ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MSVR Raceday Brands Hatch

Oil Burner
Decided to pop along to Brands Sunday afternoon for a bit of practice before the big events this season. Was awesome weather, i hope we have more of this to come and not snow and rain like last year!

Heres a handful, spent most of the day trying to perfect the paddock hill with cars in background shot.

(There were 2 fields of mainly 3 series BMW's so 1 or 2 may sneak into the photos)

492149411_JTAh8-L.jpg

492151607_XrxhQ-L.jpg

492152988_E82N6-L.jpg

492195373_fRvmi-L.jpg

Finally a non BMW race!
492200542_TRXpL-L.jpg

206 style car with optional Batman doors.
492163326_f2pCQ-L.jpg

492203885_V9Df7-L.jpg

492204159_D8D2P-L.jpg

Driver/Car of the day:
492184996_CPH4C-L.jpg

Had a very quick play with a Wide angle lense.
492188142_k3S4A-L.jpg

Had to do a few pans just to check i still could.
492208519_mCbt6-L.jpg

492235359_yMC5u-L.jpg

492239087_6VF2c-L.jpg

Few non racing shots:

492508216_KKt6k-L.jpg

492171505_GFkJG-L.jpg

More here: http://dunganick.smugmug.com/gallery/7610587_Xf26Q#492171505_GFkJG

Hope you like them, Was a nice day out in decent weather.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Good work with those dude, look nice and sharp to me! :) That Pug is possibly the strangest racecar I've seen, looks like it should be sponsored by the local barryboys! Like the shot of the marshalls too, good sense of the mood.

Staggeringly sharp, and it's amazing what the lack of a fence does to Paddock Hill shots, stunning.

I'm guessing the light helped, but imo these are some of your best pics. I always think March/April and Oct/Nov is the best time of year for motorsport photography...if the weather is kind.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
nice set, well caught on the audi loosing its tyre! contrast is spot on throughout.

Oil Burner
Cheers all, its getting more an more fun now im comfortable producing technically correct photos, so i can work on producing nice looking and technically correct photos.

Unfortunately the TT shelled car is just bottoming out down paddock.

However a Caterham did loose its rear wheel around druids, but i was too busy running to photograph that.

Im looking forward to the Truck meeting, as long as they can keep it on the black stuff and it doesnt snow. Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Anyone else going?

Im looking forward to the Truck meeting, as long as they can keep it on the black stuff and it doesnt snow. Friday, Saturday and Sunday! Anyone else going?

Very tempted but slightly worried about how much access there will be (understandably, considering the size/weight of the trucks) as I know most circuits put up extra fences or close areas off. Bit of an expensive long day to risk it. Any thoughts? Did you go last season?

Might wait till Thruxton as that's only a short drive.

Oil Burner
I didnt bother last year as it was supposed to snow (and it did) But i dont believe they close off any extra areas, Brands is already almost 100% catch fencing as it is. I will be there either way, sun rain or snow (lets hope sun).

I should be doing Thruxton too, altho it concerns me a little how fast and close that track is.

The camera is a 40d and Sigma 100-300 f4

Also done a blog entry now:

http://dunganick.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
  Fiat Coupe 20vt
Excellent set of shots Nick, unbelievably sharp.

Truck racing at Thruxton was good last year, they do put a lot of extra fencing up though to push the spectators back, good job too based on what i witnessed in qualifying:

IMG_3854.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

No injuries to anyone though.

Oil Burner
Looks nasty,

Ive actually clarified with brands the situation for media, and apparently we are not allowed out from behind the marshal catch fencing during the big trucks races, im a little disapointed as this will make my life difficult, but equally ive had a few near misses with cars/bikes already, the last thing i want is to get killed doing this, and the trucks certainly have the potential to do that.

As from a spectator point i wouldnt have thought they would move you back too much as brands spectator points are mainly elevated. But never underestimate the H+S bods at brands.

Maybe a CS photography meet is in order, there is a fairly big following of us shooting motorsport and im sure alot of members are at these events anyway.

Nick

Just watched some youtube videos and it looks like they fence off certain parts of the track but not others.

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'd certainly be there, with or without my camera! :) I know most of you are down South, but if you ever venture a bit further North I'd definitely find time to show up.

Maybe a CS photography meet is in order, there is a fairly big following of us shooting motorsport and im sure alot of members are at these events anyway.

Great idea, I tend to be at most of the BTCC, F3 etc at Oulton, Donington, Croft, Silverstone...

Split my weekend up one day marshalling, one day spectating and photographing :)

Oil Burner
I am planning currently to do:

BSB/BTCC all 2/3 days (probably camping) at Brands Hatch, Snetterton, Oulton, Thruxton maybe Cadwell

F3/gt if it doesn't clash with the above i will probably be doing Sunday.

The first one really will be BTCC at Brands on the 4/5/6th April. I will be there all weekend.

Nick

Ian

Focus TDCi
I'll probably try and make it to Oulton Park then. Could probably get a few from the NW to go as well. Should have finished all my exams by then. Do you go as a general spectator, or do you have special passes Nick?

Oil Burner
Im fortunate that im accredited Media on most of these days, friday and saturday are spent taking boring shots for clients.

I would still be at all the Snetterton and Brands races even if i was spectating, its great fun being there.

Nick