ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my 172 :)

Megane r26
After 6 months of ownership an mods i thought i would start a little thread ;)

Well where do i start..... Basically since day one i've always had french cars starting with a 1.1 saxo then onto a vtr an now a 172. I had the vtr for 3 years an decided it was time for a change due to bordom an the fact i want a little more performance :cool:. I was always a fan of the clio sport an had drove a few in the past an a few mates had owned them so i knew they were half decent an capable little motors.

The old vtr
Photo0244.jpg

The clio after collection an its first clean.
myclio.jpg

So the search began for a nice little sport. I was orignally looking for a 182 or a 172 cup as new as possible with around 50-60k miles with a decent history. As a mechanic by trade an after working for stratstone motor group i had a few sales contacts so i got onto an old pal who sourced me a 2002 172 one lady owner full history with 37k 12 months mot an 12 months tax an warrenty (which only covers certain items now due to me not being able to resist mods) so soon as i heard that i purchased her without a test drive or properly seeing it (some may say i'm mad).

100_2248.jpg

First mod was some nice plain number plates an a 3/4 front plate as in my opinion tidys the front up a treat. An of course a good clean an clay bar session :cool:

100_2244.jpg

100_2242.jpg

100_2250.jpg

I was very pleased with the outcome even if it did take me best part of 8hours but i am abit of a cleaning ***** :rasp:

Then i just enjoyed the car attended a few cs meets :) until i decided to chuck some coilovers on her to give it abit better stance an improve the all important already awesome handling :cool:

The Rear
clio88.jpg

clio10.jpg

The front
clio980.jpg

clio7.jpg

The results
clio6.jpg

100_2588.jpg

I wend for gaz adjustable set-up as from my personal experience i rate um. It was a bit of a mad rush to get them on as they came on a thursday an i was going away for the weekend on the friday to modified nationals so after some grub i spent a few hours that evening fitting them, setting them up an giving the calipers a bit of paint :D. Now they have had a good few weeks to settle i'm gonna raise the rear slightly fit me new front tyres an o/s driveshaft an change gearbox oil an take it for 4 wheel allignment on saturday.

Then while washing it i noticed the passenger headlight washer jet was damaged so after a quick call to a friend who happens to work at renault i had a new one delivered an set about changing it :cool:

The said jet
100_2874.jpg

The new jet
100_2875.jpg

The bumper removed
100_2877.jpg

100_2876.jpg

100_2878.jpg

Now all repaired an back to normal :cool:. Furture plans are to get a pal to refurb an powder coat my wheels not sure what colour or finish yet an then concentrate on handling so poly bushes, whiteline rear arb an some strut braces ;) I'm going for an oem look tbh as i love the look of the standard car. Performance wise goning to be looking at a yozza race system as i have heard many good things an then hopefully itb's in the near furture but i will hopefully keep this up to date an intreresting for you guys :D

TTRS & V50
Snap ;) Good choice on mods too.

Just out of interest how much was the washer jet ?

Edit; S**t a brick, i've just noticed, did you used to work in Daventry at Volvo as training ? Remember spotting your VTR about 3 years ago and posting it on SAX-P. Small world.

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Your VTR looks ace mate! Best colour for them too imo :D

Plans sound good for the clio

Megane r26
Snap ;) Good choice on mods too.

Just out of interest how much was the washer jet ?

Edit; S**t a brick, i've just noticed, did you used to work in Daventry at Volvo as training ? Remember spotting your VTR about 3 years ago and posting it on SAX-P. Small world.

yes mate i did my apprentiship with volvo so i used to have to go on block release to daventry.

Megane r26
Your VTR looks ace mate! Best colour for them too imo :D

Plans sound good for the clio

yeah the vtr was nice an was tasteful in my opinion compared to some an that too started as a standard car. I lowered it all with poly bushes an then fitted a lightend an balanced flywheel an pulleys an bmc induction kit an full stainless abp/magnex exhaust with decat an 4-2-1 manifold. I'm lucky really being a mechanic because i cut out the labour tasks plus i have a few mates with there own tuning outfit so tips an hints from them help.

Looks like your car was a good find. Mods look/sound good so far.

Yeah i weren't to concerned bout age as had a good history an low mileage an a nice blank canvas :cool:

Megane r26
Well got home an found a nice little package on me front lawn today!

100_2879.jpg

100_2880.jpg

also picked this beauty up on the way home from work.

100_2881.jpg

Gonna fit driveshaft tonight as well as raise the rear slightly now its settled an the fit my tyres tommorow an then take it for 4 wheel alignment in the afternoon so plenty more pics to come so watch this space ;)

Megane r26
Very nice 172 mate, Looks like you got a nice clean example there !

Mark

Cheers mate thanks

Well cracked onto tonight an popped the driveshaft on nice little job tbh heres a picture of the old fucked item.

100_2882.jpg

I was gonna replace the boot with a universal one at first but after lookin there isn't much clearence between the current boot an engine block so would have soon bin ripped off! Ended up getting this one from local motor factors for 120+vat as the renault part was superceeded so ended up being 191 inc vat an that was at cost. Did have a slight incident tonight though when jacking up the jack decided to slip denting the floor under drivers seat slightly but was soon repaired an you'd never tell now :D.

Its already for me to fit tyres in the morning then off for 4 wheel allignment so watch this space!

Megane r26
Nice work.

Any more pictures of the STI Type R? Looks great!

Cheers dude. I got a few more pics somewhere need digging out though. Yeah was a clean example i did quite a bit of work on the beast i fitted a FMIC, removed the aircon an did exhaust an few other bits an bobs was really clean car tbh remapped was about 344hp he's jus got rid for a bug eye sti 300 recently though.

Anyway just got back for ets performance centre where i had my wheel allignment done so all inspec now was very tight gettin the machinary on thank god for plastic wings :cool:

cliowheel.jpg

Cheeky pic of it on the ramp all rigged up. Proberly won't be too many mods now till next month cause the recent little lot has touched nearly 300 quid :rasp:

Megane r26
Well chaps a bit of an update here bin a bit lazy tbh but oh well :rasp:. Well first off i gave the 172 a quick service changed the oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter an pollen filter. All genuine bits which i brought from northwest performance an used millers 5/40 oil. Heres a few pics.

Inlet Off
103_0169-1.jpg

103_0170.jpg

Back together
103_0173.jpg

Up on Stands
103_0174.jpg

Draining the oil
103_0175.jpg

Also brought myself a new exhaust. I really wanted a yozza but jus couldnt get hold of one so went for one off the Oreca GRP N systems with decat which ktec are now seeling. First impressions is that it has bin made very well an has a nice raspy note! Looks identical to an omp inox.

The system
103_0182.jpg

103_0183.jpg

Fitting it!
103_0187.jpg

103_0193.jpg

The old cat!
103_0188.jpg

The system ready to go on!
103_0191.jpg

Replaced all gaskets an fittings for ease tbh an incase anything was snapped. Had to drop the rear axle so we could fit the rear box.

103_0194.jpg

An there we have it chaps nothing mega interesting but hopefully soon be a few more interesting updates.

Disastra Coupe
Looks good pal. Is it me or does the exhaust poke out too far?

Your Saxo looked very nice, shame Andy ruined it with them crappy wheels.

Clio 172
Is this fisher off saxp? we both had wicked red sax's now both have silver 172's - good taste. Looks good matey

How are the Gaz's?

Megane r26
Looks good pal. Is it me or does the exhaust poke out too far?

Your Saxo looked very nice, shame Andy ruined it with them crappy wheels.

Yeah its got abit of poke! Not as much as that pic cause its bin adjusted since then but tbh i'm a fan of it :) Yh I loved that little saxo cost me a fortune over the years god knows where it is now days.

Is this fisher off saxp? we both had wicked red sax's now both have silver 172's - good taste. Looks good matey

How are the Gaz's?

Nah i was smearsvtr off sax p. Yh the gaz coilovers are good tbh dude they seem to get mixed reviews but atm i cant fault um plus there british built so any probs an there easily resolved

Clio 172
It's not Fisher if you're thinking the 'euro' one on Minilites.

Yeah its got abit of poke! Not as much as that pic cause its bin adjusted since then but tbh i'm a fan of it :) Yh I loved that little saxo cost me a fortune over the years god knows where it is now days.

Nah i was smearsvtr off sax p. Yh the gaz coilovers are good tbh dude they seem to get mixed reviews but atm i cant fault um plus there british built so any probs an there easily resolved

Ahhh.

the sax looked good dude.

Do you think coilovers ae much better than a shock and spring setup? Mine handles well tbh with oe dampers and sportlines, but no matter you always want to tweak .Yeah ive read the mixed reviews and its putting me off in all honesty. Ive never had coilovers so still looking into it

Megane r26
Ahhh.

the sax looked good dude.

Do you think coilovers ae much better than a shock and spring setup? Mine handles well tbh with oe dampers and sportlines, but no matter you always want to tweak .Yeah ive read the mixed reviews and its putting me off in all honesty. Ive never had coilovers so still looking into it

Yh i've heard sporlines are ment to be good but i jus wanted to have the advantage of being able to play with me ride height an dampening. I have alot to do with the ford scene an gaz seems to be well known with them boys so i bit the bullet an so far so good. I mean they got warrentee an even if i had to pay for a rebuilt at some point they only charged me mate 90 quid to do both fronts an they were returned within the week

Megane r26
Well over the past six months the car has had a few changes but with working shifts an in the process of moving out with the missus I haven't had much chance to keep you guys updated so heres a few little piccies of how it stands.

181761_502006063862_504538862_6266690_1467521_n.jpg

168046_502004848862_504538862_6266675_4261974_n.jpg

189868_10150133317144659_514144658_6423751_7805764_n.jpg

I've changed the wheels for a set of gun metal team dynamics pro race 1.2's an also gone down to 15" running a 195/45/15 yokohama parada spec 2's an its now running a full set of vibratechnics engine mounts. Currently moving out an not long took a promotion at work so theres alot more to come soon folks an hopefully a nice engine build this side of christmas. :)

Megane r26
yeah i popped up there to meet some pals that live local to there, not a massive fan of the place really, bit of a attraction for numptys but its not a bad drive from me.

Disastra Coupe
yeah i popped up there to meet some pals that live local to there, not a massive fan of the place really, bit of a attraction for numptys but its not a bad drive from me.

I thought so lol. I was parked about 2 car's away from you in my Flamer... And i know what you mean. That's first time i've been in about a year. But i was sat at home, nothing to do and then some mate's asked if i fancied the trip. Better than sitting at home on the laptop lol.

Car looked smart :)