ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My '99 R6 Winter rebuild

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Decided to crack on with this project now.
Had my R6 Since April this year, first bike on the road at 20, been loving it :)
Since buying it I've done a full service, plugs, oil, filters, chain, sprockets, 2 new tyres, EBC brake pads, new battery and a few carbon fibre bits.
Been running sweet since. But with the cold weather drawing in, Tax and MOT expiring, I thought it was a good time to get it off the road and do some bits!
Planning on forks and rear shock being rebuilt, respray the frame black, new oil and filter again, coolant change, loads of new bolts/screws/fittings full respray, wheel colour change, more carbon fibre bits.
Anyways, how it used to look. Had a custom respray a few years back, used to be red/white.
IMG_0719.gif

IMG_0718.gif

So today I began to strip it down. All plastics off, tank off and drained. Need to get a front paddock stand so the wheels can come off, and then the rest of the stuff can come off.
Bit of a learning curve for me, but considering the UK has a long winter I've got plenty of time! Think I'll need to invest in a heater for the garage though.
Anyways, a couple of stripped pics.
1.gif

2.gif

3.gif

5.gif

6.gif

7.gif

Any opinions on colours would be cool, was thinking white with white wheels, but open to ideas.
Hopefully I'll keep this updated as a bit of a project thread.
Enjoy!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Haha, I've not used it for ages now, awesome bike.
Make me an offer ;)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Lefty's suck in my opinion!
The cannondale is just a cheap 'road' bike I use for work sometimes etc, its comfy and light.
The orange Kona in the background is my abuse bike which is also in bits, need to strip it down and rebuild that, thats another winter project!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Bit more work today:

10.gif

9.gif

Safety first!

12.gif

13.gif

Stripped the rest of the front off, ready for the wheel off and the forks out. Rear wheel came off along with a few other small bits around the bike.

Loving the look of this for something to aim for. Maybe not the graphics, but liking the colour scheme of the whole thing in general.

2004-r6.gif

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thanks.

I'll be having some subtle custom graphics made up for mine, nothing over the top but just to make it individual to me.
Got my eyes on a new exhaust as well if I can get it to fit, should hopefully look pretty good and something different. to the norm.

Just on the lookout for somewhere that will powder coat a fair few bits for me on the cheap.

106 GTI
Id say more white than that to help it look clean

Do you carry any pillions? would looks sweet with the rear footsets removed

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Powey, yeah I think they may be coming off. Depends on my final exhaust choice though, as might need to use the RHS one as mounting point for the bracket.

If it isnt needed for that they will be coming off, I don;t like taking pillions, makes such a difference to speed and a lot of responsibility to take, especially when most people haven't a clue how to react on the back of a bike.

More white?
Frame will be staying black as I'm not taking the engine out to respray that. Forks need powdercoating either way, but with dead fliues etc black would be easier. And wheels black I think as easy to keep clean?

106 GTI
More white as in an arctic white or thereabouts as opposed to the old english color of that one being more creamy.

If you do have to use the RHS you could grind off the peg and holder and make it just a pure bracket.

Black would be easier to keep clean but I think a nice gunmetal would be even better , IMO :)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Ah right, i thought you meant more bits being painted white!
It will be a proper bright fresh white.

Yeah, or I'll just make a new bracket that suits a bit better.

Gunmetal.....hmm never thought about that, but was thinking black would tie in with the carbon bits more....I dunno, I'll probably change my mind a million times between finishing it!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thought I should revive this now I've decided to crack back on with it!

Just buying a few tools to help with the job then I will be going at it full pelt.

Wheels will be off for powdercoating (black)
Few bits and bobs probably going off for powdercoating too.
New headset bearings
Wheel bearings aswell I think
Respray the frame in the bits that need touching up
Soem new nuts/bolts

Then hopefully that will be everything that NEEDS doing. Then I'll move on to the fairing respray, more shiny carbon fibre bits and anything else that would be cool!

Still thinking of going along the same lines as the white one I poosted before, but without as many fussy graphics.....unless anyone has a better idea?!

Titanium 182
Not really into bikes but this looks good fun/cool :) I have an old trialsbike in the shed that doesn't run properly, cost me £75 and a bottle of JD years ago. If I had space I wouldn't mind stripping that down :rasp:

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Needs some USDs!

Too much money and effort for no huge gain I don't think.
Rather spend that money on beer and prostitutes!

Should hopefully have the wheels and forks off to be sprayed this week.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Forks off today, along with footsets, front wheel etc and a few other bits and bobs that will be replaced/powdercoated/sprayed.

Need to get the tyres off and bearings out of the wheels so they can be done. Was going to replace the head bearings but I've been sent the wrong ones :(

Image0050.gif

Image0051.gif

Image0052.gif

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Been a long time since I updated this!

I've fitted the new head bearings in the bike so another job sorted.
Had the lower forks resprayed in black.
All my bits will be powder coated this coming week hopefully.

Need to decide on graphics, once I do they fairings will be dropped off to the bodyshop.
Once my wheels are back they will get new bearings fitted.

Managed to get this bargain off ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110485799212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT ), £400+ worth of carbon there! And I'll be selling on the rear hugger and chain guard as I already have them in carbon, which will net me £80ish back.
and that money will go towards my new rear sets that I will be buying on Thurs :D (see link below).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140374516038&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

So all in all things are moving along nicely, with some nice bits :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Big updates today!
Rearsets were 100% right, I was just being retarded in fitting them, they look awesome once on!
Anyways, got the wheels back with new bearings and my tyres, so refitted them. fitted my Titanium Akrapovic, had a bit of a tweak about on it. Got my tank from the bodyshop so I could run the bike. First time it's been run in 5 months and it started straight away!
Exhaust isn't as quiet as I hoped to be honest, but sounds awesome! Some nice flames/pops coming from it!!

Some pics and vids from earlier:

SAM_0065.gif

SAM_0064.gif

SAM_0068.gif

SAM_0069.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x53iM9utHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl6mrCPpKSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDM-6hpyEDo

Just needs braided lines fitting and bleeding, full check and lots of loctite, then fit the resprayed fairings when they're done and job's finished :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Last vid is still processing, check back in a bit as it's the best video!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Haha cheers, not used it in a while though, its all dusty!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Big update today! Got the fairings back from the bodyshop.
Not all finished, a bit pissed off about it, but need to get the MOT done so will sort that out after.

Just bought a plain black seat and a full bolt set off ebay too.

I'll let the pictures tell the story:

SAM_0127.gif

SAM_0130.gif

SAM_0131.gif

SAM_0134.gif

SAM_0136.gif

SAM_0138.gif

SAM_0140.gif

SAM_0141.gif

SAM_0142.gif

SAM_0150.gif

SAM_0157.gif