ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Multi tasking, killed my battery?

Finished work at 5.30pm yesterday, phone sits in a dock charging all day. 100%.

Used it a little last night, had TomTom on for 30 mins.

Woke up today, phone off. Started to charge it, switched it on to 2%.

My usage since last full charge was; Standby 11.30 hours; Usage 10.30 hours. So it switched off at 5am?

I assume something was running for the full 10 hours, could TomTom have?

Proper confused/worried tbh.

Thanks. I was never aware that apps actually ran in the background.

I'll have to remember to delete them from the miltitask list when I've finished with them.

Cheers Rob, appears you're spot on, just did a quick test after charging to 100%.

Untouched
Standby: 5mins
Usage: 0mins

Turned TomTom on (but returned to home screen for 5mins)
Standy: 10mins
Usage: 5mins

Turned TomTom OFF (Deleted off multitasking, left for 10mins)
Standy: 17mins
Usage: 7mins

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
There are some caveats to this (things I've noticed):

* If you haven't got a route currently planned, then it will disable the background GPS service when TomTom goes into the background.

* If you've arrived at your destination (i.e it's said, you have arrived) then it will automatically disable the background GPS service.

* If you haven't moved for a period of time, but have a route planned and the app is in the background then the background GPS service will be disabled and you are notified via a local notification.

It tries to be as intelligent as possible, i.e it'll only use the background location service if you're currently on a route.

These features have been programmed in by TomTom so other nav solutions may not operate in this way.

You can tell if the background GPS service is running by the little arrow next to the battery icon.