ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My belts seem to have slipped? (North east)

Lastnight whilst driving decided to give it abit of foot down action but nothing to strenuous or taking it anywhere near the limiter i heard a 'snap' noise, so pulled over and took a look under the bonnet and couldnt see anything wrong, both belts are still there.

Continued to drive it home when i noticed it when i reved it or blipped the throttle to 4-5k it didnt sound the same, almost very quiet and sounded tired out( revy engine noise from the engine had disapeared? the car will still drive and move just thers not much power at all and rebing it the engine seems very quiet as if thers no compression?

I had the belts done at 82k last aprill and now the cars on 94k? would it be possible my belts have slipped as it still runs just very low power and not revvy at all?

Any help would be great as i need it fixed and i fear the worse!

well all upontill lastnight everything was fine pulled exceptionally strong, just a snapping cracking noise then hardly any power, it does rev still but when you rev thers no noise behind it, seems very quiet.

when i went to rs tuning on the 16th just gone, it was custom mapped and running stronger and alot healthier, pulled to 170hp/160lbs/ft before mapping, so timing was right and car was right.

so im just thinking with my symptoms, does this sound like a belt slip as it runs still, just hardly any power and doesnt sound loud or rev loud?

if the belts have slipped, would that be upto the perso who fitted them, or is belt slippage just one of things?

Yeah cheers Jordan, i think my first port of call is to get the timing checked out and get it tmed back up, fingers crossed its not bent any valves or done any damage, my only problem is i dearnt drive it just incase i cause any further damage if there is any.

Whats the cause of belts slipping so i can look into it and prevent it from happening again? and whats the going price if you know of checking timing and to have it re timed

If the bottom (crank) bolt wasnt replaced when the cambelt was done it could have done, if thats the case it will need a new crank bolt...

Im going upto Bishop Auckland one evening this week I think to pick something up, how far are you from there? I can call and check it for you if its not too far

Im not sure if it was replaced, i can check my invoice from nw performance and see what work i had done there but i know i had cambelt done, il ring them up too see if it was replaced if needs be.

if i buy a new crank bolt will i have to buy a new cambelt kit whilst im at it as im on a tight budget, or would i be able to just buy the bolt seperatley as the belts are fairly new.

im about 45 mins away, durham is only down the road from where im at, im based in hartlepool TS25, id cover your fuel to get to mine from Bishop Auckland, and some money towards checking and timing it up for me, really appriciate it :)

Pete

Timing was bang on this evening, absolutely perfect.

Car seemed to run fine, then the issue randomly started (seems like a missfire, but not spark related). Its like an injector is being unplugged, then all of a sudden everything goes back normal again. Very weird!

Lionel Richie
could be a knackered dephaser, knackered injector, knackered lambda, knackered HT lead, without seeing the car its impossible to diagnose

It runs sweet, no bad noises, revs up great when its being 'normal' and really smooth. Just as it should... and as it did when Paul mapped it to 175bhp/162lbft not long ago)...

Randomly the problem will pop up, and then goes again minutes later after revving it a bit. The problem can be replicated by unplugging one of the injectors whilst running, so I'd say it was that..... As its not like a full on missfire, its just a very slight change in running note/noise and just appears to have no 'pick up' when the throttle pedal is pressed - just boggy/sluggish.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Any updates on this Lindley?

could be a lot of things mate does it still pull well???

^^^^thats your problem i would say

Be very carefull slandering businesses like that without actual proof - I'm nothing to do with NWP but its saying things like that which can kill a small business and also puts off other customers which isn't fair especially as it turns out their work on the timing belt wasn't the problem!

I've had a couple of Sports in with missfiring issues that were down to faulty injectors. Do you have a scope to hand in your toolkit F0xy? Would be handy to confirm/deny it's not the wiring/ECM at fault. They always seem to break on the joint with the loom connector giving a poor connection - ECP sell them pretty cheap.

Any updates on this Lindley?

Be very carefull slandering businesses like that without actual proof - I'm nothing to do with NWP but its saying things like that which can kill a small business and also puts off other customers which isn't fair especially as it turns out their work on the timing belt wasn't the problem!

I've had a couple of Sports in with missfiring issues that were down to faulty injectors. Do you have a scope to hand in your toolkit F0xy? Would be handy to confirm/deny it's not the wiring/ECM at fault. They always seem to break on the joint with the loom connector giving a poor connection - ECP sell them pretty cheap.

Unfortunately not, but yeah it would be handy for other things ago.. When it started 'missfiring' I unplugged each injector in turn, after I had done all four it was back to running normal, which I guess is down to the connector (which would explain the intermittent behavior) or the injector itself...