EFI'd 5GTT

i think that if everyone was honest they would have to say the cup is by far the nicest clio looks and drive the only thing i wish was the seats were the same as the 172 but who cares as the money u save with the cup u can buy better 1s

also the cup stands out from the rest .:cool: