ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car sounds like a scooby!

Inferno 182
Hi got my 182 gearbox changed, and ever since I got it back its been playing up. Basically they put on the receipt an advisory for a camshaft dephaser. But after a day of having it back its unbearable to drive. Extremely under powered and the best way to describe it is it sounds like a Subaru boxer engine. I went back to the garage and showed him how bad it has got and he just said it was the camshaft dephaser, but then I explained that it was backfiring and told him that my plug leads did need replacing, he then agreed with me but still said about the dephaser, but personally I think he is trying to get more money out of me! I took it to another garage after that and they said straight away it would either be the plugs or the plug leads.

Has anyone else had this problem? As I don't want to buy the parts if its not definitely the plugs.

Clio 182
Does it sound like this?

Don't believe that it should have any affect on how the car drives though (unless it somehow completely disintegrates)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Inferno 182
It does sound slightly like that yes, but the power is awful, my foot was flat on the floor in 5th gear and I couldn't get over 55mph. It's lost all its torque.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
I had similar symptoms, got injectors refurbed and it's like a new car.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it would happen if the injector was to stick open (if that's possible on Renault type injectors). It would be the last thing I would check though...

Last edited:
mine had a similar missfire problem although not sure on power loss as didnt drive anywhere but the code reader said cyl 3 missfire i changed plugs/leads and coipack this didnt cure it but i noticed what i thought was plug 2 very wet. turns out what i thought was number 2 is actually number 3 as count from right to left put new injector in and was perfect..

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Oh, my symptoms were misfiring, loss of power and not sounding like it should, leads were fine, spark plugs were new. As soon as I got the injectors refurbed it was like a totally different car and that's no exaggeration!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Easiest check first is to pull off each injector plug one by one, see if one doesnt alter how it's running. That is the cylinder that has the issue.

Inferno 182
Had a look yesterday, turns out one of my spark plugs had snapped in half :/ don't have a clue how that happened! But I ended up replacing all the spark plugs and I still have the same problem. But the cylinder that had the damaged plug, the HT lead won't go in fully, only by a couple of mm. But do you think I'll need a new HT lead? Tried everywhere and can't get the leads till Monday!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Pull the HT lead off, if it makes no difference then yes its the lead. If you put some thick rubber gloves on to protect you from shock, you can pull off 1 HT lead at a time from the coil pack keeping it held close to see if the coil pack is producing a strong spark.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
When my clio was missfiring i replaced one thing at a time, plugs then coilpack and then leads.

Had to be the leads that were faulty didnt it >.>

172/vx220t/m135i
Had loss of power on mine, sounded like a scooby so had it plugged in and turned out to be an injector.

Inferno 182
I've had mine plugged in and it's just saying cylinder 3 misfire. Also had the injectors swapped when I did the leads so its got to be the coilpack. Just have to wait for it to turn up in the post now!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Had a look yesterday, turns out one of my spark plugs had snapped in half :/ don't have a clue how that happened! But I ended up replacing all the spark plugs and I still have the same problem. But the cylinder that had the damaged plug, the HT lead won't go in fully, only by a couple of mm. But do you think I'll need a new HT lead? Tried everywhere and can't get the leads till Monday!

hang on. Your plug is snapped in half?? You mean the tip part that the lead goes onto, or the actual full plug, ceramics and all?

If its just the tip, then this is why your lead wont fit back on, because the top will be stuck in it. Have a look before trying anything else.

Inferno 182
hang on. Your plug is snapped in half?? You mean the tip part that the lead goes onto, or the actual full plug, ceramics and all?

If its just the tip, then this is why your lead wont fit back on, because the top will be stuck in it. Have a look before trying anything else.

Yeah it fully snapped in half, but i pulled the top out of the lead, and it was a clean snap so no loose bits lying about. I've got new leads in anyway and thats not got it sorted. So it has to be the coilpack, if not then i think i might have some serious problems!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNQdlkstV8OBX_2LoEjmMIQWC9v9Ir_1xBXYsc0fQoRCIMziQqsw.jpg

Good guess ;)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Right I've just changed the coilpack and it's still not working!? Can anyone help??

have you tried swapping injector 3 for another (i.e swap injector 3 with injector 4, the actual injectors, not the connections)? just to fully eliminate it.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
you can tell if the mis-fire has moved to 4 by unplugging the connection to the injector; if no change then its the injector.