ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.4 litre toy

Renault Clio 1.4
Right here goes...

In February, i bought myself a Renault Clio 1.4 Dynamique 16v+ for £800 at the auction
It was completely bog standard but was in very good nic, few scratches here and there but nothing to worry about.

Mechanically, it's not perfect, i've fitted new ignition coils, spark plugs and a new rear passenger side shock. Still a few things needed to be done, the engine judders on tick-over which could be the cambelt timing out by a notch (new cambelt fitted 2000 miles ago, so could be the case) It also struggles to start when the engine is warm, again any suggestions?

So onto the modifying, i'm still in 6th form, so my funds are limited so i haven't done anything too major yet, but i think it looks decent.

What i've done so far:
Sprayed my dynamique alloys matte black
Painted alloys bright red
Blue fade in sun strip
started colour coding
Mud Flaps (rear)

P4280242.jpg

P4280240-1.jpg

P4280244.jpg

P4280243.jpg

P4280241.jpg

P4280239.jpg

P4280238.jpg

P4280237.jpg

Plans:
K&N Air Filter
New exhaust??
Finish Colour Coding
New Head Unit
Component speakers
Sub & Amp
Lowered??

Reasons for question marks-advise needed:

Is it possible to fit a new bigger exhaust without taking a hole out of the rear bumper, i wouldn't mind doing this but when it comes to selling it a large pipe may decrease the value, as might a hole in the rear bumper

Secondly, lowering springs are obviously stiffer than normal springs, and i live in a very rural area and basically every journey i will make will include country roads, and won't be ideal with a rock hard ride. I will also be going on quite a few longish journeys, are lowering springs really thats stiff or are they bareable?

Any advise is more than welcome

Will be uploading more pics in a week or 2

enjoy...

I like that minus some minor little bits. As for exhaust id go for a stealth if it was me.

As for lowering that would depend on what springs you buy eibach sportlines are meant to improve handling but still keep the ride comfy.

Id get rid of the strip across the window, aerial and mud flaps but it's your car so do what you think looks good. Id also get some silvervision indicators and clear side repeaters and flat blade wipers.

Like i said only minor little bits.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
looks nice and tidy, nott keen on the r mudgaurds tbh... but other than that its bang on. i would have a cack at colour coding the spoiler to would look alot better.. then a few of your mods listed would fionish it of nicely

Renault Clio 1.4
I'll have a play tomorrow see what looks best, now thinking about it, it does look a bit tacky. I think lowering is a must as is colour-coding need to get it running properly first though
Thanks for your advise

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Lower it, lose the flaps, and clear side repeaters or smoked and leave it at that.

Vivaro van
Looks tidy, I got the same model and lowered it on k tec -35mm springs and it looks ok not to low that its not practical but low enough and the ride isnt to hard it is comfy, and got a k tec stealth exhaust that you dont see from the back so no cutting needed. I had the same problem with mine not starting when its hot and it was the tdc censor, a comon problem on thease, renault will charge around £60 for this but gsf do one for £20, hope this helps you

Renault Clio 1.4
How much did you get the ktec exhaust and springs from?
Yeh i've heard that the tdc often goes on these, i took it out and gave it a clean, but still slow to start when it's warm.
Getting the cambelt timing looked at on monday so hopefully that might stop the engine wobbling about in the mounts.
Cheers guys

Jap Box
Looks decent enough, the sunstrip looks abit odd though as its light blue, mudflaps dont look too bad and they might actually serve you a purpose seeing as you live in the countryside if your roads are as bad as mine with farmers leaving trails of s**t everywhere when they go from field to field.

Id colour code it first, clear side repeaters, new aerial, lower slightly then work on the ICE :)

Vivaro van
The springs were about £150 fitted iirc at k tec and i fitted the exhaust myself and that was about £250, both tease make a big difference and are worth doin imo, its worth having the timing checked for peace of mind

Titanium 182
making some good progress there and looks like your going down the right route as for mods, with regards to your juddering on idle and difficulty to start when warm does it struggle to idle for abit then pick up once you rev it? i'd check the throttle motor as the 1.4 16v engines suffer from them blocking its just a case of removing it and cleaning all the black dirt out and then getting the engine adaptive's erased and then it should be all good again

Titanium 182
Think of the injection computer like your trip mpg display if you dont reset it for a long time the mpg will stay the same despite how you drive for a long time but when you reset it the mpg almost constantly changes, so erasing the engine adaptives in the injection computer it will make the changes needed as there will be a lot more air getting into your engine which will mean it will run properly hope that helped keep us posted on your results

Renault Clio 1.4
First of all, apologies for the lack of updrates...largely due to a lack of time and funds due to bloody A Level exams.
But, i'm back...and with a sizely change. I've finally finished colour coding my front and rear bumpers, and i reckon they look pretty good.
In terms of short term objectives, i will be blackening my badges, spraying the interior dash strips, and new front lights. Long term objectives are lovering which is a MUST.

Here are some pictures of the process. If anyone wants a guide i am happy to write one on this thread.

P1010249.jpg

P1010250.jpg

P1010251.jpg

P1010252.jpg

P1010252.jpg

Then it was time for a clean to remove all the dirt from the tape, dust, and some patches of overspray.

P1010254.jpg

P1010255.jpg

P1010257.jpg

P1010258.jpg

Thats it so far, hopefully another update will follow shortly after i've done a few more bits and bobs

Renault Clio 1.4
I done that with the door strips but i couldn't find a way to remove the front or rear bumper strip, so i just decided to save myself time and hassle, but i' am very pleased with how they've come out

Renault Clio 1.4
Yeh i've binned the sun strip...and yes i sanded them down before the whole process and after priming them. Obviously they won't have the same texture being painted on plastic rather than metal

Renault Clio 1.4
I'm personally really chuffed with how they look...i do agree though that the spoiler looks a bit rank, i was debating carbon wrapping it but i'm not sure if that would make it look chavvy?

MK3 GTI golf 16v
colour code it else it will look naff tbh. howcome the paint came out slightly off ? looks alright though

Clio Extreme 1.2
Nice. What auction house did you pick that up from? Did you go along with someone to help?

Suzuki Jimny
What did you use to clean the car? I can see some sort of stick in the black bucket...

Renault Clio 1.4
In reply to woody, i went to the East Anglian motor auction in Wymondham, and yeh my uncle came with me who's a car dealer and a bit of an expert. Matt-Yes it's a car washing brush with a half snapped handle. And J45- i'm definately considering clear side repeaters, i can see where you're coming from with the amber ones. Your megane splitter does look very nice...really finishes your car off mate-looks really good.