ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My brothers first car mk2 ph1

My brother has his driving test soon so my mums given him the family 1.2 Clio. Its the car I drove for a year when I first passed my test and its been my mums since new.

Anyway we thought we'd do a few small mods to it. Just the usual stuff such as alloys, lowering, exhaust & ik and then sort the radio out.

We fitted the 172 alloys off my valver today and it makes a massive difference from the steelies & hubcaps

cliostock2.gif

cliostock.gif

Anyway lowering is the next job. I have a spare pair of -70mm valver springs. Will these fit the 1.2 struts and if so how much will they lower it by?

We want it to be this low

cliolow2.gif

cliolow.gif

I reckon it should look pretty cool for a first car and its got to handle better than stock.

BTW the wheels are just on there to check they fitted in the pics. When we fit them properly they'll be on the right way round and the F1s will be on the front.

Matt

RS Meg 175
Yh should look tight mate, but i dont think those valver springs will be correct tbh but im sure some one will tell you for sure :p

Colour code and get a ph2 rear bumper thats what i did :D makes a massive difference.

Monaco Blue Mk2
lol, was gonna say your tyres are on the wrong way. That needs lowering very quickly! I don't think I've ever seen a clio look that high on 15's, looks like it's still jacked up!!

The valver springs wont work...for a start there will only be 2 springs and you need 4. Best bet is Apex -60mm spings, with the shocks aswel if possible. If you want it lower than that/have the money for it coilovers will allow you to go lower and improve handling more and ride quality.

Yep colour coding will be done on the sidestrips, bumper plastic bits and door handles and maybe mirrors if we can.

It is very very high its worse on the skinny 14s tho they look tiny. Not bothered about the handling just the looks really so will just fit springs.

Matt

ClioSport 182
Blue4Ever said:
lol, was gonna say your tyres are on the wrong way

I might sound completly thick here but i dont know alot bout cars lol .. but how can you that tyres are on wrong way round lol

The tyres are directional. If you look at the rear tyre theres the V shaped grooves in. The point of the V should hit the ground first followed by the rest as the tyre rotates. This means that water is dispersed from the centre of the tyre to the edges and is removed.

As the wheels are there the edge of the V would hit the ground first followed by the point as the tyre rotated. This would drag water into the centre of the tyre causing it to aquaplane. Its very dangerous to use them fitted this way.

Matt

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
why does it look so high on 15" my standards r 15"s and its the same exact car but it dont look tht high

spiezels said:
why does it look so high on 15" my standards r 15"s and its the same exact car but it dont look tht high

are you sure they are standard? as far as i was aware the only mk2 ph1 to come with 15's was the 172. RXE, RSi and the others that came with alloys all had 14's.

Anyway as for the car, will look good, but will be expensive to insure with mods as a young driver.

Its still insured in my name with him as a named driver to make use of my no claims, plus i'll drive it as much as him.

The alloys added £30 to the premium as they're standard renault ones. The lowering added another £50 so not too bad.

Matt

how old are you tho? I found when it came to renewing on my clio that most companies wont touch under 25's on modified cars, and those that do are expensive.

Example - Churchill on standard Clio RXE 1.6 = £500
- Bell on Same car with custom exhaust = £830

Those are the 2 cheapest quotes I got for standard and modded.

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
clowo16v said:
The tyres are directional. If you look at the rear tyre theres the V shaped grooves in. The point of the V should hit the ground first followed by the rest as the tyre rotates. This means that water is dispersed from the centre of the tyre to the edges and is removed.

As the wheels are there the edge of the V would hit the ground first followed by the point as the tyre rotated. This would drag water into the centre of the tyre causing it to aquaplane. Its very dangerous to use them fitted this way.

Matt

To put it simply. The V (or arrow) should be going in the same direction as the tyre.